Looks like RCL59 went missing (again)
02-10-2020, 05:26 AM
Looks like RCL59 went missing (again)
Hi all.

Just tried looking for RCL59. The iTunes App Store says, ’No Results.’ Going to the RCL59 website and clicking on the Apple App Store icon opens the Apple Store and pops up a ‘This item is currently not available in your country or region.’ And yes, I live in the US. Go figure.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2020, 12:37 PM
RE: Looks like RCL59 went missing (again)
Hello!

I don't live in the US and it is not available either. So maybe the developer simply withrew his App, or Apple withdrew it because ist does not meet the current standards (it is from 2016) or he didn't renew his 99$/year Appple developer subscription.

The Android version, which is called RCL-58 can still be downloaded and installed, but issues a warning message upon startup: "This software was developed for an earlier version of Android...". To me it looks as if the developer has lost interest, or time, to look after these apps.

Regards
Max
02-14-2020, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2020 05:56 PM by johanw.)
(02-10-2020 12:37 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  The Android version, which is called RCL-58 can still be downloaded and installed, but issues a warning message upon startup: "This software was developed for an earlier version of Android...". To me it looks as if the developer has lost interest, or time, to look after these apps.
That is a warning newer versions of Android give when an app has a too old targetAPI version (I thought it was for pre-6.0 because that version introduced the runtime requests for permissions instead of just giving it to the app).

Just changing the targetAPI can give some nasty side effects, the developer of JRPN 16c (a HP-16c emulator) did that and next thing was it's settings could not be saved anymore which required code changes.

Unfortunately Android is not a "write once, build always" platform like I'm used from most plain C code.
02-14-2020, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2020 08:14 PM by toml_12953.)
(02-14-2020 05:55 PM)johanw Wrote:  Unfortunately Android is not a "write once, build always" platform like I'm used from most plain C code.

Even with C if you write programs that use API functions available in the current OS that aren't available in older versions, they won't run on the older OS. Also, some functions are deprecated as an OS matures and are no longer available in the newer OS. That means if you wrote a C program that used to run, there's no guarantee it will still run in the newer OS. That's true of Linux, Windows, MacOS and iOS. Do you know of any OS that is still being developed where that isn't the case? Of course an OS that is no longer in production will never change.

Tom L
Cui bono?
02-14-2020, 09:49 PM
The latest versions of Windows and Linux will still happily run executables from the previous century. Even MacOS is pretty good about backward compatibility, as long as you're running 64-bit code, and they took over a decade between introducing 64-bit support and dropping 32-bit.

The way Apple and Google like to break binary compatibility in iOS and Android really is pretty annoying. Not that it's all that hard to deal with and keep apps up to date, but annoying nonetheless...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-15-2020, 02:40 AM
(02-14-2020 08:14 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(02-14-2020 05:55 PM)johanw Wrote:  Unfortunately Android is not a "write once, build always" platform like I'm used from most plain C code.

[...] Of course an OS that is no longer in production will never change.

That's why I only intend to program in senior category. Smile
02-15-2020, 01:37 PM
And don't even get me started on all the HP 65 programs that won't run as-is on an HP 67!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-16-2020, 05:07 AM
(02-15-2020 01:37 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  And don't even get me started on all the HP 65 programs that won't run as-is on an HP 67!

My emulator now supports HP-65 to HP-67 code conversions from the program editor. There are some code differences that cannot be easily transferred however, such as display formatting and things like D.MS+, ->OCT, etc.

The HP-65 NOP is converted to a SPACE in the 67 which does nothing, but the 97 will print a blank line.

cheers

Tony

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)