Pascal language for HP49-50
11-24-2020, 01:18 PM
RE: Pascal language for HP49-50
(11-24-2020 08:37 AM)OtakuLab Wrote:  Cross compilers certainly have their advantages in many areas, but not for the mentioned calculators!

This cross compiler may or may not have rudimentary code optimization, but as there is no native compiler, I'd say this one is the better choice. Smile

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2020, 02:06 PM
(11-24-2020 08:37 AM)OtakuLab Wrote:  The degree of code optimization is only rudimentary in most cross compilers, so native compilers are always preferable.

You keep making this statement, but how many cross compilers have you actually used? How many microcontroller targets have you written code for? Ever use an Arduino? How about the ARM equivalent SBC? No native compilers are available for any of those targets. I use a cross compiler for my day job, there is no way a native compiler, if one existed, could come close to the abilities of the hosted development environment on my laptop.
11-24-2020, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2020 06:25 PM by pier4r.)
(11-23-2020 12:02 AM)OtakuLab Wrote:  the end result is executable but hopelessly of more or less poor quality, and this is not an acceptable solution, external or internal.

Why is it not acceptable? Maybe if one wants to squeeze every possible once of speed (but then even the algorithm should be quite good), otherwise if it satisfies the user, why not? One has to be practical. The solution time includes the development time. If something runs in 3 milliseconds but requires 3 months to be programmed and tested, it is slower than something running in 3 days that required 3 days to be tested and finalized.

edit: nice the casio. Incredible what they did in the past.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
11-24-2020, 06:24 PM
(11-24-2020 02:06 PM)cruff Wrote:  
(11-24-2020 08:37 AM)OtakuLab Wrote:  The degree of code optimization is only rudimentary in most cross compilers, so native compilers are always preferable.

You keep making this statement, but how many cross compilers have you actually used? How many microcontroller targets have you written code for? Ever use an Arduino? How about the ARM equivalent SBC? No native compilers are available for any of those targets. I use a cross compiler for my day job, there is no way a native compiler, if one existed, could come close to the abilities of the hosted development environment on my laptop.
Anyway the two most widespread (cross) compilers, gcc and clang, are strictly the same whether they are built as native or cross compilers. So optimizations will be the same as long as the same flags are used Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)