SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
09-25-2020, 03:25 PM
SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
SwissMicros has launched the DM41X, available immediately for purchase.

The announcement can be found on the SM Forum, here:

https://forum.swissmicros.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2563

Note that the production DM41X (and new DM42) have a much improved new keyboard design, addressing user comments about pressure needed to click keys, feel/response, possibly missed keys, etc.

And they've also launched a totally revised website, where you can purchase the DM41X, the DM42 and all other models as well.

The new SwissMicros website is at the same address, here:

https://www.swissmicros.com/

Note: As demand for the DM41X is anticipated to be high, I suggest you place your order as early as possible, as orders will be filled in the order they are received.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2020, 04:36 PM
RE: SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
Oh FINE, I'll order one. Wink

If the keyboard is massively better, I might end up ordering another DM42 as well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-25-2020, 06:11 PM
A joy for my soul!
Now I can retire my 41C, with broken heatstakes, flimsy zebra strip, worn-out switches etc. and put it to rest in my glassed book-shelf as the piece of technical art it is.

Please VOA, please BBC, please Deutche Welle....
Don't surrender the shortwave bands to China Radio International.
09-25-2020, 06:23 PM
I was expecting the production DM41X to be cheaper than it actually is.
At least cheaper than a DM42.

Oh well, I know I will buy another one, nonetheless...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
09-25-2020, 07:14 PM
When I click on the link to view the DM-41X manual from the page at https://www.swissmicros.com/technical, I get a 404 error. Perhaps it isn't quite ready for prime time?

Thanks,
Jake
09-25-2020, 08:30 PM
(09-25-2020 07:14 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  When I click on the link to view the DM-41X manual from the page at https://www.swissmicros.com/technical, I get a 404 error. Perhaps it isn't quite ready for prime time?

Thanks,
Jake

SwissMicros tries to emulate HP's calculator site, not only their calculators. Smile

Günter
09-25-2020, 09:19 PM
Guenter, that's hilarious. :-)
09-25-2020, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2020 10:59 PM by John Galt.)
The wait is finally over!

Big Grin

And a website refresh too...!
09-26-2020, 02:05 AM
(09-25-2020 08:30 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 07:14 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  When I click on the link to view the DM-41X manual from the page at https://www.swissmicros.com/technical, I get a 404 error. Perhaps it isn't quite ready for prime time?

Thanks,
Jake

SwissMicros tries to emulate HP's calculator site, not only their calculators. Smile

Günter

Awesome Günter, just awesome! Big Grin

--Bob Prosperi
09-26-2020, 02:10 AM
Calculator has been ordered, will report back my first impressions when I have it.
Sylvain
09-26-2020, 02:16 AM
Data point - recent shipments from SM to NY took 11 days, so much of the delays common earlier in the Pandemic seem to be nearly gone, and delivery times are almost back to normal.

--Bob Prosperi
09-26-2020, 03:00 AM
(09-25-2020 06:23 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  I was expecting the production DM41X to be cheaper than it actually is.
At least cheaper than a DM42.

Oh well, I know I will buy another one, nonetheless...

Actually the DM41X is 15% more expensive than a DM42. I guess the second color of silkscreening adds to the cost. Still there is a good chance I will buy one...

I am a bit dismayed it still uses micro USB when the whole industry has largely shifted to USB-C, though.
09-26-2020, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2020 09:14 AM by Luigi Vampa.)
(09-26-2020 03:00 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  I am a bit dismayed it still uses micro USB when the whole industry has largely shifted to USB-C, though.

I fully agree with you. Micro USB connectors seem less reliable than type C ones, you don’t have to worry about damaging the latter by putting them in the wrong way!

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
09-26-2020, 11:45 AM
(09-26-2020 02:16 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Data point - recent shipments from SM to NY took 11 days, so much of the delays common earlier in the Pandemic seem to be nearly gone, and delivery times are almost back to normal.

That's good news. Shipments to MI are usually around the 14-day mark, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised this time. Smile
09-26-2020, 11:12 PM
Is there somewhere a (short?) overview what this model has extra over the DM41(L)? BTW, the CC sized DM41 is still out of stock.
09-26-2020, 11:14 PM
(09-26-2020 11:12 PM)johanw Wrote:  Is there somewhere a (short?) overview what this model has extra over the DM41(L)? BTW, the CC sized DM41 is still out of stock.

It's essentially a 41CX with the ability to load module ROMs (I'm sure I'm oversimplifying things). Plus you've got the bigger screen with multi-line stack and program editor, flash memory that can presumably be used to back up/swap memory contents around, and it's faster than the DM41L. Oh, and the layout is correct this time. Wink
09-27-2020, 12:06 AM
Well, shoot. Ordered a production version. Darn that Swiss Micros. They do make nice calculators.
09-27-2020, 12:42 AM
is there any listing of what ”plug-in-modules” that are included at delivery,
and where to find additional modules?

/ Lars B

Please VOA, please BBC, please Deutche Welle....
Don't surrender the shortwave bands to China Radio International.
09-27-2020, 01:21 AM
(09-27-2020 12:42 AM)dxaren Wrote:  is there any listing of what ”plug-in-modules” that are included at delivery,
and where to find additional modules?

/ Lars B

Units will arrive with all of the HP Application Pac modules already in Flash, so you can simply plug them in. Any/all other modules (except for 41CL-specific ones) can be easily added by copying them to Flash and then plugging them in using the AM screen (steps explained in the User Manual).

SwissMicros will also have a .zip file with the latest version of all of Angel Martin's excellent modules available shortly on their new website.

One of the easiest places to find a large collection of module files is in the V41 Source package, available here:

https://hp.giesselink.com/v41.htm

--Bob Prosperi
09-27-2020, 01:55 AM
(09-26-2020 03:00 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  I am a bit dismayed it still uses micro USB when the whole industry has largely shifted to USB-C, though.

USB-c hardware is not as simple as the standard USB using the micro-b connector. USB-c is very complex, especially when making it legacy compatible. The firmware must negotiate with whatever is connected to the USB-c device to find out if it allows charging and, at what voltage the device can accept since USB-c can go to up to +20vdc charging, if the device can accept that level for fast charging, or if the device will even allow anything other than +5vdc on the input. USB-c greatly complicates the hardware and firmware. Perhaps Michael will move to USB-c with the next calculator he releases.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)