Newbie questions: wifi and geometry constraints
11-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Newbie questions: wifi and geometry constraints
Hi all,
few days ago, I have bought the Pro Android version of HP Prime and now I would like to buy the real calcutator.

I have two questions, one related to the wifi connection of HP Prime and another question related to the geometry program.

Wifi
It is quite easy to move application using the Communication PC software and the tablet emulator app, and I would like to have the same interaction with the physical calculator but, reading the other threads, it seems that the wifi dongle is too expensive and cannot be found as standalone.
Have someone tried to connect an alternative dongle with success to HP Prime instead of using the original one?

Geometry
To solve a problem for my daughter, I have drawn a triangle and it is quite easy to move points and create animations.
Is it possible to specify constraints that lock measures (i.e. area, angle)? I have made those constraints in another app, but I was not able to specify in HP Prime.

For example, I would like to specify that an angle must be always 60° and anything in the picture should continue to move except the angle between the two segments I have specified.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Maurizio
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2019, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2019 10:39 PM by ijabbott.)
RE: Newbie questions: wifi and geometry constraints
The adaptor and base station are wireless, but not "wi-fi" (that is, not IEEE 802.11). The adaptors can communicate with each other and with the base station, but cannot communicate over a "wi-fi" network.

The good news is that you don't need the base station. As a minimum, you need 2 Prime wireless adaptors or 1 adaptor and 1 base station. With 2 adaptors, you can connect one of them to the PC like a base station, and connect the other to the Prime.

Officially, they are only sold in classroom packs, but some forum members may have some spare ones!

Of course, you could just connect the Prime to a PC with the supplied USB cable, but where's the fun in that?

— Ian Abbott
11-25-2019, 06:14 AM
Hello,

- Wireless: Joe said it all... Bottom line is that using a USB cable will work better, and faster and is the preferred solution when you only have a couple calculators to connect. Wireless if for connecting 10 to 40 of them (like in a classroom setting).

- Geometry: Sorry, the Prime geometry app is a "construction" type geometry app, it does not have constraints functionalities...

look for constraint based geometry app (Saltire software has one from memory) for app that do what you want.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
11-25-2019, 02:49 PM
(11-24-2019 06:24 PM)TheProgrammer Wrote:  Geometry
To solve a problem for my daughter, I have drawn a triangle and it is quite easy to move points and create animations.
Is it possible to specify constraints that lock measures (i.e. area, angle)? I have made those constraints in another app, but I was not able to specify in HP Prime.

Cyrille had the best answer, but I just add my 2 cents: the Plot view of the Geometry App is part of the conception process, it has to be used to help drawing.

Once you know this, you can simulate a lock on some of the parameters of your graphical construction, such as distances between points.

Example :

Symbolic view :
GA : point(1,1)
GB : point(GA+1)
GC : point(GA+1*i)

Plot view :
If you move A on the Plot view, B and C respect the constraints and move also.
If you move B or C, as the Plot view is a conception tool, the constraints are updated in symbolic view.
11-25-2019, 07:49 PM
Thanks a lot for all suggestions.
Maurizio

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)