Important - Reupdate your unit!
05-29-2014, 11:33 PM
RE: Important - Reupdate your unit!
Hi All,

I deleted the directories metioned.
Started connectivity kit and checked for updates. Update found and downloaded.
Right clicked my calculator and clicked update firmware.
Calcalulator went into recovery mode as expected and then it re-booted as expected.
Now when I did the C F O operation I still show the old version number.

Don't know what to try next. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2014, 12:47 AM
Tim,

Thanks for the quick detective work and update! I admit I was a bit bummed when I pulled out my Prime and it was down to less than 50% power after sitting unused in my bag for the day.

Of course, I can always fall back to my 15C which needs new batteries once every 10 years Smile
05-30-2014, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the new fix, Tim. My unit didn't have the battery drain, but I updated as you suggested. Took me awhile to realize that I had to do the C-F-O-on deal to my Prime while it was off to get to the diagnostic page confirming the update...I kept thinking that I hadn't successfully updated as I was checking on about on the tree through help!

Thanks for your dedication and genuine interest in this project!
05-30-2014, 06:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 06:53 AM by Kevin Ouellet.)
Followed everything explained in this thread and it still said no update available. I even checked for duplicate directories and found none.

It seems I don't have the extreme power drain issue, but could it be an issue that happens sporadically?

What else could I do to update if everything in this topic have failed?

EDIT: Nevermind, it appears that in my case, the folder was called "Micrologiciel", not "Firmware". However, even after deleting it + Temp, then reinstalling, all it does is downloading the firmware then it says "Terminé" (Done), but the calc doesn't even reboot nor go in recovery mode. I tried also putting the firmware from the FTP manually in MIcrologiciel or Firmware and no luck. In ON+FCO it still says the old number.

-Dream of Omnimaga
https://djomnimaga.music-2000.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-30-2014, 07:50 AM
I'm not having any battery issues with the previous update. I think I'll leave it alone for now.

Is there any reason, other than fast battery discharge, to re-update?
05-30-2014, 09:11 AM
I can confirm success on the <latest> update, regarding the battery drain and on/off issues:

1. Started out with fully charged battery, disconnected charge source, and after remaining off for over 10 hours, when turned on again this morning, the battery indication is reporting 100%.

2. There have been no on/off => cycle back on, issues since updating with yesterday's release.

Thanks, Tim!

-Dale-
05-30-2014, 10:37 AM
(05-30-2014 06:34 AM)Kevin Ouellet Wrote:  ... even after deleting it + Temp, then reinstalling, all it does is downloading the firmware then it says "Terminé" (Done), but the calc doesn't even reboot nor go in recovery mode.

The update doesn't happen automatically. The whole process takes two steps:

1. Download the new firmware from HP to your PC (which you already did).
2. Update your Prime by right-clicking it and selecting "Update firmware" (or "Mettre à jour le micrologiciel" if your CK is set to French).

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
05-30-2014, 11:15 AM
OK thanks, that worked. Smile

-Dream of Omnimaga
https://djomnimaga.music-2000.com
05-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Is there a way to see a more precise battery percentage?
05-30-2014, 01:25 PM
(05-29-2014 11:33 PM)JimS Wrote:  Now when I did the C F O operation I still show the old version number.

Don't know what to try next. Any ideas?

Jim

What is the output from your CFO diagnostic screen version info?

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-30-2014, 02:32 PM
I managed to update it after a few attempts, but now it starts up through the hp sign, x2+y2=1 screen with the circle, and then it restarts again. Same cycle, and restart again. It does not work restarting with the clip on the back.

I have tried getting in the diagnostics page, and I manage to get there. I have formatted the C: drive, and then reset from option 9, but it continues to behave as before.

I see that the version available is v0.031.6030. PCB version 00

Any help? How can I reset it, or reload the firmware? It is not seen by the connectivity kit in this state.

Best regards
05-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Hi Jose,

I kept getting OS Version V0.31.6030.
Finally, just a couple of minutes ago, I downloaded the Firmware update directly from the FTP site and extracted all the files into the Firmware folder on my computer without first deleting everything inside of it.
Lo and Behold that did the trick! Now C F O shows V0.032.6030.
I have absolutely no idea why that worked.

Thanks for responding!

Jim
05-30-2014, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 05:07 PM by Angus.)
I'd like to report that the update still works semi-perfectly on my system. (i7, win7-64).
Since my first firmware update with the old conn-kit I still have to re-install the mass storage drivers. They are lost after I initiate the update with the conn-kit. After re-installing the usb drivers I can finish the update with update.exe.

Now that I found the problem it is no problem for me, but some users might get something from shocked to angry when the update is just not working.

P.S: what I'm not d'accord with is that my programs are lost after this update -.-
05-31-2014, 05:41 AM
For what it's worth, I get a Run As dialog box (on XP) whenever I update the firmware. There's a check box under Current User labelled "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity". If I don't make sure that the box is not checked, the calculator goes into recovery mode, but the connectivity kit says "No updates available". There's a similar message when there really are no updates available, but in this second case, the dialog box is much smaller.
05-31-2014, 08:00 AM
Dear friends,

After updating the firmware, my calculator only works on external power. The battery seems to be dead. The battery indicator (when the unit is on power) changes every few seconds from 100% to "charging".
Any ideas most welcome!

Alex
05-31-2014, 01:52 PM
hello, I would like to update my prime, and a few days ago I dowloaded new firmware and connectivity kit files from a link posted here on MoHPC, I had no time for the update .......what a luck

Now I'm not able to find the post and the links, may you help me in that?
Best regards
05-31-2014, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 02:40 PM by jebem.)
(05-31-2014 08:00 AM)Alex Mark Wrote:  Dear friends,

After updating the firmware, my calculator only works on external power. The battery seems to be dead. The battery indicator (when the unit is on power) changes every few seconds from 100% to "charging".
Any ideas most welcome!

Alex

We know this updating procedure works because a lot of people have done it with success.
As far as I can see, all the situations reported in this thread are related to:
- PC/application configuration issues;
- Inadequate procedures.
So, let's be optimistic and assume your case fits one of the situations described Smile

I would do the following:

Step 0. Charge your calculator using the supplied HP charger for a few hours.
Make backup of your work if you need it. Be prepared to lose it in the calculator and in the PC Connectivity kit as well in the worst case scenario.

Step 1. On the PC: Make sure you are using an user account with full administration privileges. Remove all the existing firmware files. Search for all the firmware files that can be pointed to by the HP Connectivity Kit. Look for file names like:
- HP_Prime_Calculator_Firmware*
- APPSDISK.DAT
- BESTAARM.ROM
- MASTER.DAT
- release_info.txt
- version*
Just delete the above files, or at least move them to a dedicated folder created just for this purpose.

Step 2. Re-install the new version of the Connectivity Kit ( HP_Prime_Connectivity_Kit_20140331.exe ) on the PC. Software location at: "ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime"

Step 3. Run the new Connectivity Kit tool and click Help / Check for update.
Wait for the tool to contact the HP portal and download the proposed firmware for the calculator (it will detect the file named as HP_Prime_Calculator_Firmware_20140331.zip from the link referred above). This file will be stored in the "Temp" directory under the Working folder (check it at Edit / Preferences option). Also it will unzip this file in the "Firmware" folder under the Working folder.

Step 4. Plugin the HP-Prime to the USB port on the PC while Connectivity Kit tool is running.
(The first time it will take time to install the drivers and the firmware update may fail as well, so be patient and retry).
When your calculator is registered in the Connectivity Kit inventory, right-clicking it and select the option to update firmware.
The calculator starts receiving the new firmware and it will reboot at the end.

Step 5. Check the battery status now. It should look normal as usual. Do a soft reset (while it is powered ON, do a ON + Symb) just in case.

Step 6. Check the version in the help info:
Power ON the calculator and, press Help, select Tree, select About HP Prime, OK. The output should look like this:
HP Prime Graphing Calculator
Software Version 2014 3 31 (6030)
Hardware Version: A
CAS Version: 1.1.0-46
Serial Number: .....
Help Edition: 2014 03

Step 7. Check the version in the Diagnostic mode:
- Power OFF the calculator.
- Hold down C+F+O and then press On... and wait until it powers on into the diagnostic menu.
- Select A. Version info
And the output should be like this:
EA656 Version Info
DATA Version: V0.032.6030
OS Version: V0.032.6030

Released Version: V1.04
PCB Version: 00
Touch IC FW Ver: 26

Job done. No more issues with Power On/OFF and battery depletion.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-31-2014, 07:40 PM
Very nice, thorough and detailed procedure Jose, it will be very helpful for many folks having trouble updating their Prime. Thanks for taking the time to create and post this to help others.

--Bob Prosperi
05-31-2014, 10:22 PM
(05-29-2014 08:28 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  I scrupulously followed Tim's instruction and it did download again and I could reinstall the firmware.
Now if I go on Help/Tree/About HP Prime I see
Software Version: 2014 3 31 (6030)

If I'm not mistaken I should expect:
Software Version: 2014 3 32 (6030)
Am I right?

Also the firmware file that was downloaded is HP_Prime_Calculator_Firmware_20140331.zip so I would assume it is 331 and not 332.

So is it fixed? How can I tell?

Edit: woot woot just understood the CFO thingy (was wondering why the Chief Finance Officer was involved in the process but all the sudden things get their plain meaning...). So I twisted my 4 fingers like crazy and now indeed I see DATA: V0.32.6030. YES!

Pending issue: problem is that the emulator was not fixed and therefore it may still drain - link

Does the emulator have the battery drain problem too??? Is there a fix for the emulator???
06-01-2014, 08:51 AM
(05-31-2014 10:22 PM)Anderson Costa Wrote:  [quote='Tugdual' pid='12579' dateline='1401395288']
Does the emulator have the battery drain problem too??? Is there a fix for the emulator???
Does the emulator have a battery? In my opinion: no ...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)