permission to use and modify the hp41 font
05-02-2020, 10:42 PM
permission to use and modify the hp41 font
hello MoHPC-forum,
i am currently working on a photoshop workshop to create elements of old hi-fi systems. one lesson deals with displays (LED, LCD, VFD). for that i was looking for a nice monospaced LCD-font and remembered the one on my HP41-calculaters.
there are several versions of this fonts in the forum. the one from malaga only runs under os x, the one from viera does not run on my imac at first. but after a new export with fontlab, it works fine. on the opportunity, i created a new glyph, i need for the workshop.
my questions: how can i contact one of the font-designers and ask them for permission to use the font for my project and modify it if necessary? are there other, newer versions of this very nice font available? can i offer the followers of my workshop a download of a modified font?
i would like to have this officially and correctly regulated and would appreciate the help of the forum.
best regards,
bernd scheurer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2020, 11:41 AM
RE: permission to use and modify the hp41 font
ok, after nobody can say anything about it, i assume that the fonts licensed according to gnu-glp can be used accordingly. thanks.
05-05-2020, 02:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2020 02:57 AM by Allen.)
(05-04-2020 11:41 AM)be-sign.net Wrote:  ok, after nobody can say anything about it, i assume that the fonts licensed according to gnu-glp can be used accordingly. thanks.

I do not understand how a lack of response within 13 hours during a global pandemic implies consent for you to unilaterally assume fonts you didn't create are gnu-glp licensed?

17bii | 32s | 32sii | 41c | 41cv | 41cx | 42s | 48g | 48g+ | 48gx | 50g | 30b

Find all posts by this user
05-05-2020, 02:58 AM
(05-05-2020 02:56 AM)Allen Wrote:  
(05-04-2020 11:41 AM)be-sign.net Wrote:  ok, after nobody can say anything about it, i assume that the fonts licensed according to gnu-glp can be used accordingly. thanks.

I do not understand how a lack of response within 24 hours during a global pandemic implies consent for you to unilaterally assume fonts you didn't create are gnu-glp licensed?

1 +

I was ready to reply along the same lines, however Allen's comments were far more eloquent than mine would have been. And cleaner.

--Bob Prosperi
05-05-2020, 08:15 AM
i'm sorry for the misunderstanding. let me explain:
in my post, i also asked if there are other fonts, besides the two mentioned. in my interim search, i also found two more. one on github with the copyright notice "Free for use - by LCVieira - 2004" and another in a publicly accessible google-onedrive folder with the notice "Copyright 2002 S.E. Vincent - Licensed under GNU GPL". so my question is actually answered.

i would never claim the right to use something that i am not allowed to use. that's why i had write this post!

regarding the period: despite the pandemic, other posts were also commented in the same period. i am probably wrongly assumed, that with over 100 readers, someone might have an idea. i'm sorry to have misjudged that.

all the best,
bernd

(05-05-2020 02:58 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(05-05-2020 02:56 AM)Allen Wrote:  I do not understand how a lack of response within 24 hours during a global pandemic implies consent for you to unilaterally assume fonts you didn't create are gnu-glp licensed?

1 +

I was ready to reply along the same lines, however Allen's comments were far more eloquent than mine would have been. And cleaner.
05-05-2020, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2020 09:43 AM by Nad.)
(05-02-2020 10:42 PM)be-sign.net Wrote:  i was looking for a nice monospaced LCD-font

Adafruit also has a collection of fonts available under the MIT license.

Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end.
05-05-2020, 02:16 PM
(05-05-2020 08:15 AM)be-sign.net Wrote:  i'm sorry for the misunderstanding. let me explain:

A measured and mature response to criticism Smile FYI, copyright is one of those touchy subjects for forum members, one that can result in full scale, indiscriminate napalming of the countryside. Members have quit, threatened to quit, or quit and returned over the subject.

I wonder if every online forum should have a prominent post titled "Here Be Minefields" with a list of cautionary topics for new forum members?

Just (sorta, kinda) kidding...
~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
05-05-2020, 02:30 PM
(05-05-2020 02:16 PM)mfleming Wrote:  
(05-05-2020 08:15 AM)be-sign.net Wrote:  i'm sorry for the misunderstanding. let me explain:

A measured and mature response to criticism Smile FYI, copyright is one of those touchy subjects for forum members, one that can result in full scale, indiscriminate napalming of the countryside. Members have quit, threatened to quit, or quit and returned over the subject.

I wonder if every online forum should have a prominent post titled "Here Be Minefields" with a list of cautionary topics for new forum members?

Just (sorta, kinda) kidding...
~Mark

thank you for your repost, mark. i hope, all is ok now - i have survived :-D
05-05-2020, 03:20 PM
I have to admit to apparently misinterpreting the post, reading it the same way that Allen did.

Thanks be-sign for clarifying the intent of your post and planned action promptly and clearly.

--Bob Prosperi
05-06-2020, 04:50 AM
(05-05-2020 02:30 PM)be-sign.net Wrote:  [thank you for your repost, mark. i hope, all is ok now - i have survived :-D

Welcome to the forum Bernd. Hope you find the sort of things you are looking for here. I'd be interested in hearing about the project you're working on in the hi-fi domain if time permits. Might be others here with the same interests. Me: Nakamichi SR-3A receiver, 480Z & MR-2 decks Smile

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
05-06-2020, 10:07 AM
after looking at different free versions of hp41-fonts, i found that the old, simple version of mr. viera is simply the best.
thanks to old forum posts, i found him here and on facebook and asked him directly about his permission. hope he will answer.
05-06-2020, 10:14 AM
(05-06-2020 04:50 AM)mfleming Wrote:  
(05-05-2020 02:30 PM)be-sign.net Wrote:  [thank you for your repost, mark. i hope, all is ok now - i have survived :-D

Welcome to the forum Bernd. Hope you find the sort of things you are looking for here. I'd be interested in hearing about the project you're working on in the hi-fi domain if time permits. Might be others here with the same interests. Me: Nakamichi SR-3A receiver, 480Z & MR-2 decks Smile

thanks for the friendly welcome. I've seen a lot of interesting things here - a very active community.
my father started with hp calculators and had an hp65 when i got my first hp33e.

nakacmici components are great. i only have a technics system from the 80s in midi format. including the tangential record player.

my hifi project is a photoshop course. the hp411 font is only used in the lesson for displays. this lesson should go online on may 16th if the question is answered in time.
05-07-2020, 09:20 AM
hello forum, good news: i reached luiz vieira and got permission from him to use his font for my photohop tutorial. the contribution with the hp41 font will probably be online on may 16 (CET). All previous lessons on the retro hifi project can be found here: https://www.be-sign.net/ta/ta-tutorials/ (please excuse that it is only in german, but every step is explained with screenshots).

many thanks for support and ideas, although my question has almost nothing to do with hp calculators.

incidentally, my collection includes: hp35 / hp65 / hp67 / hp31e / hp33c / hp34c / hp38c / hp28s / hp41c, cv, cx / hp71b / hp9114
05-08-2020, 05:39 AM
(05-07-2020 09:20 AM)be-sign.net Wrote:  incidentally, my collection includes: hp35 / hp65 / hp67 / hp31e / hp33c / hp34c / hp38c / hp28s / hp41c, cv, cx / hp71b / hp9114

You should have come here a long time ago!

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)