HP-48/49/50 emulation on iOS
09-17-2019, 04:10 PM
HP-48/49/50 emulation on iOS
I'm a longtime user of m48 and m48+ on iOS, but today I noticed the apps weren't working any more. I switched to a new phone last week, and apparently the data files used by these apps weren't transferred over, and the servers from which the apps load the ROMs, skins, help files, etc. appear to be down.

I sent an email to the author this morning, but given that his apps have disappeared from the App Store as well, I'm not holding out much hope of being able to use them again.

So I turn to the Forum for advice: what do you recommend for RPL calculator emulation on iOS? I'm interested in 48G *and* 49g+/50g emulation, but it doesn't have to be in one app; I used to use m48 for 48G emulation and m48+ for 49g+ emulation, and that arrangement worked fine. Any advice or insights would be most welcome.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2019, 02:55 AM
RE: HP-48/49/50 emulation on iOS
Facing the same problem I only found i48, which emulates the 48G but cannot load external progs or libs.
I also found HCalc lite cute because looking like my good old 28s, but I did not unlock the premium features.

Regards,
Thibault
Find all posts by this user
09-18-2019, 06:52 AM
Thanks! i48 looks like a decent m48 replacement.

There doesn't seem to be anything that emulates a 49g+/50g now. That's a shame...
09-18-2019, 07:13 AM
Check out Emu50g. At $8.99 it isn't super cheap but I thought it was as worth it. I just used it the other day to run the sum of three cubes solution for 42Smile
09-18-2019, 07:21 AM
Ooh, that looks promising. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

I'll tell the author he should update the app's keywords in his App Store listing. It's a bit unfortunate that it isn't found when you search for HP 50g. Smile
10-25-2019, 04:12 AM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2019 04:19 AM by NetMage.)
I believe it is possible to transfer the files from one ios device to another using the web server built-in to m48+. I think I did that last time I got a new phone.
I think I used another program (maybe Good Reader) to act as an intermediary, though it would probably be easier from a PC.
11-06-2019, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2019 06:09 PM by MDBarrett88.)
I had this issue after restoring my new iPhone from a back up of my old iPhone, but was able to resolve it by deleting m48+ off my new phone and installing again clean from the App Store, although now I can’t find it even under My Purchases anymore.[/i]

[font=Times New Roman][size=Large]
-M. D. Barrett
11-07-2019, 04:56 AM
(11-06-2019 06:03 PM)MDBarrett88 Wrote:  I had this issue after restoring my new iPhone from a back up of my old iPhone, but was able to resolve it by deleting m48+ off my new phone and installing again clean from the App Store, although now I can’t find it even under My Purchases anymore.[/i]

Yes unfortunately m48+ has been missing from the App Store for quite a while now. Even the http://www.mksg.de website is gone. I really liked that emulator Sad
11-07-2019, 10:02 AM
(11-07-2019 04:56 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  
(11-06-2019 06:03 PM)MDBarrett88 Wrote:  I had this issue after restoring my new iPhone from a back up of my old iPhone, but was able to resolve it by deleting m48+ off my new phone and installing again clean from the App Store, although now I can’t find it even under My Purchases anymore.[/i]

Yes unfortunately m48+ has been missing from the App Store for quite a while now. Even the http://www.mksg.de website is gone. I really liked that emulator Sad

Was it a paid for app? I thought the 48 ROM was only licensed for non-commercial use so maybe that's it?
11-07-2019, 07:50 PM
m48 was free, m48+ was paid for.
02-21-2020, 11:42 AM
Weird, this page:

https://www.mksg.de/m48/m48.html

is still alive. Any news on possible resurrection of this app?

Thanks
04-17-2020, 05:13 PM
(09-18-2019 07:13 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Check out Emu50g. At $8.99 it isn't super cheap but I thought it was as worth it. I just used it the other day to run the sum of three cubes solution for 42Smile

I find it runs reasonably well on latest gen iOS devices but it's development is frozen so I'm sure it will break one of these days (unless some other brave soul picks up development). I compared it's performance to it's Android twin (which utilises the latest 48g emulator core) and it's definitely a little more sluggish in places.

I particularly like using it on a latest gen iPad Mini. The form factor is a little better than with an iPhone 11/12 but it still has enough grunt to work fairly fluidly without the bulk of an iPad Pro.

The one major quirk I've encountered is that you need to slow down your keypad entry to approx 2 clicks per second otherwise its internal buffer is one of those things that can trigger sluggish behaviour.

All that said, for $8.99, I think it's worth it, and it's certainly something I appreciate having access to when I'm not packing my hardware 50g.
04-18-2020, 02:57 AM
I started with i48, then moved to M48, then over time I Purchased both M48+, then Emu50G.

They are so similar It is hard to believe do not come form same source files.

In about page of each app we have:

m48+ by Markus Gonser
Based on Emu48 for Windows mobile 1.16 by Christoph Gießelink and Sebastian Carlier

HP50G (Emu50g for copyright reasons??) by The Winter Storm.COM
Based on Emu48 for MacOS X by The Winter Storm.COM and m48+

Then in
https://shop.thewinterstorm.com/index.ph...&id_lang=1

Found this:
"Welcome everybody !

My name is Marek Zima. "Zima" means Winter, so this is the reason"

If around here, Thank you Markus and Marek for creating and publishing this applications. I use them quite often on my iPhone and iPad!

Now a final note on both apps About page:

"Source available upon request"

Adrian Coto
04-19-2020, 02:40 PM
I enjoy playing with the Emu50G - I think it’s the most professional of that series of calculator, though they all have that annoying keyboard input lag problem.

Another one worth looking into might be RPN 28x Calc for iOS which is a native app (no emulation), very snappy with an inspired user interface. It’s especially good on an iPad. More info and screenshots here.
04-21-2020, 03:17 PM
(04-19-2020 02:40 PM)tcab Wrote:  Another one worth looking into might be RPN 28x Calc for iOS which is a native app (no emulation), very snappy with an inspired user interface. It’s especially good on an iPad. More info and screenshots here.

I'm a big fan of this too. Rather than make a carbon copy of the 28s, the developer has made some great enhancements that take the 28s in completely new directions. I especially like the touch based enhancements to the stack. If only HP has thought of similar innovations for the the touchscreen of the HP Prime!
04-21-2020, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2020 04:58 PM by Gene.)
What I wish is that the RPN 28X app had a USER button to show all user-created variables and procedures. That limits my desire to use it.
05-10-2020, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2020 02:49 AM by Bruno Hall.)
I've been using m48 for years as well...

I had a copy on my two iOS devices, and when I replaced one of them with a newer model, I discovered this situation, and while i48 is better than nothing, it's far cry from m48.

It turns out it's possible to copy an installed app from one iOS device to another using a tool called iMazing (https://imazing.com).

Attached to this posting is m48 v1.3.6.1 in "iMazing format", which can be uploaded to an iOS device using iMazing, thereby allowing it to effectively be installed, even though it's no longer available in the app store. Of course at some point it may become incompatible with some future version of iOS, but for now at least, it still works.

After unzipping and then uploading it to your iOS device, you need to reset the app by tapping the screen, then Settings --> Advanced Settings --> Reset On Next Startup, then close and re-launch the app.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.zip  m48.zip (Size: 195.32 KB / Downloads: 43)
05-11-2020, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2020 05:41 PM by paulo.carvalho.)
(05-10-2020 08:58 AM)Bruno Hall Wrote:  I've been using m48 for years as well...

I had a copy on my two iOS devices, and when I replaced one of them with a newer model, I discovered this situation, and while i48 is better than nothing, it's far cry from m48.

It turns out it's possible to copy an installed app from one iOS device to another using a tool called iMazing (https://imazing.com).

Attached to this posting is m48 in "iMazing format", which can be uploaded to an iOS device using iMazing, thereby allowing it to effectively be installed, even though it's no longer available in the app store. Of course at some point it may become incompatible with some future version of iOS, but for now at least, it still works.

After unzipping and then uploading it to your iOS device, you need to reset the app by tapping the screen, then Settings --> Advanced Settings --> Reset On Next Startup, then close and re-launch the app.

Hi, I tried to install it in my iPhone SE 2020 (IOS 13.4.1) but nothing happened. Perhaps I do not know how to operate imazing properly. I went to Apps and chose to export the file to iPhone, but the file did not appeared in the iPhone...
05-17-2020, 02:44 AM
0. Unzip the file;
1. Launch iMazing, and get your device connected;
2. Click on Apps on the left side;
3. Click "Copy to Device" at the bottom;
4. Select the file.

It may want you to turn off "Find my iPhone", and do a somewhat unusual-looking reboot, but once complete, the icon should appear on the phone.

You'll then need to launch m48, and then reset it as described in the original post.

Bruno
05-17-2020, 02:55 AM
Do you still have m48+ installed?

If so, have a look at this:

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-13...#pid131414

... and maybe upload it to the forum?

Bruno

(10-25-2019 04:12 AM)NetMage Wrote:  I believe it is possible to transfer the files from one ios device to another using the web server built-in to m48+. I think I did that last time I got a new phone.
I think I used another program (maybe Good Reader) to act as an intermediary, though it would probably be easier from a PC.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)