suggestion for touch screen
05-30-2014, 06:46 PM
suggestion for touch screen
There were changes in the touch support in the latest software update. The last day I played with the function app and missed something.

When zooming in and out with the two fingers gesture zoom is always done in both dimensions, y and x range.
Personally I would prefer very much the following (plus I think it would be a bit more intuitive): Zoom (scale, compress) in the y-range when doing the zoom gesture vertically (y-direction) and scale the x range when zooming horizontally. The diagonal zoom gesture results in the corrent zoom behaviour.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 08:29 AM
RE: suggestion for touch screen
I would like to push my own post. Sorry if that is unwanted behaviour. I'm surprised that there was literally no reaction about my suggestion. I kept thinking about zooming and I still would prefer the behaviour described below. (X and y range can be zoomed independantly)

Please give comments and tell me what you think. I would like to realize if I'm stuck in my idea.
06-01-2014, 08:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 08:47 AM by eried.)
I would prefer the way it works in ALL phones and tablet. Not as you suggest.

Like how it works right now; but a bit smoothly (If you put each finger in some reference of a graph and zoom in/out, then the fingers should still stay in the same reference points as before. This is how it works now, but it seems sometimes one side shrink/enlarges first and zoom looks glitchy, but it does not bothers me as it works now)

Edit: Checking again, it seems the problem is that the 2 fingers pan gesture is messed up.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2014, 10:03 AM
I was inspired by the wish to keep the plot values x-wise, that means I wanted to keep the functin plotted from, say, 0..5 but since the function gives small y-values I just wanted to change the y-scaling with the vertical zoom gesture.
To me it is not like zooming into a picture, you know. (btw some apps for android and iOS do this kind of zoom - I had to search for their names)

You prefer to modify the x-range with every zoom, correct? Interessting, I'll try to think about benefits of that.
Thanks for the answer!
06-01-2014, 10:07 AM
(05-30-2014 06:46 PM)Angus Wrote:  There were changes in the touch support in the latest software update. The last day I played with the function app and missed something.

When zooming in and out with the two fingers gesture zoom is always done in both dimensions, y and x range.
Personally I would prefer very much the following (plus I think it would be a bit more intuitive): Zoom (scale, compress) in the y-range when doing the zoom gesture vertically (y-direction) and scale the x range when zooming horizontally. The diagonal zoom gesture results in the corrent zoom behaviour.

I agree with you. Actually I always need to play with zoom gesture and the view key (option 3) to change the y scale...
06-04-2014, 07:04 AM
(05-30-2014 06:46 PM)Angus Wrote:  Personally I would prefer very much the following (plus I think it would be a bit more intuitive): Zoom (scale, compress) in the y-range when doing the zoom gesture vertically (y-direction) and scale the x range when zooming horizontally. The diagonal zoom gesture results in the corrent zoom behaviour.

I think that would be a great way to handle zooming. It would make it very easy to zoom so as to see both the big picture as well as the details.

-wes
06-10-2014, 09:06 PM
(06-01-2014 08:41 AM)eried Wrote:  I would prefer the way it works in ALL phones and tablet. Not as you suggest.

Like how it works right now; but a bit smoothly (If you put each finger in some reference of a graph and zoom in/out, then the fingers should still stay in the same reference points as before. This is how it works now, but it seems sometimes one side shrink/enlarges first and zoom looks glitchy, but it does not bothers me as it works now)

Edit: Checking again, it seems the problem is that the 2 fingers pan gesture is messed up.

Have you tried writing a user program that displays where the system thinks the two fingers are?
06-10-2014, 09:41 PM
(06-10-2014 09:06 PM)jte Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 08:41 AM)eried Wrote:  I would prefer the way it works in ALL phones and tablet. Not as you suggest.

Have you tried writing a user program that displays where the system thinks the two fingers are?

In the calculator? No. Probably isn't possible. In android you get each tap in an array, same as with windows 8 (touch controller probably handles that)

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2014, 10:18 PM
(06-10-2014 09:41 PM)eried Wrote:  In the calculator? No. Probably isn't possible.

It is a 2 point touch screen so you can't get more then that, but is definitely possible. You get a list with two list items that each represent one touch point.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
06-11-2014, 08:08 PM

Being a specialized math device, I think to asume that it needs to behave like a general-purpose device is limiting it's possibilities. Maybe common gesture should provide the expected outcome by default, but if there is an option to activate more specialized behavior, then both approaches could be implemented. I imagine normal zooming if BOTH points move away from each other, axis zooming if only one point moves while the other stays put. Just saying...
05-21-2015, 09:30 PM
(05-30-2014 06:46 PM)Angus Wrote:  There were changes in the touch support in the latest software update. The last day I played with the function app and missed something.

This has changed with 7820.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)