EMU48 screen 131x80 expand?
08-22-2019, 08:25 AM
EMU48 screen 131x80 expand?
Hi, dear other EMU48 users.

I am very happy with the EMU48, because it runs on my phone and does the same as my hp49g+.

Is there any possibility to EXPAND the resolution of the screen? I think that the resolution of 131x80 limits the use of the calculator. The calculation power is very high, but the screen is often way too small for showing longer equation. It would be great to extend the resolution, so that equations can be shown in normal font and that scrolling on the screen is not needed. (ex: 262x160,262x80,524x320,VARIABLExVARIABLE,…)
Does anybody have a workaround or an idea? Any comment on this is very appreciated!

Kind Regards, Michael.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2019, 12:46 PM
RE: EMU48 screen 131x80 expand?
emu48 emulates real calculators. You can go back in history and change the calculators to have a higher screen resolution.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-14-2019, 04:51 PM
Trying to share my idea of a hp49g+ successor:
The idea is to an “upgrade” of the old system, with the possibility to run the old files without problems.
A new calc will only be used if you could run also your old programs on it….
Keyboard layout is a huge point to (maybe to versions with 48 and 49g+ layout).
I think it could be best having in on an android system with emu48 running in the background, with the option to jump into the “real” emu48.
I think the successor should be equipped with
* better editor,
* writing detection,
* speed
* EMU48
* Prime?

The "main" calc exchanges the files with the emulator. (see attached screenshot)
User can decide to calc on the main one, the 49g+ or the 48. Keypresses will be forwarded to the simulator.
User can decide to see main/49g+/48 screen.

Is there someone interest in it?
09-15-2019, 02:51 PM
I'm not familiar with the emu48 source but some emulators like Free42 separate the GUI front end from the emulator back end. That arrangement would allow you to add preprocessing features to the calculator like a better editor. The front end could also "peer into" the state of the emulator and display internal details the way i41cx displays registers.

Definitely not a project for the weekend programmer though!

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
09-15-2019, 04:42 PM
It's not a trivial task, but it would be nice to have some sort of "OCR" function, where it recognised the characters on the display and replaced then with nicely rendered characters (either higher resolution bitmaps or truetype characters).

It wouldn't work so well in the graphical plot environments, but would probably look okay in text-based environments and the equation writer.

— Ian Abbott
09-16-2019, 05:50 AM
(09-15-2019 02:51 PM)mfleming Wrote:  some emulators like Free42 separate the GUI front end from the emulator back end

Just to pick nits here, Free42 is definitely not an emulator.

An emulator software-emulates the original hardware and runs the original device's ROM in that emulated machine. E.g. Emu48 or the ARM-based emulator in the HP 50g.

Free42 is a complete rewrite and doesn't use a single byte of HP code like Emu42 does. Free42 is a simulator.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
09-16-2019, 11:24 AM
Great idea screen/text/"OCR" function recognition.
If found the "Text Execution" in Debug4x – a tool to execute commands by keyboard.
Another idea might be to use part of this “Text Execution” combined with bitmap recognize:
-> upscaling, when in “graphic mode”
-> bitmap/screen generation if in “normal” RPN-mode (numbers and ":" at the lift side).
-> independent EQW and MATRIX writer to have easier and friendlier input.
User could swap the screen to the usual emu48 screen.

With an extendend keyboard it could be a great thing for 48 users too:
*familiar keyboard
* power of the 50g

Attached the "Text Execution" in Debug4x with some expressions, to have an idea...
09-17-2019, 02:38 AM
If you can determine the communication protocol and mechanism between debug4x and emu48, then certainly you could write your own client to talk to emu48. Perhaps you can contact the author of emu48 for some starting information and whether the feature is available on android.

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)