Using The 'Museum' on an iPad
03-16-2020, 10:44 PM
Using The 'Museum' on an iPad
Specially, the manuals collection: I’ve uploaded the whole collection onto my iCloud Drive, but I can’t get the 'Start' page to open in a browser; it just opens the 'Start.htm' file within the Files app and none of the links work. Anyone had any joy with this?

TIA,

Tim
03-17-2020, 01:46 AM
RE: Using The 'Museum' on an iPad
(03-16-2020 10:44 PM)Ignatz Wrote:  Specially, the manuals collection: I’ve uploaded the whole collection onto my iCloud Drive, but I can’t get the 'Start' page to open in a browser; it just opens the 'Start.htm' file within the Files app and none of the links work. Anyone had any joy with this?

The structure (files, links, urls, etc.) on the USB drive is designed for access from a local drive, not from cloud storage; it won't work that way.

Copy the contents of the drive to a folder on your iPad and then open the start.htm file from a browser on the iPad (likely Safari).

If it won't all fit, you can copy just some of the /data/cd0n folders, but it's hard to know which to include as the contents are spread across many of the folders; as the contents grew, newer items were added to higher disk numbers, so you can't really break it down easily.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2020, 02:01 AM
Not sure if there's any easy way to load the whole thing on an iPad and browse locally - maybe something like FileBrowser will display HTML and understand file:// links.

I copied the whole museum disc set to my Raspberry Pi home web server and set up an internally accessible site hosting the contents. Works great for seamless browsing on my laptop or iPad. With a little SSL and password protection, I can even access it from anywhere I've got internet access.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2020, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Bob, Dave... will look at storing locally on the iPad.

TIA,

Tim
03-17-2020, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2020 12:06 AM by Ignatz.)
Hmmm... I’ve copied the whole 'HPMUSEUM' folder to the 'On My iPad' section of the 'Files' app, but tapping 'Start.htm' just opens it within the Files app, not in Safari: links on the start page that reference other sections of the start page work, but none of the external links to manuals work. There’s no option under 'Share' to open it in Safari. There was an option to open it in Chrome, but it returned the error: 'Chrome can’t open this type of link.'

TIA,

Tim
03-17-2020, 04:06 PM
Oh, well... I just ended up copying the ones I wanted from Files into Books.

TIA,

Tim

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)