TI-Nspire™ CX II-T Is Now Available!
05-20-2019, 10:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2019 02:44 AM by toml_12953.)
RE: TI-Nspire™ CX II-T Is Now Available!
I just got my CX II CAS in the mail today. Fortunately it's a lot faster than the Student Software running on a 4.20GHz Core i7. It's still not in the same league as the HP Prime G2, though. I'll have exact benchmark figures soon. One thing I notes is that it actually has less memory than the first version! The CX CAS has 115.2 MB and the CX II CAS has 92.3 MB (both measurements are the amount available to the user)

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2019, 02:38 PM
(05-20-2019 10:23 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I just got my CX II CAS in the mail today.

How are the buttons compared to the CX?
05-21-2019, 03:22 PM
(05-21-2019 02:38 PM)Wes Loewer Wrote:  
(05-20-2019 10:23 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I just got my CX II CAS in the mail today.

How are the buttons compared to the CX?

They have a satisfying snap to them and are a little stiffer than the CX but then again, I've been using the CX for a few years so the buttons are broken in. It's possible the CX II will be less stiff after using it for some time. All-in-all, though, I'm very pleased with the new keyboard. I'm glad TI didn't go for cheap when it came to that. The CX II does weigh a little less than the CX but it still seems very solid. I don't regret the purchase a bit.

N.B. The TI-Nspire Computer Link software does NOT work with the CX II. I don't know if TI will be coming out with an update to that but right now, the latest Computer Link available on the website is a no-go. You can still transfer software to the calculator via the CX CAS Student Software which has been updated.

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-22-2019, 05:20 AM
(05-21-2019 03:22 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  You can still transfer software to the calculator via the CX CAS Student Software which has been updated.

Is that still payware? It's not much, about £30/yr if I recall, but it's the principle. If you've bought the hardware you shouldn't have to pay to use the accompanying software as well.
05-22-2019, 01:32 PM
(05-22-2019 05:20 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(05-21-2019 03:22 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  You can still transfer software to the calculator via the CX CAS Student Software which has been updated.

Is that still payware? It's not much, about £30/yr if I recall, but it's the principle. If you've bought the hardware you shouldn't have to pay to use the accompanying software as well.

Now the calculator comes with a perpetual license code for the software. I guess TI learned their lesson.

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-22-2019, 03:09 PM
(05-21-2019 03:22 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  They have a satisfying snap to them and are a little stiffer than the CX but then again, I've been using the CX for a few years so the buttons are broken in. It's possible the CX II will be less stiff after using it for some time.

Hmmm, I find the CX keys to be way too stiff already. Sounds like the new CX II keys are probably about the same as what a new CX would have.
05-22-2019, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2019 03:33 PM by ijabbott.)
(05-22-2019 01:32 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(05-22-2019 05:20 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Is that still payware? It's not much, about £30/yr if I recall, but it's the principle. If you've bought the hardware you shouldn't have to pay to use the accompanying software as well.

Now the calculator comes with a perpetual license code for the software. I guess TI learned their lesson.

The old CX did too. I didn't bother installing it because it only let you install it on a single computer and there was no official way to transfer the license to a different computer (apart from phoning up TI and begging for assistance).

After a bit of googling, there might be a way to transfer the license if the following post from a deleted user on Reddit is to be believed: [TUTORIAL] How to move a TI-Nspire CX CAS Software license from one PC to another.

u/[deleted] on Reddit Wrote:
  1. Go to "C:\ProgramData\TI-Nspire CX CAS\license" on your Windows machine
  2. Create a copy of the "lservrc" and keep it somewhere safe
  3. Paste it into the before mentioned path on your machine you want to transfer to license to.

I haven't tried it. The only comment from another Reddit user is:

u/Unkleben on Reddit Wrote:Does this actually work? Seems a little too easy

— Ian Abbott
05-26-2019, 12:40 AM
(05-16-2019 02:10 PM)Namir Wrote:  Hi All,

I just purchased the "TI-Nspire™ CX II-T graphing calculator" from AMAZON. They are asking USD 157.

Namir

I ordered one from Vernier. After shipping and taxes, it will be about $165. I'm getting the CAS version. I haven't done any serious work with the Nspire in a long time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2019, 03:57 AM
I received the CX II CAS today. The CX II's case is thinner than the original CX. I like the keys on the CX II better, easier to type. I think the CX II has a more defined screen resolution. On a simple test (for loop of 500 iterations), the CX II is about 2.5 times faster than the CX but the HP Prime is still the Speedy Gonzales of all calculators.
05-31-2019, 08:15 AM
(05-26-2019 12:40 AM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  I ordered one from Vernier. After shipping and taxes, it will be about $165. I'm getting the CAS version. I haven't done any serious work with the Nspire in a long time.

I think you'll appreciate the higher speed. If you used to run ndless, though, you'll have to wait for an update. It doesn't run on the CX II yet.

If you program in TI Basic, you might like the new graphics commands.

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-31-2019, 01:12 PM
The future is Python syntax with support for symbolic CAS data not the obsolete TIBASIC

Python syntax + CAS is already possible with Xcas
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-12519.html
05-31-2019, 07:29 PM
(05-31-2019 01:12 PM)compsystems Wrote:  The future is Python syntax with support for symbolic CAS data not the obsolete TIBASIC

I know! That's why I was so bummed to find out I'll have to wait for it on the TI. The folks who work on ndless are brilliant but that's not their full-time job so updates are spotty. Who knows when we'll see an updated version that works on Nspire OS 5.x so we can run MicroPython again. Heck, even the OS update to the original CX CAS breaks it and I haven't found a way to go back to OS 4.5.0.

Tom L
Cui bono?
06-01-2019, 05:33 AM
(05-31-2019 01:12 PM)compsystems Wrote:  The future is Python syntax with support for symbolic CAS data not the obsolete TIBASIC

Seems that Nspire went with Lua rather than Python.
06-01-2019, 12:29 PM
(06-01-2019 05:33 AM)Wes Loewer Wrote:  

Seems that Nspire went with Lua rather than Python.
But LUA does not interact with TI-CAS commands, even with PYTHON, unless the SYMPY package is included
https://www.sympy.org/en/index.html
06-01-2019, 03:45 PM
I will test TI-Nspire CX II after gained a free perpetual license of TI-Nspire CX Premium Teacher Software.
But I like HP Prime more than TI-Nspire.
06-02-2019, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2019 04:02 PM by Eddie W. Shore.)
The graphics commands on the CX-II is like the HP Prime. All the graphics are shown on a separate screen and everything is done in pixels. The screen is 318 x 212 pixels, close to the HP Prime.

The CX II was delivered to me on Thursday (Vernier is super quick on delivery). However, I had to relearn the Nspire before jumping in, so I put together a survival guide of the basics (this covers the basic, and original CX):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15XolSF...vpmVJfwcfw
06-02-2019, 04:31 PM
(06-02-2019 04:01 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  The graphics commands on the CX-II is like the HP Prime. All the graphics are shown on a separate screen and everything is done in pixels. The screen is 318 x 212 pixels, close to the HP Prime.

You don't have to work in pixels on either machine. You can set your own coordinate system.

To set a screen for graphing average temperature (F) over the years from 1995 to 2019:

On Prime:
Xmin:=1995; Xmax:=2019; //These values might need adjusting since Prime
Ymin:=-30; Ymax=105; // maps to the physical screen in a weird way.

On CX II:

SetWindow 1995,2019,-30,105

Also, Prime has a facility to grab either a part or a whole screen and put it somewhere else on the screen. This can be used sort of like sprites. The TI has no such facility (yet?)

Tom L
Cui bono?
06-06-2019, 04:06 AM
The TI-Nspire graphics mode is good in display graphics. Unfortunately, once graphics mode is entered, the Nspire stays in graphics mode. Not even calling a subroutine or another program terminates graphics mode.

This means that when the Nspire is in graphics mode, the commands Request, RequestStr, and Text are no longer accepted. So the only to get input and ouptut, is probably the use of the getkey command (and possibly a lot of string building, i.e. if getkey(1)="0", add 0 to the number string, use DrawText, etc). Maybe in a future update Request, RequestStr, and Text become available in graphics mode.

Here is an example of entering a number using getkey when the Nspire CX II is in graphics mode, this allows for entering decimal points and negative numbers. Press [enter] to terminate number entry:

Code:
Define enterdemo()=
Prgm
:© goal: develop input in graphics mode
:© use float mode
:setMode(1,1)
:Local str,num,k
:str:=""
:© use initial text
:Clear 
:  SetColor 0,0,0
:  DrawText 0,50,"Press [enter] to stop."
:
:
:© main loop: enter the numbers
:Loop
:  Clear 
:  UseBuffer 
:  DrawText 0,50,"Press [enter] to stop."
:
:  k:=getKey(1)
:  If k="." and inString(str,".")=0 Then
:    str:=str&"."
:  ElseIf k="0" Then
:    str:=str&"0"
:  ElseIf k="1" Then
:    str:=str&"1"
:  ElseIf k="2" Then
:    str:=str&"2"
:  ElseIf k="3" Then
:    str:=str&"3"
:  ElseIf k="4" Then
:    str:=str&"4"
:  ElseIf k="5" Then
:    str:=str&"5"
:  ElseIf k="6" Then
:    str:=str&"6"
:  ElseIf k="7" Then
:    str:=str&"7"
:  ElseIf k="8" Then
:    str:=str&"8"
:  ElseIf k="9" Then
:    str:=str&"9"
:  ElseIf k="−" Then
:    str:=string(−1*expr(str))
:  ElseIf k="del" and dim(str)>0 Then
:    str:=left(str,dim(str)-1)
:
:
:
:  ElseIf k="enter" Then
:© "lock" the number and leave
:  DrawText 0,100,str
:  PaintBuffer 
:    Exit
:  EndIf
:
:SetColor 0,0,255
:DrawText 0,100,str
:PaintBuffer 
:
:EndLoop
:© return number to home
:num:=expr(str)
:Disp num
:EndPrgm
06-19-2019, 03:19 PM
Hi Eddie,

I'm wondering, now that you have had the CX 11 CAS for awhile, what your thoughts are, how does it compare with the machine it replaces, both graphically, computationally, and any other differences/improvements. It appears as if it provides a wizard which allows for easier entry of differential equations with boundary conditions...
08-04-2021, 02:33 PM
Came across this thread while looking for the difference between the CX II and CX II-T machines apart from the colour scheme.

(05-22-2019 03:29 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  After a bit of googling, there might be a way to transfer the license if the following post from a deleted user on Reddit is to be believed: [TUTORIAL] How to move a TI-Nspire CX CAS Software license from one PC to another.

u/[deleted] on Reddit Wrote:
  1. Go to "C:\ProgramData\TI-Nspire CX CAS\license" on your Windows machine
  2. Create a copy of the "lservrc" and keep it somewhere safe
  3. Paste it into the before mentioned path on your machine you want to transfer to license to.

I haven't tried it. The only comment from another Reddit user is:

u/Unkleben on Reddit Wrote:Does this actually work? Seems a little too easy

It is a little too easy. I just tried and can confirm that this does not work.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)