DM42.
08-16-2019, 02:45 PM
DM42.
Hi all,

I've receive right now my DM42 !
Beautiful calc realy close to my real HP42s.

I'm very happy, yes !

Gérard.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2019, 06:11 PM
RE: DM42.
Awesome. I've owned one for a while now. It has really grown on me over time. I feel like the keyboard software changes they have made have really improved the overall experience for me (though this could just be me getting used to the keypad overtime).

I also really like this machine, I find myself calculating stuff on it I could easily do in my head, just to get the chance to use it.
08-16-2019, 10:11 PM
(08-16-2019 06:11 PM)gomefun2 Wrote:  keyboard software changes

What changes? (sorry, haven’t been keeping up)

Mine sits on a shelf most of the time cos of the hard to press keys. Oh, and a piece of hair under the display (it arrived like this) which I was told to fix myself by somehow levering off the display glass which I was too scared to do. I do otherwise like the calc.
08-17-2019, 12:00 AM
(08-16-2019 10:11 PM)tcab Wrote:  
(08-16-2019 06:11 PM)gomefun2 Wrote:  keyboard software changes

What changes? (sorry, haven’t been keeping up)

Mine sits on a shelf most of the time cos of the hard to press keys. Oh, and a piece of hair under the display (it arrived like this) which I was told to fix myself by somehow levering off the display glass which I was too scared to do. I do otherwise like the calc.

The most recent f/w version adjusted some low-level key scan h/w timing that can improve key rollover, depending on how/how fast you press the keys. Several users have reported a big improvement, again because how people press keys varies.

Suggest you watch this excellent video by Logan West:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDxVxw6_SKU

it explains, and shows, an easy and safe technique for softening the key-press and many users have reported a big improvement.

--Bob Prosperi
08-17-2019, 07:03 AM
Hi,

I agree, keyboard is very good, no difference here with the keyboard of my HP42s.

Very smooth and precise.

A real pleasure to program on DM42 like HP41, HP42 in the past !

I love RPN, not too much RPL, and I love PPL.

Good day.

Gérard.
08-19-2019, 11:49 AM
(08-17-2019 12:00 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Suggest you watch this excellent video by Logan West:

That's very kind of you, Bob!
08-19-2019, 02:06 PM
(08-17-2019 12:00 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(08-16-2019 10:11 PM)tcab Wrote:  What changes? (sorry, haven’t been keeping up)

The most recent f/w version adjusted some low-level key scan h/w timing that can improve key rollover, depending on how/how fast you press the keys. Several users have reported a big improvement, again because how people press keys varies.

Suggest you watch this excellent video by Logan West:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDxVxw6_SKU

it explains, and shows, an easy and safe technique for softening the key-press and many users have reported a big improvement.

That technique certainly worked for me! I used it on both a beta unit and a shipping version. It fixed the stiff keys and uneven Enter key on both units.

Tom L
Cui bono?
08-19-2019, 02:40 PM
(08-16-2019 02:45 PM)ggauny@live.fr Wrote:  Hi all,

I've receive right now my DM42 !
Beautiful calc realy close to my real HP42s.

I'm very happy, yes !

BTW, if you want to keep in touch with the DM42 experts, including David and Michael the D and M in DM42 and Thomas Okken, the creator of Free 42, the calculator emulator on which the DM42 is based, go here and sign up:

https://forum.swissmicros.com/index.php

Tom L
Cui bono?
08-20-2019, 07:42 AM
He did a few days ago -- I approved his membership Smile

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
08-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Hi Tom,

Already done !

Gérard.
08-21-2020, 02:13 PM
Hello all,
I have a small collection of HP calculators. Recently I became interested in the SwissMicro HP clone of the HP42s. I am considering purchasing one. But I have a question or two.
It does not seem to come with a manual but appears to rely on the HP42s manuals(there appear to be a couple of them), or
One can download a pdf copy of the manual.
I'm not keen on pdf documents. They are difficult to cross reference when reading on line and they are very large when printed.
What is the situation?
08-21-2020, 03:31 PM
Here are some documents you can use with the DM42:
  • [PDF]] HP 42S manuals from the HPMUSEUM USB stick :
    • HP-42S Owner's Handbook
    • HP-42S Manuel d'utilisation (French)
    • HP-42S Programming Examples & Techniques
  • [Printed] HP-42S Quick Reference Guide available HERE from the original author
  • [On-line + PDF] DM42 User Manual– covers DM42 specific topics, it doesn't replace but complements the HP-42S manuals
  • [On-line + On-calc] DM42 Help (Quick reference guide):
There are a few original HP-42S owners manuals for sale on eBay but expect to pay a huge amount for any of them.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)