newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487]
06-08-2021, 03:54 PM
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1360 [ including official build]
(06-07-2021 02:57 PM)SammysHP Wrote:  Unit tests! If you give us a framework we can help with implementing unit tests for each function. The mathematical functions shouldn't have any side effects and it should be easy to implement (although a lot of work to implement all unit tests, knowing all special cases etc).

I always liked the idea, in fact it's one of the reasons I kept alive the command line version of newRPL. We could modify it to be an automated test bench.
If somebody wants to help with the tedious task of creating test cases for the 500 commands... or at least for the mathematically significant ones. The number of cases would be huge, since you can test several corner cases, each with several object types.

I can make it into a command line tool that opens a text file.
The text file needs to contain the newRPL code for the test. A test always must leave a 1 or a zero in the stack (1=pass/0=fail).
It can be run in batch, and stop if there's any failure.
How about that?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2021, 05:46 PM
Forget the unit tests, it’s a huge waste of time. But I would also ask, is there a build for the Prime yet? I have a G1 collecting dust here.
06-09-2021, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2021 07:13 PM by SammysHP.)
(06-09-2021 05:46 PM)Sukiari Wrote:  Forget the unit tests, it’s a huge waste of time.

CEIL is an easy function, yet it was wrong. Maybe many more functions are wrong as well, who knows? A uit test would have caught this easily.

Don't want to say that Claudio doesn't know what he does or that he does it without care. But mistakes can happen.

Claudio, your suggestion with the simple text files sounds good. It's a similar approach I've seen in other systems. Sadly I wouldn't be much of a help not being a mathematician and not knowing what most of the functions do.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2021, 06:42 AM
Is it possible to have newRPL for Windows platform packaged in a simple .zip file instead of the install blob (i.e. sort of portable version)?

Thanks
06-12-2021, 08:39 PM
(06-10-2021 06:42 AM)Marco Polo Wrote:  Is it possible to have newRPL for Windows platform packaged in a simple .zip file instead of the install blob (i.e. sort of portable version)?

Thanks

It won't be portable, as the last file you opened is saved in the registry. But if you install it and just zip the files in the Program Files/newRPL folder you should be able to take it with you. Uninstalling will then clean your system and you only end up with the portable version.
06-14-2021, 08:09 AM
(06-12-2021 08:39 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(06-10-2021 06:42 AM)Marco Polo Wrote:  Is it possible to have newRPL for Windows platform packaged in a simple .zip file instead of the install blob (i.e. sort of portable version)?

Thanks

It won't be portable, as the last file you opened is saved in the registry. But if you install it and just zip the files in the Program Files/newRPL folder you should be able to take it with you. Uninstalling will then clean your system and you only end up with the portable version.
Got the point.
Anyway, my problem is that i would like to test newRPL in real life as emulator on my work laptop, for which i don't have the admin password. So i cannot install anything. Since the idea of a zip package.
No matter if something is written in the registry (as long as the program writes in users's areas)
07-27-2021, 05:13 PM
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1487 [ including official build]
newRPL was updated to build 1487!

See the release notes and updated download links on the first post. Also all official links in sourceforge were updated properly.

A big THANK YOU to fellow forum member erazor for his contribution to the Prime G1 port. Without his help I'd still be stuck trying to boot. His skills got us out of trouble and got the NAND driver and USB driver working, which was needed to release it to the public.

There's no install instructions in the wiki yet for the Prime.
I'll try to write something in the next few days, but basically just install the Firmware Bundler that comes in the newRPL Desktop installer, point it to the folder where the connectivity kit stores the firmware and point it to the ROM file you download for newRPL Prime (either from Sourceforge or from the links in the first post). Click proceed and let it do its magic, then use the Connectivity kit to update your calculator.
If your calculator boots normally then it's done. You need to reboot with On+Symb while quickly pressing and holding Esc to switch to newRPL.
To switch back to Prime, use Esc+A+F then choose Reset by Shift-hold and the menu key. As soon as it starts rebooting you need to quickly press and hold Esc to switch Operating systems.

Enjoy! And don't forget reporting bugs, it's important for the project.
07-27-2021, 05:40 PM
(07-27-2021 05:13 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  newRPL was updated to build 1487!

See the release notes and updated download links on the first post. Also all official links in sourceforge were updated properly.

A big THANK YOU to fellow forum member erazor for his contribution to the Prime G1 port. Without his help I'd still be stuck trying to boot. His skills got us out of trouble and got the NAND driver and USB driver working, which was needed to release it to the public.

There's no install instructions in the wiki yet for the Prime.
I'll try to write something in the next few days, but basically just install the Firmware Bundler that comes in the newRPL Desktop installer, point it to the folder where the connectivity kit stores the firmware and point it to the ROM file you download for newRPL Prime (either from Sourceforge or from the links in the first post). Click proceed and let it do its magic, then use the Connectivity kit to update your calculator.
If your calculator boots normally then it's done. You need to reboot with On+Symb while quickly pressing and holding Esc to switch to newRPL.
To switch back to Prime, use Esc+A+F then choose Reset by Shift-hold and the menu key. As soon as it starts rebooting you need to quickly press and hold Esc to switch Operating systems.

Enjoy! And don't forget reporting bugs, it's important for the project.
Whoah there - the Prime can DUAL BOOT newRPL and the normal Prime OS? If so, I need to crank up my search for a G1!
07-27-2021, 06:00 PM
I uninstalled the newRPL desktop and reinstalled the new version, but I get an error about Qt plugins not being able to initialize. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!
07-27-2021, 07:25 PM
(07-27-2021 06:00 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I uninstalled the newRPL desktop and reinstalled the new version, but I get an error about Qt plugins not being able to initialize. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I have tried on two different machines - one that DID have newRPL previously installed (which I removed first, as mentioned above), and another PC that has never had newRPL installed.

I swear I had some sort of issue before with the previous version (maybe missing fonts?), and I managed to get it working on that other platform with some searching online (or maybe forum help), but I can't figure this one out.
07-27-2021, 07:52 PM
(07-27-2021 06:00 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I uninstalled the newRPL desktop and reinstalled the new version, but I get an error about Qt plugins not being able to initialize. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

I'm using a new installer framework, perhaps I forgot some files and magically it works on my test system. Let me investigate. I apologize for this, it works fine on my side, I swear.
07-27-2021, 07:54 PM
(07-27-2021 07:52 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  

Thanks!

I'm using a new installer framework, perhaps I forgot some files and magically it works on my test system. Let me investigate. I apologize for this, it works fine on my side, I swear.

No problem! Looking forward to your findings and being able to update...
07-27-2021, 08:41 PM
(07-27-2021 07:54 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 07:52 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I'm using a new installer framework, perhaps I forgot some files and magically it works on my test system. Let me investigate. I apologize for this, it works fine on my side, I swear.

No problem! Looking forward to your findings and being able to update...

Done. I believe I fixed it. Please re-download (make sure you clear your browser's cache to make sure it's the new file you get).
07-27-2021, 08:48 PM
(07-27-2021 08:41 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 07:54 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  No problem! Looking forward to your findings and being able to update...

Done. I believe I fixed it. Please re-download (make sure you clear your browser's cache to make sure it's the new file you get).

That fixed it - thank you!

I'm sure I am jumping the gun here, but is there any documentation on the keyboard layout for the Prime yet?
07-27-2021, 08:51 PM

Thanks

Try the new installer for the 1487 version. It offers the choice to install only for the current user without any need for privilege escalation. I used a different installer just because it had this feature that you requested.
07-27-2021, 09:01 PM
(07-27-2021 05:40 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Whoah there - the Prime can DUAL BOOT newRPL and the normal Prime OS? If so, I need to crank up my search for a G1!

Yes it does. For the time being there's no persistence of data in flash memory, though. This means data is kept in RAM (like in the 50g), so you may lose your data:
* If you let the battery run out, which it may happen in only 2 or 3 days of no use (because newRPL needs to keep refreshing the RAM, using a little power even when it's off).
* Every time you switch to Prime and back.
07-27-2021, 09:06 PM
(07-27-2021 08:48 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 08:41 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Done. I believe I fixed it. Please re-download (make sure you clear your browser's cache to make sure it's the new file you get).

That fixed it - thank you!

I'm sure I am jumping the gun here, but is there any documentation on the keyboard layout for the Prime yet?

Post #48 of this thread.
07-27-2021, 09:20 PM
Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to update my 50g (which has the previous build of newRPL on it) via the new newRPL desktop. I can connect to it, but when I click the Update Firmware button and choose the newRPLfw.bin file, I get an error stating that "Selected file does not contain a valid image for target device". I also went to the sourceforge site and downloaded the file from there (for the 50g) and that one gives the same error message.

Does the calculator have to be in a special state to update?
07-27-2021, 09:37 PM
(07-27-2021 09:06 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 08:48 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  That fixed it - thank you!

Post #48 of this thread.

Got it - thanks. I need to draw myself a picture (or mark up a photo) to make sure I really do "get it". :-)
07-28-2021, 01:53 AM
(07-27-2021 09:20 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to update my 50g (which has the previous build of newRPL on it) via the new newRPL desktop. I can connect to it, but when I click the Update Firmware button and choose the newRPLfw.bin file, I get an error stating that "Selected file does not contain a valid image for target device". I also went to the sourceforge site and downloaded the file from there (for the 50g) and that one gives the same error message.

Does the calculator have to be in a special state to update?

Quick update on this...

I still can't get my 50g to update firmware via the newRPL desktop (same error as mentioned above). However, I just successfully updated my 39gs with no issues at all.

I'm not sure if there is something weird going on with my 50g, or if there is a problem with the firmware file (which I have tried two different downloads of).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)