newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487]
07-28-2021, 02:00 AM
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1487 [ including official build]
(07-27-2021 09:20 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to update my 50g (which has the previous build of newRPL on it) via the new newRPL desktop. I can connect to it, but when I click the Update Firmware button and choose the newRPLfw.bin file, I get an error stating that "Selected file does not contain a valid image for target device". I also went to the sourceforge site and downloaded the file from there (for the 50g) and that one gives the same error message.

Does the calculator have to be in a special state to update?

That's really strange. I did add more strict checks so you cannot accidedntally mix firmware files between 50g, 48g, 40gs, etc. and brick your calc. Older firmware images show as " newRPL Calc" when connecting over USB and the strict checks are disabled. New firmware identifies as "newRPL 50g" when connecting over USB and enables the stricter check based on the calc model that's reported. The check is done on the PC side, so the version you have should not matter.
I'll have to investigate once more, but that was tested and working months ago... Oh, well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2021, 02:13 AM
(07-28-2021 02:00 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 09:20 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to update my 50g (which has the previous build of newRPL on it) via the new newRPL desktop. I can connect to it, but when I click the Update Firmware button and choose the newRPLfw.bin file, I get an error stating that "Selected file does not contain a valid image for target device". I also went to the sourceforge site and downloaded the file from there (for the 50g) and that one gives the same error message.

Does the calculator have to be in a special state to update?

That's really strange. I did add more strict checks so you cannot accidedntally mix firmware files between 50g, 48g, 40gs, etc. and brick your calc. Older firmware images show as " newRPL Calc" when connecting over USB and the strict checks are disabled. New firmware identifies as "newRPL 50g" when connecting over USB and enables the stricter check based on the calc model that's reported. The check is done on the PC side, so the version you have should not matter.
I'll have to investigate once more, but that was tested and working months ago... Oh, well.

If it is useful, here are images of the firmware update dialog and the error message...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-28-2021, 02:17 AM
And here is one of the 39gs connected (after updating). I don't know if it stated "39gs" as shown here prior to updating, but it may have.

I see that the 50g does not report as a 50g - just newRPL as you described above.

07-28-2021, 06:06 AM
Finally new version of newRPL!
Desktop emulator looks nice. CEIL bug solved.

Question :
Why VER command on 50g still gives "(c) 2020 The newRPL Team" ?

S.Korean / HP-50G | fx-570EX | fx-570CW | HP-200LX
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-28-2021, 01:48 PM
(07-28-2021 01:53 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  Quick update on this...

I still can't get my 50g to update firmware via the newRPL desktop (same error as mentioned above). However, I just successfully updated my 39gs with no issues at all.

I'm not sure if there is something weird going on with my 50g, or if there is a problem with the firmware file (which I have tried two different downloads of).

Found the bug, turns out I left out the 50g while doing the checks of old firmware, so yes, all calcs would update fine from old firmware except the 50g. I fixed it, and created a new installer, so please uninstall, re-download the new installer (clearing browser cache to make sure), and reinstall. It should work with no issues now.

Sorry for the rocky start, it should be smoother sailing from now on.
07-28-2021, 01:49 PM
(07-28-2021 06:06 AM)BINUBALL Wrote:  Finally new version of newRPL!
Desktop emulator looks nice. CEIL bug solved.

Question :
Why VER command on 50g still gives "(c) 2020 The newRPL Team" ?

What? 2020 is over? Happy new Year!
07-28-2021, 01:57 PM
(07-28-2021 01:48 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(07-28-2021 01:53 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  Quick update on this...

I still can't get my 50g to update firmware via the newRPL desktop (same error as mentioned above). However, I just successfully updated my 39gs with no issues at all.

I'm not sure if there is something weird going on with my 50g, or if there is a problem with the firmware file (which I have tried two different downloads of).

Found the bug, turns out I left out the 50g while doing the checks of old firmware, so yes, all calcs would update fine from old firmware except the 50g. I fixed it, and created a new installer, so please uninstall, re-download the new installer (clearing browser cache to make sure), and reinstall. It should work with no issues now.

Sorry for the rocky start, it should be smoother sailing from now on.

I will give it a try - thanks!
07-28-2021, 02:17 PM
New installer worked! 50g is updated now. Thanks again...
07-28-2021, 05:45 PM
(07-27-2021 09:06 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 08:48 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  That fixed it - thank you!

I'm sure I am jumping the gun here, but is there any documentation on the keyboard layout for the Prime yet?

Post #48 of this thread.

Claudio,

I took a stab at showing the kb layout for the prime in a graphical format, based on your linked post above, and from punching keys on the "prime look" simulator. Note that my template for the 50g mistakenly omitted the symbol for PI on the space key.

I blanked out some key labels that didn't seem to have functions on the simulator, but I likely messed up a few.

Does this look correct as far as you can tell? I don't have a G1 so can't try to load the FW, all I have to use is the simulator.

I have a few things I haven't figure out yet:
- Does the on key still turn the calc on and off? I can't confirm this with the simulator.
- Does the "x t theta n" key only enter "X", or does it still enter the other values depending on the calculator state? I blanked it out and labeled it "X" since I couldn't figure out if it does anything besides "X"
- Keys I can't find (based on the 50g layout):
- Z
- << >>
- : : (is this just a manual entry of two colons now rather than a predefined pair?)
- #
- <= and >=
- "carriage return" (right shift . on 50g)

More items based on the 50g layout (some of the left and right shifted functions):
- FINANCE, CONVERT, TIME, UNITS, BASE, LIB, CMPLX, ARITH, ARG (not sure what this one does)
- PROG, ->NUM, ->Q

Thanks!

07-28-2021, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021 08:45 PM by spiff72.)
Two things:

First, I have a possible feature request for the newRPL desktop. Is it possible for the USBARCHIVE command to save the states of the fonts? I noticed on both my 50g and 39gs that the fonts reverted back to stock. Additionally, the 50g reverted to the white text on black background for the menus (which I had configured via flags to be the inverse).

Secondly, as a followup to my post above about the KB layout for the PrimeG1, I am struggling to figure out how to enter the << >> for programs. I tried entering a pair of <'s and >'s, but this didn't seem to work in the sim. My trial for this was to try to enter a simple 'INMM' conversion, where I would exectute STO with the following on the stack:
2: << 25.4 * >>
1: 'INMM'

But when I tried to enter the << 25.4 * >> I get an error when i press the * key

EDIT: I had the stack order of the program and the name reversed above, but it's moot, since Claudio pointed out where the << >> key is a few posts down...First comment about fonts/flags still stands though!
07-28-2021, 08:09 PM
(07-27-2021 08:51 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(06-10-2021 06:42 AM)Marco Polo Wrote:  Is it possible to have newRPL for Windows platform packaged in a simple .zip file instead of the install blob (i.e. sort of portable version)?

Thanks

Try the new installer for the 1487 version. It offers the choice to install only for the current user without any need for privilege escalation. I used a different installer just because it had this feature that you requested.
Thank you!
I am starting testing as soon as I get back from vacation!
07-28-2021, 08:31 PM
(07-28-2021 05:45 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Claudio,

I took a stab at showing the kb layout for the prime in a graphical format, based on your linked post above, and from punching keys on the "prime look" simulator. Note that my template for the 50g mistakenly omitted the symbol for PI on the space key.

I blanked out some key labels that didn't seem to have functions on the simulator, but I likely messed up a few.

Does this look correct as far as you can tell? I don't have a G1 so can't try to load the FW, all I have to use is the simulator.

It does, but there's more that's missing. You also need to try the shift-hold planes. For example where you have < also has <=, etc.
Keep in mind this is not set in stone, we can make usability adjustments as we go. I tried to keep the blue things on the keyboard being used with the blue shift and the orange ones with On, but sometimes I had to reverse it.

(07-28-2021 05:45 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I have a few things I haven't figure out yet:
- Does the on key still turn the calc on and off? I can't confirm this with the simulator.
- Does the "x t theta n" key only enter "X", or does it still enter the other values depending on the calculator state? I blanked it out and labeled it "X" since I couldn't figure out if it does anything besides "X"
- Z
- << >>
- : : (is this just a manual entry of two colons now rather than a predefined pair?)
- #
- <= and >=

More items based on the 50g layout (some of the left and right shifted functions):
- FINANCE, CONVERT, TIME, UNITS, BASE, LIB, CMPLX, ARITH, ARG (not sure what this one does)
- PROG, ->NUM, ->Q

Thanks!

- Z ===> it's exactly where you find it on the 50g: on the division.
- << >> ===> it's at 5 and 8 with shift (one of them needs to be removed)
- : : ====> Uses the "orange shift" On and minus.
- # ====> On + 3
- <= and >= =====> Same as > and < but holding the shift
- "carriage return" (right shift . on 50g) ====> On + Enter

The LIB menu is still at 2 (On+2), BASE is Blue Shift + 3 (as labeled), and Shift-hold rotates the base of level 1. Units is Blue Shift+ C (as labeled), CONVERT is at the same key but the other shift
->Q is the fraction key
->NUM is On + fraction key (like an Undo for fraction)

Most other menus aren't assigned yet (because there's less keys, so we are prioritizing the real estate, menus can be accessed in a couple of clicks from the main one, so not a high priority).

Then there's a few issues to discuss/resolve:

* There's a couple of missing symbols that need to be added. The :-> rule symbol isn't there, what other useful symbols are worth adding?

* In Alpha mode X and Y are up on top, so typing them is easy. Outside of Alpha mode, however, those are menu keys so X can't be there and the X key is at the D (has a x, t, Theta, n label). That's premium unshifted space that could be assigned to something else. I hardly ever need that X so maybe it can be used for something else?
07-28-2021, 08:42 PM
(07-28-2021 08:31 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(07-28-2021 05:45 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Claudio,

It does, but there's more that's missing. You also need to try the shift-hold planes. For example where you have < also has <=, etc.
Keep in mind this is not set in stone, we can make usability adjustments as we go. I tried to keep the blue things on the keyboard being used with the blue shift and the orange ones with On, but sometimes I had to reverse it.

(07-28-2021 05:45 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I have a few things I haven't figure out yet:
- Z
- << >>
- #
- <= and >=

- PROG, ->NUM, ->Q

Thanks!

- Z ===> it's exactly where you find it on the 50g: on the division.
- << >> ===> it's at 5 and 8 with shift (one of them needs to be removed)
- : : ====> Uses the "orange shift" On and minus.
- # ====> On + 3
- <= and >= =====> Same as > and < but holding the shift
- "carriage return" (right shift . on 50g) ====> On + Enter

The LIB menu is still at 2 (On+2), BASE is Blue Shift + 3 (as labeled), and Shift-hold rotates the base of level 1. Units is Blue Shift+ C (as labeled), CONVERT is at the same key but the other shift
->Q is the fraction key
->NUM is On + fraction key (like an Undo for fraction)

Most other menus aren't assigned yet (because there's less keys, so we are prioritizing the real estate, menus can be accessed in a couple of clicks from the main one, so not a high priority).

Then there's a few issues to discuss/resolve:

* There's a couple of missing symbols that need to be added. The :-> rule symbol isn't there, what other useful symbols are worth adding?

* In Alpha mode X and Y are up on top, so typing them is easy. Outside of Alpha mode, however, those are menu keys so X can't be there and the X key is at the D (has a x, t, Theta, n label). That's premium unshifted space that could be assigned to something else. I hardly ever need that X so maybe it can be used for something else?
Super helpful - thanks! I did stumble on a few more of them before you replied, but I never would have found some of the shift-hold buttons. I will try to update the image tonight with this new info (with the understanding that things could change, of course).

My hunt for a cheap G1 on ebay continues :-)
07-28-2021, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021 10:53 PM by spiff72.)
Sorry again for all the questions...

I have a few key functions I don't understand:
- What does the APPS key do (unshifted)? It seems to make the stack disappear, and pressing again makes it reappear. When the stack is gone, it won't accept entries to the stack.

- For the base rotation you described (using shift hold), do both shift buttons do this, but in opposite directions? I made this assumption for my graphic, but can't figure out how to test this on the simulator (simulate a hold).

From the list I provided earlier of right and left shifted items that are missing from the PrimeG1 layout (compared to the 50g), it looks like only the FINANCE, TIME, ARITH, and CMPLX are unaccounted for. I managed to find ARITH and CMPLX in the menu structure, but can't find TIME or FINANCE. Could those be assigned to the 1, 4, or 7 key as the LS and RS assignments, respectively? The same could be done for ARITH and CMPLX to one of the remaining of that group (if needed).

If you are missing the :-> symbol, maybe that could be the LS for the 0 key, or could replace the RS function for either 5 or 8 (since those are both <<>> currently)?

Finally, I am a bit confused by your comments about the X and Y keys being on menu keys (when outside of alpha). Are you suggesting that those SHOULD appear elsewhere? But if that is the case, wouldn't that apply to R, S, V and W as well? I agree that the unshifted C and D keys are valuable real estate, but I am not sure what would be a good candidate for those locations.

I am attaching an updated version of the graphic file with my best effort at documenting all the keys (including crude shift-hold nomenclature). I couldn't figure out how to generate the down and right arrow for carriage return, so I just used CR for that. I also wasn't sure if the "approx =" (LS Enter) was real or not, so I didn't blank that out yet.

EDIT: Note that I did NOT include any of the suggestions I made above in this graphic.

07-29-2021, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2021 12:06 PM by Alejandro Paz(Germany).)
Hei, I'd like to give it (finally) a try using a 39gs. My question is how should I strip the binary (newrpl39.bin) so I can flash it using a jlink (I "added" a jtag connector to my 39gs).
I would like to try with the connectivity kit but that never worked.
Alternatively I could try to flash from linux, is that possible ? The 39gs has a standard ROM.

I think that an "enable flash erase" or so maybe needed (besides the normal enable programming on flash devices):

Code:

J-Link>mem8 0, 16
00000000 = 06 00 00 EA 3F 00 00 EA 45 00 00 EA 4B 00 00 EA
00000010 = 51 00 00 EA FE FF
J-Link>loadfile d:\temp\newrpl39_stripped.bin
No address passed for .bin file. Assuming address: 0x0
Downloading file [d:\temp\newrpl39_stripped.bin]...
Writing target memory failed.
J-Link>

But maybe it is just that the jlink doesn't identify the flash chip attached to the arm9... I'll try to read a bit more on how to use it.

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Ale
07-29-2021, 02:25 PM
(07-28-2021 07:45 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  First, I have a possible feature request for the newRPL desktop. Is it possible for the USBARCHIVE command to save the states of the fonts? I noticed on both my 50g and 39gs that the fonts reverted back to stock. Additionally, the 50g reverted to the white text on black background for the menus (which I had configured via flags to be the inverse).

It does! Actually you need to be mindful of that when you send ARCHIVEs from let's say a Prime to a 50g. If you are using 18 pixel fonts on the menu, the 2 menu rows are 18*2 = 36 pixels, taking almost half of the 80 pixels of the screen. You could blindly type 'Font6A' ->FNTMENU to resolve it, but it's something to consider.
Of course flags are preserved too, inverted menus stay inverted. I've done USBARCHIVE on my work 50g, then restored it on a 39gs and a Prime, and my fonts remained and inverted menu stayed inverted. Of course I couldn't see a thing with a 6 pixel font on the Prime, I had to change it to a much larger font.

Try again, it has to work!
07-29-2021, 02:30 PM
(07-29-2021 02:25 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(07-28-2021 07:45 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  First, I have a possible feature request for the newRPL desktop. Is it possible for the USBARCHIVE command to save the states of the fonts? I noticed on both my 50g and 39gs that the fonts reverted back to stock. Additionally, the 50g reverted to the white text on black background for the menus (which I had configured via flags to be the inverse).

It does! Actually you need to be mindful of that when you send ARCHIVEs from let's say a Prime to a 50g. If you are using 18 pixel fonts on the menu, the 2 menu rows are 18*2 = 36 pixels, taking almost half of the 80 pixels of the screen. You could blindly type 'Font6A' ->FNTMENU to resolve it, but it's something to consider.
Of course flags are preserved too, inverted menus stay inverted. I've done USBARCHIVE on my work 50g, then restored it on a 39gs and a Prime, and my fonts remained and inverted menu stayed inverted. Of course I couldn't see a thing with a 6 pixel font on the Prime, I had to change it to a much larger font.

Try again, it has to work!

Strange. The fonts didn't seem to transfer when i restored them (at least on the 39gs - archived the 39gs and restored to same 39gs after the update). I will try a restore on the 50g again. I looked at it after I posted that message, and noticed my programs weren't there, so maybe I forgot to restore that archive in my excitement at getting it to finally update. :-)
07-29-2021, 02:35 PM
(07-29-2021 11:51 AM)Alejandro Paz(Germany) Wrote:  Hei, I'd like to give it (finally) a try using a 39gs. My question is how should I strip the binary (newrpl39.bin) so I can flash it using a jlink (I "added" a jtag connector to my 39gs).
I would like to try with the connectivity kit but that never worked.
Alternatively I could try to flash from linux, is that possible ? The 39gs has a standard ROM.

I think that an "enable flash erase" or so maybe needed (besides the normal enable programming on flash devices):

Code:

J-Link>mem8 0, 16
00000000 = 06 00 00 EA 3F 00 00 EA 45 00 00 EA 4B 00 00 EA
00000010 = 51 00 00 EA FE FF
J-Link>loadfile d:\temp\newrpl39_stripped.bin
No address passed for .bin file. Assuming address: 0x0
Downloading file [d:\temp\newrpl39_stripped.bin]...
Writing target memory failed.
J-Link>

But maybe it is just that the jlink doesn't identify the flash chip attached to the arm9... I'll try to read a bit more on how to use it.

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Ale

The file doesn't have any extra headers. The ROM merely changes the "KINPOHP39G+IMAGE" string at the beginning of the file with "Kinposhcopyright" (total 16 bytes changed). This is checked to see if the ROM is valid, so you need to do it or the calculator won't boot.
Once you replace that string, just write the whole file to 0x4000. Make sure you DON'T erase the blocks at 0 thru 0x3fff since that's the bootloader and it's not included in the rom file.

Best of luck.
07-29-2021, 02:40 PM
(07-29-2021 02:30 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Strange. The fonts didn't seem to transfer when i restored them (at least on the 39gs - archived the 39gs and restored to same 39gs after the update). I will try a restore on the 50g again. I looked at it after I posted that message, and noticed my programs weren't there, so maybe I forgot to restore that archive in my excitement at getting it to finally update. :-)

One thing: if you DON'T customize your font sizes and leave the standard ones after a memory clear, they won't transfer. When the user has no standard font specified, the system chooses the best font based on the size of the screen. Could it be what happened? To enforce a certain size, set the font, even if it's the same as the one the system chose for you.
07-29-2021, 02:43 PM
(07-29-2021 02:40 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(07-29-2021 02:30 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Strange. The fonts didn't seem to transfer when i restored them (at least on the 39gs - archived the 39gs and restored to same 39gs after the update). I will try a restore on the 50g again. I looked at it after I posted that message, and noticed my programs weren't there, so maybe I forgot to restore that archive in my excitement at getting it to finally update. :-)

One thing: if you DON'T customize your font sizes and leave the standard ones after a memory clear, they won't transfer. When the user has no standard font specified, the system chooses the best font based on the size of the screen. Could it be what happened? To enforce a certain size, set the font, even if it's the same as the one the system chose for you.

I'm pretty confident that I adjusted several of the fonts on the 39gs to make them bigger than default (for my old eyes to read better). I have noticed (and previously commented either in this thread or elsewhere) that the fonts seemed a bit flaky - like if you use the command to recall the font set for a particular item it reports a different font than what is really in use, and if you set the font again, it reports correctly? Are you aware of that?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)