newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487]
03-28-2021, 08:15 PM
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1360 [ including official build]
(03-28-2021 05:43 PM)SammysHP Wrote:  Just started using newRPL on a HP 39gs. Great job with the firmware! Is there any schedule for a new release/build after 1360?

No actual dates, we are actively working on the Prime G1 port. Once that's in a state where it can be published, all platforms will be updated to the latest release (in sync), including Desktop versions with 50g and Prime look. But don't expect any new features on this release, it will merely enable the additional platform.

After that the project will refocus back to new features (graphics seems to be the obvious choice to move forward)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2021, 11:11 PM
In the PC version, I see the simulation of the grayscale on the monochrome screen, can these gray values ​​be replaced by color?
04-03-2021, 03:29 PM
(04-02-2021 11:11 PM)compsystems Wrote:  In the PC version, I see the simulation of the grayscale on the monochrome screen, can these gray values ​​be replaced by color?

Not at the moment, the PC/Android version with 50g look uses the same grayscale as the physical hardware. The new version with Prime look will have support for color, same as the physical hardware.
04-11-2021, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2021 11:49 PM by spiff72.)
Hello,

I am poking around with this newRPL option and have a few questions that are probably quite simple.

In looking through the wiki, I see that the autocomplete commands claims that you can scroll through the available autocomplete suggestions with AL-U or AL-D (which i read as alpha-up arrow or alpha-down arrow). This doesn't seem to do anything for me when using the simulator (build 1360). I am also unable to do the actual entry of the autocompletion suggestion which appears to be AL-Rightarrow.

Am I doing something wrong or does this not work in the simulator?

If it matters, my test case is trying to type PURGE to remove a variable.

Also is "PURGE" not available in a soft key or other method without typing it out?
EDIT: I managed to find this one under the System-Global soft menus.

Finally, is the correct method to enable alpha lock mode with caps to use the alpha-leftshift-alpha sequence?

Thanks!
04-11-2021, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2021 11:34 PM by spiff72.)
To add:

I am looking at installing this on a 39GS (which I just ordered off ebay), and possibly on my 50g (which I don't have on hand right now because it is on my desk in my office).

I have seen mention of it being possible to install on a prime as well. I have a Prime (g2), will that not work in my case?
04-12-2021, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2021 12:35 AM by Claudio L..)
(04-11-2021 11:31 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Hello,

I am poking around with this newRPL option and have a few questions that are probably quite simple.

In looking through the wiki, I see that the autocomplete commands claims that you can scroll through the available autocomplete suggestions with AL-U or AL-D (which i read as alpha-up arrow or alpha-down arrow). This doesn't seem to do anything for me when using the simulator (build 1360). I am also unable to do the actual entry of the autocompletion suggestion which appears to be AL-Rightarrow.

Also is "PURGE" not available in a soft key or other method without typing it out?

Finally, is the correct method to enable alpha lock mode with caps to use the alpha-leftshift-alpha sequence?

Thanks!

In the simulator, TAB is the Alpha key. Alpha is always locked in newRPL, there's no such thing as locking alpha. Just press Alpha and you'll see the C cursor indicating caps mode.
One touch of Alpha will switch to L. If no other key is pressed, another Alpha will take you out of alpha mode (just tap alpha twice).

Autocomplete uses Alpha-hold. Just type the first few letters and you'll see a suggestion. Press and HOLD alpha (TAB) while pressing cursors up and down to see other suggestions (if there's more than one, nothing will happen if there's a single suggestion or no suggestions possible with the characters you typed). For example type DU, there's several forms of DUP that you'll be able to see as suggestions. Right cursor (also holding alpha pressed) will complete the word.

Also, PURGE is at the STO key (actually HIST on the 50g). It's a long press, so put the name of the variable on the stack and long-press HIST to purge it.

And finally, Prime G2 is not supported, we are working on the Prime G1 only.

I hope you enjoy newRPL on all your machines!

Regards,
04-12-2021, 12:53 AM
(04-12-2021 12:34 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(04-11-2021 11:31 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Hello,

Thanks!

In the simulator, TAB is the Alpha key. Alpha is always locked in newRPL, there's no such thing as locking alpha. Just press Alpha and you'll see the C cursor indicating caps mode.
One touch of Alpha will switch to L. If no other key is pressed, another Alpha will take you out of alpha mode (just tap alpha twice).

Autocomplete uses Alpha-hold. Just type the first few letters and you'll see a suggestion. Press and HOLD alpha (TAB) while pressing cursors up and down to see other suggestions (if there's more than one, nothing will happen if there's a single suggestion or no suggestions possible with the characters you typed). For example type DU, there's several forms of DUP that you'll be able to see as suggestions. Right cursor (also holding alpha pressed) will complete the word.

Also, PURGE is at the STO key (actually HIST on the 50g). It's a long press, so put the name of the variable on the stack and long-press HIST to purge it.

And finally, Prime G2 is not supported, we are working on the Prime G1 only.

I hope you enjoy newRPL on all your machines!

Regards,

Got it! thanks for those helful comments. I didn't realize that PURGE was also a long press of the STO key. Also helpful to know about the "TAB" key being the equivalent of alpha for the simulator - I was wondering how one could do press-hold functions using a mouse!

I am hoping to print out a KB template for the 39gs (and maybe the 50g) once I have the materials on hand to do so.
04-14-2021, 11:56 AM
I got this installed on my 50g (still waiting on my ebay 39gs to ship)...

I have been going through the wiki here:
https://newrpl.wiki.hpgcc3.org/doku.php?...l:chapter1

I noticed that there are a few topics that aren't populated there. The ones I was interested in are:
Customizing the Keyboard
Creating Custom Menus
Settings

Are those not populated because they aren't implemented yet, or there is just no documentation yet?

So far I really like this project!

Thanks!
04-14-2021, 01:13 PM
(04-14-2021 11:56 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  I got this installed on my 50g (still waiting on my ebay 39gs to ship)...

I noticed that there are a few topics that aren't populated there. The ones I was interested in are:
Customizing the Keyboard
Creating Custom Menus
Settings

Are those not populated because they aren't implemented yet, or there is just no documentation yet?

Thanks!
Customizing keyboard feature is implemented. Some info about custom keyboard is in old thread. https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-46...y#pid66096
Visiting old threads help get some info about newRPL.

S.Korean / HP-50G | fx-570EX | fx-570CW | HP-200LX
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-14-2021, 02:44 PM
(04-14-2021 11:56 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  I got this installed on my 50g (still waiting on my ebay 39gs to ship)...

Customizing the Keyboard
Creating Custom Menus
Settings

Thanks!

Just not documented. There's many other areas as well where the wiki could use some help, I unfortunately have very limited time (and it shrinks more and more).
04-14-2021, 02:53 PM
(04-14-2021 01:13 PM)BINUBALL Wrote:  Customizing keyboard feature is implemented. Some info about custom keyboard is in old thread. https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-46...y#pid66096
Visiting old threads help get some info about newRPL.

Just a side note: keep in mind that what was said in those threads was "thinking out loud / brainstorming with the guys". Some things may have been changed/improved afterwards so it's a very poor documentation. If there's discrepancies, the wiki overrides whatever was said on the forums.
In this case the wiki is blank, so that link you provided is the best documentation in existence.
04-14-2021, 03:57 PM
Thanks for those resposes! I will check out that thread for more info on the customization of the keyboard.

Is there an interface of any kind for settings? I can't go back and look at the stock ROM for the 50g without flashing it back, but I thought there were some screens where you could configure various settings. Is there a setting for the timeout of the screen? (I can't recall if that was in the stock firmware or not).

Same question for the custom menus? Is there a particular place to search (maybe in these forums) for some of those missing wiki entry topics?

Thanks again!
04-14-2021, 08:18 PM
An idea a bit off topic, but related.
When hp49 came out, by default it started in algebraic mode, but it was actually a cloaked RPN.
Interesting if NewRPL included at least a stack management in algebraic mode, all this to bring the world of RPN closer to those who do not know them.
04-15-2021, 04:20 AM
Sorry for all of the questions, but as a newbie to this firmware, I am trying to get wrap my head around some of the features.

First question - how do you completely reset the calculator to factory defaults with this ROM installed? I want to wipe it completely (so it doesn't say "memory recovered" after the reset). I have tried the ON-A-C and ON-A-F combos, which take me to a menu where I appear to have a choice to either continue, ClearMem, or Reset. This screen appears to show the A key would continue, Clear Mem would be the C and/or D keys, and Reset would be the E and/or F keys. But I can't get past this screen other than pressing the A key (continue), which doesn't clear out settings as far as I can tell. I also

Second question - the reason that I am trying to do this is that I was playing around with the fonts for the STK and 1STK, and even though the fonts are clearly different between STK and the first stack level, if I use the FNTSTK and FNT1STK commands, BOTH return 'Font8C'. I want to revert back to the pristine state after the firmware was installed so I can make sure I didn't goof something up.

Thanks!
04-15-2021, 04:35 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2021 04:36 AM by SammysHP.)
@compsystems
There is no algebraic mode in newRPL.

@spiff72
To reset memory, first press ON-A-F and then press all three shift keys and C simultaneously.
https://newrpl.wiki.hpgcc3.org/doku.php?...andrestart

Try to set your font again for all types. If you haven't changed the font yet, it returns the wrong font. I've already reported that issue to Claudio.

I'm not aware of any configuration GUI or any GUI at all. Most settings are available from the system menu. Changing the auto-off timeout is something that I suggested to Claudio as well.
04-15-2021, 04:40 AM
(04-14-2021 08:18 PM)compsystems Wrote:  An idea a bit off topic, but related.
When hp49 came out, by default it started in algebraic mode, but it was actually a cloaked RPN.
Interesting if NewRPL included at least a stack management in algebraic mode, all this to bring the world of RPN closer to those who do not know them.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to install NewRPL who isn't thoroughly familiar with, and insistently desiring, the RPN experience.
04-15-2021, 05:18 AM
(04-15-2021 04:35 AM)SammysHP Wrote:  @compsystems
There is no algebraic mode in newRPL.

@spiff72
To reset memory, first press ON-A-F and then press all three shift keys and C simultaneously.
https://newrpl.wiki.hpgcc3.org/doku.php?...andrestart

Try to set your font again for all types. If you haven't changed the font yet, it returns the wrong font. I've already reported that issue to Claudio.

I'm not aware of any configuration GUI or any GUI at all. Most settings are available from the system menu. Changing the auto-off timeout is something that I suggested to Claudio as well.
Thanks Sammy!

I thought I head read every page of the wiki but must have missed that one. It never occurred to me that I would need shift keys (let alone all three of them to clear memory) but it makes sense to prevent an accidental wipe.

I ended up flashing the stock rom and then flashing back to newRPL. Now I know a faster way!

It’s also good to know the font thing isn’t just in my head. I even replicated it on the desktop sim.

Also glad to hear that I am not alone in wanting to see a bit longer option for the screen timeout. I haven’t timed it but it seems quite short compared to what I am used to (mainly using a Prime G2 lately). Was disappointed to hear that only the G1 was in the works for a newRPL makeover. Really curious to see what that implementation will look like on the higher res color screen... Is the architecture of the G2 significantly different from G1, causing the limitation?
04-15-2021, 08:20 AM
(04-14-2021 03:57 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Same question for the custom menus? Is there a particular place to search (maybe in these forums) for some of those missing wiki entry topics?
Thanks again!
I recommend some Claudio L.'s old threads. You can search in thread with button which exists thread page's bottom.
Threads written by Claudio L.
- newRPL releases
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-4645.html
Alpha Demo 0.9
Bulid 1255
Bulid 1360 (this thread)

S.Korean / HP-50G | fx-570EX | fx-570CW | HP-200LX
04-17-2021, 07:09 PM
(04-15-2021 04:40 AM)The Shadow Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 08:18 PM)compsystems Wrote:  An idea a bit off topic, but related.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to install NewRPL who isn't thoroughly familiar with, and insistently desiring, the RPN experience.

While it isn't too difficult to do an algebraic mode hack like the 50g had, it only derails the project and removes focus from the RPL environment. The sole purpose of this project is to keep alive the cohesive environment that the 48 series had.
People looking for an algebraic mode use a Prime, why in the world would they switch to newRPL...
04-20-2021, 09:06 PM
If we talk about the original firmware of the hp48 series, NewRPL's approach is correct, but if we talk about the hp48 + metakernel + erable (CAS) + ALG mode, New RPL would be a very complete calculator why?

Because if it incorporates the algrebraic mode or better standard input mode of mathematical expressions, it would be the first calculator in the world to run a program written in normal mode that actually shows the intermediate steps in a mathematical expression, the vast majority of programming languages ​​in the world. . They evaluate expressions to their final numerical value, none of them shows the tree of operands and operators as if the RPN did, and this is possible by making the algebraic language be interpreted in RPN, also I trust that in a near time NewRPL will be part of their own hardware and to be able to sell it they have to include embedded Apps, one of them entered in algebraic mode, this in addition to being a hook for a universal audience, in the end it will operate in RPN. =]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)