Possible HHC door prize?
08-31-2019, 08:06 PM
Possible HHC door prize?
I've picked up, for free, a TI Programmable 57. It's in very nice shape, but uses a funny battery pack that would likely need a jury-rig replacement to allow it to run.

I'd be happy to mail it to Reno for HHC: is there interest in such a thing?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2019, 08:39 PM
RE: Possible HHC door prize?
(08-31-2019 08:06 PM)telemachos Wrote:  I've picked up, for free, a TI Programmable 57. It's in very nice shape, but uses a funny battery pack that would likely need a jury-rig replacement to allow it to run.

I'd be happy to mail it to Reno for HHC: is there interest in such a thing?

Yes. A TI-57 is of course not the most sought-after item in this crowd, but I can assure you it would NOT be left on the table when prize-drawing is completed. Smile

--Bob Prosperi
09-03-2019, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2019 08:57 PM by Jim Horn.)
Is there someone who will be at HHC2019 to whom I could send a few items for the door prize table? Since it looks like I may not be there, it would be nice to be able to contribute some small help.
09-03-2019, 10:12 PM
(09-03-2019 07:31 PM)Jim Horn Wrote:  Is there someone who will be at HHC2019 to whom I could send a few items for the doorprize table?
Euh! Joseph Horn ? Smile
09-04-2019, 03:56 AM
(09-03-2019 10:12 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 07:31 PM)Jim Horn Wrote:  Is there someone who will be at HHC2019 to whom I could send a few items for the doorprize table?
Euh! Joseph Horn ? Smile

Good idea! Since I'm driving there, I can bring more stuff than people who are flying there, so yes, you can send any door prizes to me, and I'll put them on the door prize table. N.B. Make sure I get them before September 17, because that morning my road trip begins. If you don't have my shipping address, PM me.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2019, 12:20 PM
(09-04-2019 03:56 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 10:12 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Euh! Joseph Horn ? Smile
Good idea! Since I'm driving there, I can bring more stuff than people who are flying there, so yes, you can send any door prizes to me, and I'll put them on the door prize table. N.B. Make sure I get them before September 17, because that morning my road trip begins. If you don't have my shipping address, PM me.
Oups! I got caught at my own game. It was intended as a joke.
I was finding it funny that Jim was asking if there was someone on the forum who could bring stuff to HHC while his brother was driving there.
Lesson learned, never try to make a joke in a language that you are not mastering, the backfiring potential is significant.
Sorry Joe.
Sylvain
09-04-2019, 04:00 PM
I'm mailing my TI-57 to the Hyatt itself, addressed as follows:

Hyatt Place Reno-Tahoe Airport
1790 East Plumb Lane, Reno, NV 89502
Attn: Sherry Howell/HHC 21-22 Sept.

I am assured that that will work; Sherry is meetings coordinator and she knows what HHC means.
09-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Thanks very much for supporting HHC, even if you can't make it yourself. Hopefully, you can attend a future HHC and attendees can thank you in person.

This note is from the Datamath Calculator Museum on the TI-57 page:

Quote:Early in production (about wk 36 year 1977) TI changed the battery pack and the related connector and charger from the SR-51-II style to the TI-55 style. The battery packs are not compatible, don't use a BP6 with a AC9132 charger !

Maybe this is related to the unusual battery pack you mentioned? Anhow, I just wanted to add the note to be sure some lucky winner doesn't kill it, assuming all TI's use the same power adapter. Smile

--Bob Prosperi
09-06-2019, 07:29 AM
Hello,

What is exactely the meaning of "The door prize" ?

I guess it it a table with gifts for winners ?

Good day and good meeting in Reno !

Gérard.
09-06-2019, 05:34 PM
(09-06-2019 07:29 AM)ggauny@live.fr Wrote:  Hello,

What is exactely the meaning of "The door prize" ?

I guess it it a table with gifts for winners ?

Good day and good meeting in Reno !

In this case, attendees have traditionally brought calc-related (and some not calc related) items which they are willing to donate, and they are all placed on tables around the conference room. With the conference registration, a numbered prize ticket is given to each attendee. Then at the end of the conference, the ticket numbers are drawn randomly and each person is then able to choose a prize from the prize tables. The object has been to re-distribute all the items back to the group, so frequently, the prize-ticket drawing continues over and over until all the prizes are gone. I think in one conference, we had to go through all the tickets randomly around four times. It takes a relatively long time (approaching an hour), but is usually fun and there is typically SOMETHING that each person desires. In addition, we all get to also take home other peoples' junk <grin>.

Jake
09-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Hi,

Thank you Jake for this clear explanaition (explication).
Now I see what it is.

Good meeting.

PS : I have already the CD Rom #6 HP Museum, what can I do to have
the latest version ?

Your Truly.

Gérard.
09-07-2019, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2019 10:51 AM by Thomas Okken.)
(09-07-2019 09:53 AM)ggauny@live.fr Wrote:  I have already the CD Rom #6 HP Museum, what can I do to have the latest version ?

Order the latest version, 8.0, from here. People who have bought an earlier version pay the upgrade price of $20 instead of the full price of $38. Details on the upgrade policy are here -- in a nutshell, you qualify for the discount if you purchased the older version yourself, from the HP Museum.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)