I have seen things...
07-24-2019, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2019 09:16 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
I have seen things...
... you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Rest in peace, Rutger Hauer. Thank you so much for the best monologue in science fiction cinema ever. This was not in the novel and it was not in the script. These were your words. You will not be forgotten.

Not much connection to HP calculators, but I guess (no: I know!) that many of us calculator addicts are generally also science and science fiction minded.

Max
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2019, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2019 11:13 PM by rprosperi.)
RE: I have seen things...
(07-24-2019 09:15 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  ... you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Rest in peace, Rutger Hauer. Thank you so much for the best monologue in science fiction cinema ever. This was not in the novel and it was not in the script. These were your words. You will not be forgotten.

Not much connection to HP calculators, but I guess (no: I know!) that many of us calculator addicts are generally also science and science fiction minded.

Max

Wow, I had not heard he had passed away, thanks for posting this Max. I agree, some of the very best lines in any movie ever, SF or otherwise IMHO. What could easily have been a brutal, 1-dimensional character was actually a subtle, beautifully acted, tragic character I will always remember. Hauer was also excellent in "Escape from Sobibor".

RIP.

--Bob Prosperi
07-24-2019, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2019 10:03 PM by Thomas Okken.)
He died last Friday, but the news wasn't made public until now, presumably to guarantee peace and quiet during his funeral, which was today. I just read about it in the Dutch news; it's probably not front-page news outside of the Netherlands (and Sci-Fi fandom).

Rust in vrede, Rutger!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-25-2019, 12:27 AM
(07-24-2019 09:15 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Thank you so much for the best monologue in science fiction cinema ever.

What I love about this monologue is that Rutger Hauer altered the lines in the script the night before filming without the knowledge of Ridley Scott. Smile

I'm wondering which cut of Blade Runner is everybodies favorite? Actually, I like the original with the voice over.

RIP Rutger Hauer.
07-25-2019, 12:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2019 12:47 AM by Dan.)
(07-25-2019 12:27 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I'm wondering which cut of Blade Runner is everybodies favorite? Actually, I like the original with the voice over.

Director's cut, no narration and no happy ending.

Great actor, also liked his portrayal of medieval/fantasy characters. RIP.
07-26-2019, 10:36 AM
Wonderful film with real depth and philosophical questioning.
There is only one worthwile version : the original with voice over.
After that, it was downhill through dollar-squeezing pseudo-artsy versions...
G.E.
07-26-2019, 10:36 AM
Wonderful film with real depth and philosophical questioning.
There is only one worthwile version : the original with voice over.
After that, it was downhill through dollar-squeezing pseudo-artsy versions...
G.E.
07-27-2019, 01:18 PM
There is an article today's Chronicle-Herald about Rutger Hauer mostly about him having starred in the film "Hobo With a Shotgun" that was shot here in Halifax.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)