Calculator Project
10-08-2019, 06:58 PM
RE: Calculator Project
(10-08-2019 03:03 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  It makes sense to me! I use the basic four functions every day but only need trig, calculus and other advanced functions occasionally. I'd carry a four-banger in my pocket when going to the supermarket, the hardware store, the lumber yard, etc. In fact I do! The only thing is it doesn't use RPN. I'd pay for a basic RPN calculator. I know I may be in the tiny minority but this is a one-man calculator project, the Chinese aren't involved (unless the OP is Chinese) and there's no need for mass production. A sale of fifteen or twenty units would be fine. I'd buy six or seven myself to give out to friends and family. If nothing else it would be fun to watch them search for the Equals key!

First, in no way did I intend to imply that Dan's new project isn't viable or interesting, I certainly hope no one took my comments that way.

Gamo had expressed interest in a machine that seems to me quite different from what Dan is developing. He asked for a simple, limited feature, RPN machine with full stack display (based on the Android 11C/12C/15C portrait mode layout, which only has X in the display). While Dan's machine does have RPN and full stack (in color, plus lots more) it is not simple in any way, it seems to be in fact quite feature-rich, so I assumed Gamo was asking for something quite different. (But I'll add here that Dan's design looks quite interesting and if it can be realized in a handheld format, I'll be getting one!)

It probably doesn't need to be said, but it can't hurt: essentially all folks that want RPN and can understand/need the full stack, would not be satisfied with 4-banger functionality, hence my pessimistic world forecast. That said, if one were to appear, I'd probably buy one of these as well, so I'll go ahead and increase that to 11+7+1 = 19.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2019, 08:11 PM
(10-08-2019 12:22 PM)pinkman Wrote:  HP 17 BII+ should become your new friend.

why?
10-08-2019, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2019 08:28 PM by toml_12953.)
(10-08-2019 06:58 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  It probably doesn't need to be said, but it can't hurt: essentially all folks that want RPN and can understand/need the full stack, would not be satisfied with 4-banger functionality, hence my pessimistic world forecast. That said, if one were to appear, I'd probably buy one of these as well, so I'll go ahead and increase that to 11+7+1 = 19.

Wow! Crowd Funding here we come! Smile You are quite correct that a four-line, four-banger RPN calculator (maybe we could call it the RT-44 for Robert and Tom 4 line 4 function!) would not sell well. Maybe I just enjoy playing the advocatus diaboli, or in this case YOU would be the Devil's Advocate, since you're against the idea. Big Grin

Tom L
Cui bono?
10-09-2019, 12:43 AM
(10-08-2019 08:26 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(10-08-2019 06:58 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  It probably doesn't need to be said, but it can't hurt: essentially all folks that want RPN and can understand/need the full stack, would not be satisfied with 4-banger functionality, hence my pessimistic world forecast. That said, if one were to appear, I'd probably buy one of these as well, so I'll go ahead and increase that to 11+7+1 = 19.

Wow! Crowd Funding here we come! Smile You are quite correct that a four-line, four-banger RPN calculator (maybe we could call it the RT-44 for Robert and Tom 4 line 4 function!) would not sell well. Maybe I just enjoy playing the advocatus diaboli, or in this case YOU would be the Devil's Advocate, since you're against the idea. Big Grin

Well, I did mention that I'm interested in purchasing one of the devices whose very idea I'm against. We need some stronger Latin here... Smile

--Bob Prosperi
10-09-2019, 12:56 AM
(10-09-2019 12:43 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  We need some stronger Latin here... Smile

Sticking with the Catholic theme, how about Inquisitor Generalis? Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-09-2019, 06:13 AM
(10-07-2019 09:15 AM)Gamo Wrote:  Very cool project !!!
I have been looking for a basic RPN calculator that the display shown 4 lines of the stacks X, Y, Z and T
Functions including percent and square root with 4 Store Register Arithmetic.
Nobody make this kind of basic RPN calculator on the market.
Gamo
Assuming you don't have one, have you considered the HP 35s?
I know it is the opposite of a "Basic" RPN calculator but you don't *have* to use anything more than what you want. It is a RPN machine, shows two stack levels (X and Y), is still in production, is not too large and is relatively inexpensive. Maybe something to consider.
10-09-2019, 06:14 AM
(10-08-2019 06:42 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I need to fill all the openings! Just ask my wife. Smile

Errrr... Blush

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
10-09-2019, 06:44 AM
[Image: cell_phone_functions.png]

Greetings,
    Massimo

10-09-2019, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2019 08:00 AM by Gamo.)
Steve Simpkin:

HP35S the size is still big when compared to HP-12C and the 12C functions wise
are consider excellent for every day used especially the [%] button is in easy reach no need to use the shift key.
Then I should carry the 12C for a mean time since no other option is available yet, no wonder that the 12C last forever. Smile

Gamo
10-09-2019, 09:11 PM
(10-09-2019 06:14 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(10-08-2019 06:42 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I need to fill all the openings! Just ask my wife. Smile

Errrr... Blush

Oops! That didn't come out quite the way I intended it! I meant she knows I fill all my pockets before going anywhere! What did YOU think it meant?

Tom L
Cui bono?
10-09-2019, 09:13 PM
(10-09-2019 12:56 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(10-09-2019 12:43 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  We need some stronger Latin here... Smile

Sticking with the Catholic theme, how about Inquisitor Generalis? Big Grin

I didn't expect that! Big Grin

Tom L
Cui bono?
10-10-2019, 06:04 AM
(10-09-2019 09:11 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(10-09-2019 06:14 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Errrr... :blush:

Oops! That didn't come out quite the way I intended it! I meant she knows I fill all my pockets before going anywhere! What did YOU think it meant?

What I thought it meant? So why yours "Oops! That didn't come out quite the way I intended it!"? :P
And , you know, I'm latin, and twisted puns are my bread and butter. :D

Greetings,
    Massimo

10-11-2019, 10:25 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2019 10:48 PM by Dan.)
(10-07-2019 09:15 AM)Gamo Wrote:  I have been looking for a basic RPN calculator that the display shown 4 lines of the stacks X, Y, Z and T
Functions including percent and square root with 4 Store Register Arithmetic.
Nobody make this kind of basic RPN calculator on the market.

One of my aims is to create a calculator that the user can customise easily. It only took a few minutes to convert it to a 4 level stack and add a percent function.

After you've created your keypad layout, allocate the key numbers to the functions in the header file.

e.g. my ENTER key is in the bottom right corner (key 0) so in the header file I have #define ENTER 0. If you don't want a particular function set it to -1.

You can add a shift plane, a key held plane, make it programmable, change the font size, colours, status line, menu, etc. etc.

[Image: 48882498721_34e0b5f0e1_c.jpg]
12-04-2019, 06:49 AM
I have the same board + display and would like to build it. Cool programming language:

Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end.
12-19-2019, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2020 02:49 AM by Nad.)
According to the webpage he is now using this development board, which features a Cortex-M7 processor running at 500MHz. The display resolution is now 320x480. See the following video:

Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)