Important - Reupdate your unit!
06-01-2014, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 09:31 AM by Alex Mark.)
RE: Important - Reupdate your unit!
jebem

Thank you for the most detailed instructions! Unfortunately, although I did exactly what you described, and I get the correct version info, the battery still seems dead. Perhaps it is a battery problem itself. I will try to get the unit replaced, if possible.

Kind of disappointing, although a great calculator in general.

Alex

(05-31-2014 02:23 PM)jebem Wrote:  
(05-31-2014 08:00 AM)Alex Mark Wrote:  Dear friends,

After updating the firmware, my calculator only works on external power. The battery seems to be dead. The battery indicator (when the unit is on power) changes every few seconds from 100% to "charging".
Any ideas most welcome!

Alex

We know this updating procedure works because a lot of people have done it with success.
As far as I can see, all the situations reported in this thread are related to:
- PC/application configuration issues;
- Inadequate procedures.
So, let's be optimistic and assume your case fits one of the situations described Smile

I would do the following:

[...]

Job done. No more issues with Power On/OFF and battery depletion.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 09:41 AM by jebem.)
(06-01-2014 09:29 AM)Alex Mark Wrote:  (...) Unfortunately, although I did exactly what you described, and I get the correct version info, the battery still seems dead. Perhaps it is a battery problem itself. I will try to get the unit replaced, if possible.

Kind of disappointing, although a great calculator in general.
Alex

Sorry to learn about that battery condition, Alex.
The best choice would be the HP warranty asking for a replacement.
You may even get lucky and receive the new HP-PRIME model G8X92AA (new hardware revision model that supports extra peripherals like wireless and data acquisition). Smile

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

06-01-2014, 02:39 PM
I am still in the same loop.

Start up HP screen.
x2+y2 =1 with and without circle
Restarts again

I could get out when the battery went off, but upon connection to the USB port, it restarts again.

the Prime can't be seen from the Connectivity kit.
I have tried the reset from the CFO combination and then option 9, the paper clip and on-apps-esc combination. It still is in the same loop.

What can I do? Tim? Cyrille?
06-01-2014, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 03:26 PM by jebem.)
(06-01-2014 02:39 PM)Jose Gonzalez Divasson Wrote:  (...) the Prime can't be seen from the Connectivity kit.

EDIT: See post number 2 from Tim:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-142...ight=reset

I would say that is the most probably cause for the issue.

You may try this:

Make sure the Windows can detect the USB device (the calculator, that is).
When the calculator is plugged to the PC:
- You should hear the typical Windows sound of a USB device being recognized.
- Open Windows Device Manager, select "Human Interfaces Devices" and you should have two additional entries: "HID-Compliant Device" and "USB Input Device". These two entries are removed as soon as you unplug the calculator from the USB PC port.

Uninstall the HP Connectivity software from Windows Control Panel.
Reboot the PC.
Do a fresh install of the HP Connectivity software.

It is well known that not all Windows PC are created equal.
Try a different USB port and a different PC.
The USB port must have power, so do not use hubs, etc in between the PC and the calculator.
The USB should be version 2 (I never tried old USB 1.1 and the new v3 may cause issues as well).

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

06-01-2014, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 03:47 PM by Tugdual.)
(06-01-2014 02:39 PM)Jose Gonzalez Divasson Wrote:  I am still in the same loop.

Start up HP screen.
x2+y2 =1 with and without circle
Restarts again

I could get out when the battery went off, but upon connection to the USB port, it restarts again.

the Prime can't be seen from the Connectivity kit.
I have tried the reset from the CFO combination and then option 9, the paper clip and on-apps-esc combination. It still is in the same loop.

What can I do? Tim? Cyrille?
I'm neither Cyrille nor Tim but here is what you can do (I had the same issue as what you describe).
Be careful, you'll have to be quick :-) and follow exactly the three steps below:
1. Power On the Prime, depress the ON key. Now don't wait and jump on step 2.
2. Press the Symb key (keep it pressed) and then On again
Now you shall see "Hp Prime recovery mode V13"

You may now plug the USB cable (hear the beep from windows?) and use "updater.exe" instead of the normal connectivity kit.

This cured the issue.

Note: USB support on the Prime is extremely weak and this is the root cause of the issue. For me the USB disconnected during the update procedure... for no reason. Also using the connectivity kit doesn't work at all because the USB port is systematically released just the second before the Kit wants to access the Prime. And please don't think for a second that my PC is broken, I do believe there are also serious issues with the USB on the Prime side and I feel lucky I didn't brick the calculator until now.
06-01-2014, 08:49 PM
The USB code of the Connectivity Kit is not ready for Prime Time (pun intended).
Do yourself a favor when you run into problems downloading FW to the Prime: if you have another PC available try the upgrade on it before you try something more drastic. I tried 2 out of 3 of my PCs and ended up bricking a Prime because the data transfer would stop right in the middle of transferring the boot loader. Yes, I was desperate. On my second Prime I ran into the same problems but I finally went to my third PC, an old Lenovo laptop. Guess what? No problems, at all! HP needs to fix this pronto. But then again, HP doesn't even acknowledge that there is a problem in the first place.

Note: USB support on the Prime is extremely weak and this is the root cause of the issue. For me the USB disconnected during the update procedure... for no reason. Also using the connectivity kit doesn't work at all because the USB port is systematically released just the second before the Kit wants to access the Prime. And please don't think for a second that my PC is broken, I do believe there are also serious issues with the USB on the Prime side and I feel lucky I didn't brick the calculator until now.
[/quote]
06-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Rant [was RE: Important - Reupdate your unit!]
(06-01-2014 08:49 PM)BluBear Wrote:  But then again, HP doesn't even acknowledge that there is a problem in the first place.
Hopefully, the mass layoff in progress will eventually cover the complete management as well as the legal departement.
06-02-2014, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 09:57 AM by Angus.)
You are a dreamer, right? Managment makes no mistakes. Never. No need to tweak the system there.
I must admit I lost faith in HP. In a wide span of their products. But that's how things are these days.

Long term decisions are old school. Quick money is state of the art. Firing employees is one way, selling half baked products is the other. Disappointed customers don't count, because they will buy the products anyways. In a way it is understandable. Though makes you sad.

Let's hope the chinese manufactures won't discover the old school values too soon....

edit: Just to clarify: I don't blame anyone for existing bugs, nor did I ever. My daily work teaches me every day that bug-free is impossible. I have to struggle with software-centric devices including precision analog electronics.
But I do blame hp for tolerating obvious problems and flaws from the beginning and for non existing feedback. They have people like Tim who is very encouraged and an essential part on the system. But on the other hand he states that his opinion (i.e. post) has nothing to do with hp.
And since yesterday I do blame hp for advertising a calculator for one year that CANNOT work as advertised. If I were a teacher who introduced the prime to my physics class some mounths ago I would be more than mad.
06-02-2014, 12:34 PM
I got an unexpected result updating my prime.
The updating failed and now even if I reset the calculator the display stops on the equation splash. The calculator does not respond any more...............
Tim, what must I do?
06-02-2014, 02:21 PM
(06-02-2014 12:34 PM)aurelio Wrote:  I got an unexpected result updating my prime.
The updating failed and now even if I reset the calculator the display stops on the equation splash. The calculator does not respond any more...............
Tim, what must I do?

Hold down the SYMB button, press a pin in the back, you will be back in the updater. Retry the update by running the updater.exe directly from the install directory.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
06-02-2014, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 03:47 PM by aurelio.)
(06-02-2014 02:21 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 12:34 PM)aurelio Wrote:  I got an unexpected result updating my prime.
Tim, what must I do?

Hold down the SYMB button, press a pin in the back, you will be back in the updater. Retry the update by running the updater.exe directly from the install directory.
Thank-you TIM, I've tryed with two PC's and 9 different USB ports, but unsuccessfully, altough each time the PC recognized the USB devices (PRIME updaters)
The display shows an error message (unknown command), each time with a different code..
Now after the pin and symb reset the display shows not only "HP Prime recovery mode V13" but also "CodeEntry: 0x0"

EDIT:
Just now I can see that the problem was due to a bad USB connection

and the problem was the cable, not the USB nor the PC

Excuse me if I did not read the other posts before
thank-you again
Now the upgrade is done.
06-02-2014, 07:36 PM
(06-02-2014 03:02 PM)aurelio Wrote:  and the problem was the cable, not the USB nor the PC

Well dang. I just had a similar issue with a different (non-HP) product last week. Drove me nuts. Turned out to be a bad cable as well. :-|

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
06-10-2014, 02:19 AM
I had tried updating using the virtual calculator - nothing but problems 321Mb of data downloaded without success… I used the instructions in this thread and I was successful… well partly I lost all my programs and and several Notes. when opening up two notes - the calculator automatically rebooted. I deleted these Notes. The other Notes seem to work.

My problem now is there is no 'send' button on the Notes, nor debug or run etc in the programs menu

How do I backup what little I have left?? and what do i do about the missing commands???

thanks
06-10-2014, 09:36 AM
(06-10-2014 02:19 AM)resolved Wrote:  My problem now is there is no 'send' button on the Notes, nor debug or run etc in the programs menu

How do I backup what little I have left?? and what do i do about the missing commands???

For backing up, use the backup feature of the Connectivity Kit. It saves (or restores) the whole machine in one step, including CAS variables (which includes CAS programs!).

Debug and Run are shown in the Program Catalog for regular programs, just not for CAS programs or apps.

All the "Send" buttons are suppressed by firmware 6030 if it detects that it's running on hardware version A. See Help / Tree / About, to see your hardware version (apparently yours is version A).

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2014, 02:52 AM
(05-31-2014 02:23 PM)jebem Wrote:  We know this updating procedure works because a lot of people have done it with success.

I'm guessing you never worked with customers or on any kind of a software or hardware development project. That's the exact OPPOSITE of correct reasoning.

You don't conclude there is no problem because not everyone has it. You conclude there is no problem if NO ONE has it.

In any case, i'm getting the exact same symptom as Alex - update failed, now only works on external power. The first attempt at update failed at about 1/3, then i got stuck on x^2+y^2 screen. Rebooting in recovery mode and retrying update resulted in another failed update (this time at about 3/4 in) and a calculator that boots, but only works on USB power.
07-01-2014, 05:59 AM
(07-01-2014 02:52 AM)orcinus Wrote:  In any case, i'm getting the exact same symptom as Alex - update failed, now only works on external power. The first attempt at update failed at about 1/3, then i got stuck on x^2+y^2 screen. Rebooting in recovery mode and retrying update resulted in another failed update (this time at about 3/4 in) and a calculator that boots, but only works on USB power.

You didn't mention which method you used for performing the update. If you haven't tried the "emergency procedure" suggested above, try it: paperclip the Prime while holding down the Symb key until it goes into update mode, and then run the updater.exe program (NOT the Connectivity Kit itself!) directly from the Connectivity Kit's installation folder. If that doesn't work, try other USB ports.

Also, are you sure that you don't have the wrong update file that was accidentally uploaded by HP? It had a battery drain problem. It was soon replaced by HP with the correct version here: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
07-01-2014, 06:59 AM
(07-01-2014 02:52 AM)orcinus Wrote:  
(05-31-2014 02:23 PM)jebem Wrote:  We know this updating procedure works because a lot of people have done it with success.

I'm guessing you never worked with customers or on any kind of a software or hardware development project. That's the exact OPPOSITE of correct reasoning.

You don't conclude there is no problem because not everyone has it. You conclude there is no problem if NO ONE has it.

In any case, i'm getting the exact same symptom as Alex - update failed, now only works on external power. The first attempt at update failed at about 1/3, then i got stuck on x^2+y^2 screen. Rebooting in recovery mode and retrying update resulted in another failed update (this time at about 3/4 in) and a calculator that boots, but only works on USB power.

I never said there was no problems!
That is your opinion and your own jumping to conclusions.

And your guess is totally wrong.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

07-01-2014, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 07:07 AM by HP67.)
(07-01-2014 02:52 AM)orcinus Wrote:  
You don't conclude there is no problem because not everyone has it.

While what you said is correct it has nothing to do with what he said.

(07-01-2014 02:52 AM)orcinus Wrote:  You conclude there is no problem if NO ONE has it.

Anybody who works with hardware and software knows that statement is not tenable.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
07-19-2014, 05:51 AM
(06-10-2014 09:36 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  All the "Send" buttons are suppressed by firmware 6030 if it detects that it's running on hardware version A. See Help / Tree / About, to see your hardware version (apparently yours is version A).

being that the 'Send' buttons are suppressed in version A how would one get a copy of a Note that is in the handheld into the simulator for more efficient entry (using a full keyboard instead of the handheld) and updating???
07-19-2014, 06:17 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2014 06:29 AM by Joe Horn.)
(07-19-2014 05:51 AM)resolved Wrote:  being that the 'Send' buttons are suppressed in version A how would one get a copy of a Note that is in the handheld into the simulator for more efficient entry (using a full keyboard instead of the handheld) and updating???

One way is via the Connectivity Kit. It seems to require two steps: drag the Note from the calculator to the "content pane" (lower left corner), and then drag it from there to the emulator. The doc says that you should be able to drag it directly from the calculator to the emulator (in the Connectivity Kit), but I can't get that to do anything. (Can anybody here get that to work?) In any case, the two-step drag procedure does work.

[Image: CKxfer.png]

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)