SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
03-02-2024, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2024 01:24 PM by rprosperi.)
RE: SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
(03-01-2024 05:59 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  That data blocker is an interesting concept, but fast charging relies on the data lines, so your charging will then be limited to probably 1 amp at 5 volts (or maybe 2 amps at 5 volts in some limited cases) which will be quite slow.

I am not too concerned with it since most of the time if there is a data connection it would rely on you confirming the popup asking to make a data connection to your phone, so the only way it otherwise could access your phone is if it exploits a not-yet-fixed vulnerability.

I normally bring my own charger so I can get QuickCharge which public chargers generally don't have, but if all I have available is a USB port I'm just going to plug in. I don't wear an aluminum foil hat either.

Bold of you to brave the cruel world of options with no safety shield upon your head.

As noted, these are more for folks that don't know better and will plug-in anywhere. Like you, I carry my original charger which supports all modes. I don't fear being jacked, but I do know that there are more AC ports in the world that USB charge ports.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2024, 01:06 PM
Good advice about keeping your own charger, and interesting to hear the feedback from others.

My original point was 'nothing beats cubic inches' as they used to say in the Harley Hog days.
The Type C has 0.5mm pin spacing instead of the standard USB 2.5mm..

Hence all the advice on the Net about using compressed air to keep debris out of the tiny socket pins.

Here's one engineer's reasoned take:

"On the 24 pin USB-C interface connector 4 pins are assigned to the +5V supply and 4 pins are assigned to the GND/return. The maximum current delivered by this port is 3A. This means that the port is rated to deliver a maximum of 15 watts. If the current is equally divided among 4 pins, each pin carries 750 mA. That is indeed a rather high current density for such small pins but in practice, since no revision of the standard has been issued, it is reasonable to assume that this high current density has not proven to be an issue.
Admittedly, this high current density does not seem to be consistent with conservative design practices and it is possible that in practice, few applications require anywhere near the full 15W rated power."

https://community.frame.work/t/usb-c-lon...blem/32547
https://www.wevolver.com/article/solving...s-problems

Whether Brussels was right to jump on this bandwagon is an existential question.
Neither the UK or the USA are following their lead. The Swiss will do their own thing as always.
03-02-2024, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2024 01:34 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

(03-02-2024 01:06 PM)MinkLib Wrote:  Neither the UK or the USA are following their lead. The Swiss will do their own thing as always.

Id did a quick research: Switzerland has already adopted USB-C as standard for charging since January 2024 - one year before the EU! Since Swiss Micro calculators are not rechargeable they can of course use for their data connection whatever they want.

India, as the most populated country in the world, will mandate USB-C for charging a few months after the EU.

In China USB-C has been the unofficial industry standard since some years, even if there seems to be no specific law.

Apple is de-facto moving towards USB-C already now, the newest iPads and iPhones come with USB-C connectors and all the newer MacBooks can be charged via USB-C (although some still retain the clever MagSafe connector as an alternative).

And last but not least, the State of California will mandate charging via USB-C from 2026 onward!

Regards
Max

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)