SpaceX: The raptor engine
06-06-2019, 07:59 PM
SpaceX: The raptor engine
The raptor engine of SpaceX at Boca Chica beach

El comienzo para conquistar y habitar otros mundos.
The beginning to conquer and inhabit other worlds.

[Image: SpaceX_Raptor_Engine_at_Boca_Chica_Beach_image00.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2019, 10:07 AM
RE: SpaceX: The raptor engine
(06-06-2019 07:59 PM)compsystems Wrote:  The beginning to conquer and inhabit other worlds.

I highly doubt it. It would be a huge accomplishment just to send someone back to the moon, 50 years after the first moon landing.

Even if a space traveller is protected from lethal radiation, has air, water, food and sanitation, after some time in zero gravity they begin to develop serious health issues, some of which appear to be permanent, even after returning to Earth. Let's not even talk about the hazards of a mission to Mars, an inhospitable world. As the Kepler space telescope has shown, Earth is the only planet we know of that can sustain human life.

I think a lot of people get sucked in by the hype, fuelled by the BS coming out of Hollywood and absolutely ridiculous ideas of terraforming Mars.

We should instead be investing time and money on cleaning up our beautiful planet to improve our living standards and those of future generations.
06-07-2019, 10:10 AM
(06-07-2019 10:07 AM)Dan Wrote:  
(06-06-2019 07:59 PM)compsystems Wrote:  The beginning to conquer and inhabit other worlds.

I highly doubt it. It would be a huge accomplishment just to send someone back to the moon, 50 years after the first moon landing.

Even if a space traveller is protected from lethal radiation, has air, water, food and sanitation, after some time in zero gravity they begin to develop serious health issues, some of which appear to be permanent, even after returning to Earth. Let's not even talk about the hazards of a mission to Mars, an inhospitable world. As the Kepler space telescope has shown, Earth is the only planet we know of that can sustain human life.

I think a lot of people get sucked in by the hype, fuelled by the BS coming out of Hollywood and absolutely ridiculous ideas of terraforming Mars.

We should instead be investing time and money on cleaning up our beautiful planet to improve our living standards and those of future generations.

Concur wholeheartedly
06-07-2019, 10:13 AM
(06-07-2019 10:10 AM)Zaphod Wrote:  Concur wholeheartedly

Thank God, there is still hope for us.
06-07-2019, 03:54 PM
I suppose there are valid reasons for wanting to expand beyond our home planet. It's handy to have viable populations elsewhere as a backup.

— Ian Abbott
06-07-2019, 04:10 PM
(06-07-2019 10:07 AM)Dan Wrote:  improve our living standards and those of future generations.

give a man a fish vs teach a man to fish.

give someone $ to raise their living standards or create jobs from the space industry so they can fish themselves...
06-08-2019, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2019 08:12 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
(06-07-2019 04:10 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  
(06-07-2019 10:07 AM)Dan Wrote:  improve our living standards and those of future generations.

give a man a fish vs teach a man to fish.

give someone $ to raise their living standards or create jobs from the space industry so they can fish themselves...

1900s: "There are plenty more fish in the sea"
2000s: Fishing quotas and fishing wars
2100s: "There are plenty more fish in space"? Maybe?

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2019, 09:39 AM
(06-07-2019 10:07 AM)Dan Wrote:  I think a lot of people get sucked in by the hype, fuelled by the BS coming out of Hollywood and absolutely ridiculous ideas of terraforming Mars.

What... So you're telling me Total Recall didn't actually happen? I'm shocked!
06-08-2019, 12:37 PM
(06-08-2019 09:39 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(06-07-2019 10:07 AM)Dan Wrote:  I think a lot of people get sucked in by the hype, fuelled by the BS coming out of Hollywood and absolutely ridiculous ideas of terraforming Mars.

What... So you're telling me Total Recall didn't actually happen? I'm shocked!

The remake didn't actually happen but the one with Arnold Schwarzenegger did! Smile

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)