inexpensive HP 39gs calculators from AliExpress working great for newRPL
04-03-2021, 02:50 AM
inexpensive HP 39gs calculators from AliExpress working great for newRPL
I decided to pick up a few HP 39gs calaculators from AliExpress to run newRPL. Of course, I needed a spare or two for myself, and another 3 will turn into christmas gifts later this year. I figured that I was rolling the dice on what was actually going to show up. There were a bunch of different vendors selling the things for around $17-$25 each, represented as "new". Some reviews seemed to dispute the "newness" of these products.

So, I figured that I'd give it a shot -- the one 39gs I have that came from eBay was "used" and in pretty good shape, other than the zero key being a little "soft."

Well, I was pleasantly surprised! The 5 that I ordered arrived today; each in a plastic bag with the sliding cover and a short USB cable. I've only opened one so far, but it looks to be in unused condition, with maybe a tiny scuff mark on the sliding case possible from these things rubbing against each other.

Comparing it to the HP 39gs that I have, it sure looks the same. The texture of the plastic and coloring looks the same. The big difference is that the ones that I received do not have a serial number sticker present.

I was able to load newRPL on it and cursory tests confirm that it seems to be working. The calculator was not shipped with any batteries; the CR2032 memory backup battery is also not present. This was expected.

They arrived wrapped up nicely in a bunch of bubble wrap in a shipping bag. I used the vendor called "SunshineDigital Store". Maybe this information might be useful to some who might be thinking about picking one of these up. Past results may not predict future performance. :-)

Behold, with one of them running newRPL:

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2021, 06:20 AM
RE: inexpensive HP 39gs calculators from AliExpress working great for newRPL
They are most likely rejected units because of small defects. Mine has issues with one column of the display and you can see the scratches from throwing them all into a box. Apart from that you get an excellent calculator for cheap and save some plastic from being burned somewhere in a power plant.

Currently I'm working with Claudio on some bugfixes in newRPL (like creating a new contrast table).
04-04-2021, 11:26 PM
I see 2 HP 39gs calcs listed,
a $2 extra will get you one with the USB cable and sliding cover.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2137248

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
Find all posts by this user
04-05-2021, 07:05 AM
Both should come with cover and cable as seen in the photos and description. Not sure what the difference is.
04-05-2021, 08:16 PM
I have a few 39gs laying around unused, and this might be fun to try. Is the process of putting newRPL on there documented somewhere? If so, could someone please post a link?

Thanks!
04-05-2021, 08:24 PM
(04-05-2021 08:16 PM)bbergman Wrote:  I have a few 39gs laying around unused, and this might be fun to try. Is the process of putting newRPL on there documented somewhere? If so, could someone please post a link?

I think it's in the main wiki:

https://newrpl.wiki.hpgcc3.org/doku.php?...stallation

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
04-05-2021, 08:30 PM
(04-05-2021 08:24 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  I think it's in the main wiki:

https://newrpl.wiki.hpgcc3.org/doku.php?...stallation

And so it is. Thanks!
04-06-2021, 12:16 AM
There are some japan blog which modifying 39gs's key to 50g layout and install newRPL.
https://calculator-cafe.com/readings/new...P39gs.html
[Image: XDSC08281.JPG]

S.Korean / HP-50G | fx-570EX | fx-570CW | HP-200LX

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)