Chimera 35; what version?
04-08-2020, 10:32 PM
Chimera 35; what version?
What's going on with my 35's keys? I don't see this combination of colors in any of the reference images.

(For reference, the label just says "Hewlett Packard", no model number. SN = 1249A11618.)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2020, 10:51 PM
RE: Chimera 35; what version?
(04-08-2020 10:32 PM)Orome Wrote:  What's going on with my 35's keys? I don't see this combination of colors in any of the reference images.

(For reference, the label just says "Hewlett Packard", no model number. SN = 1249A11618.)

It's a frankencalc - i.e. previously opened and assembled using parts from more than 1 machine. I've seen photos of old machines (35, 45, 80, etc.) with definitely different colored keys, which you normally don't notice as all the keys on a given unit are the same. I'm not sure if the original colors varies that much, or maybe some units' keys have faded from being out in the sun for long periods, etc.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
04-08-2020, 10:54 PM
(04-08-2020 10:51 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  It's a frankencalc - i.e. previously opened and assembled using parts from more than 1 machine.

"Fralkencalc" is good!

Any idea what version it is, or is to too cobbled together to tell?
04-09-2020, 01:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2020 01:59 AM by rprosperi.)
(04-08-2020 10:54 PM)Orome Wrote:  
(04-08-2020 10:51 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  It's a frankencalc - i.e. previously opened and assembled using parts from more than 1 machine.

"Fralkencalc" is good!

I certainly can't take credit for that name, but it works so well, it's become part of the vernacular...

If I'm not mistaken

V1=no '35' on label, red dot
V2=no '35' on label, but raised nib on 5 key
V3=no '35' on label, no raised nib on 5 key
V4='35' on label, key legends on bezel
V5='35' on label, key legends on keys

(lots of other details too of course)

Since you don't know which keys are original for sure, it's hard to say what this is...

--Bob Prosperi
04-09-2020, 03:56 AM
(04-09-2020 01:58 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  If I'm not mistaken

V1=no '35' on label, red dot
V2=no '35' on label, but raised nib on 5 key
V3=no '35' on label, no raised nib on 5 key
V4='35' on label, key legends on bezel
V5='35' on label, key legends on keys

(lots of other details too of course)

Since you don't know which keys are original for sure, it's hard to say what this is...

I think that it is considered that there are 4 major versions of the HP-35 which are described here. Your V2 and V3 are generally considered as a single major version: V2 with no '35' on label and no red dot. But of course, as you mentioned, along the HP-35 production there were several small changes within the major versions.

Regarding the keys I think it's just a reordering of the original keys which were placed in a different location on an occasion where the calc was opened, likely for repair. The blue keys for CHS and EEX have been moved to tan and RCL, and the light dark keys used for arc, sin, cos, tan have been reshuffled.
04-09-2020, 12:19 PM
It might be interesting to test if it has any of the calculation 'bugs' - log(2.02),..

Pics of the back would be interesting too.

TomC

(04-08-2020 10:54 PM)Orome Wrote:  

"Fralkencalc" is good!

04-09-2020, 12:38 PM
(04-09-2020 03:56 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Regarding the keys I think it's just a reordering of the original keys ...

So it sounds like it's a Version 2 with rearranged keys.

(Any idea how to put the keys back in their proper places?)
04-09-2020, 12:44 PM
(04-09-2020 03:56 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  I think that it is considered that there are 4 major versions of the HP-35 which are described here. Your V2 and V3 are generally considered as a single major version: V2 with no '35' on label and no red dot. But of course, as you mentioned, along the HP-35 production there were several small changes within the major versions.

Regarding the keys I think it's just a reordering of the original keys which were placed in a different location on an occasion where the calc was opened, likely for repair. The blue keys for CHS and EEX have been moved to tan and RCL, and the light dark keys used for arc, sin, cos, tan have been reshuffled.

I had always thought there were 4 as well until about 10 years ago when I learned the distinction of the raised dot. In truth there are probably even more if you take smaller details into consideration, e.g. I've read that the very earliest red dots have a different battery than 'late' red dot machines, etc.

And you're right, I had not counted the various colors, indeed it appears to be an original set but put back either randomly or in some pattern I can't make sense of. Nice catch!

--Bob Prosperi
04-09-2020, 04:04 PM
(04-08-2020 10:32 PM)Orome Wrote:  What's going on with my 35's keys? I don't see this combination of colors in any of the reference images.

The third from the left in the linked picture appears to have a key out of place as well, it would seem that all four of the trig keys should be the grey colour and the x<>y key a black button.

Th is the way they are on my V2 and most of the ones in the "Reference images" before the last version with the legends printed on the buttons.

Paul
04-09-2020, 04:08 PM
(04-09-2020 04:04 PM)Paul Berger (Canada) Wrote:  The third from the left in the linked picture appears to have a key out of place as wel...

Good catch. Yes, I guess it's not that uncommon for them to get scrambled?
04-09-2020, 06:38 PM
... and that one even doesn't have an On/Off switch
04-09-2020, 08:47 PM
... or LED's. Hey, it's just a case!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)