Public Beta Availiable - Win/Firmware
04-14-2021, 06:32 AM
Public Beta Availiable - Win/Firmware
Hello,

While you can post in forums such as this at your discretion, we ask that the primary way of reporting be to send reports to calcbeta@hp.com. Basically, the goal is avoid disruption or annoyance to other forum participants. You can pop up a pre-populated email template by clicking the "Report Issue" menu item in the programs themselves.

Currently there are some issues around the Mac build being resolved and also android/ios.

This beta is different then others done in the past. There has been a disruption for many reasons in our prior development, and there is a slew of many changes and features that had been worked on and are in various stages of completeness. Some might be 100% done and good, but lacking some documentation. Some might be functional ans mostly done, just needing debugging. Some were experimental. Some might be utterly not yet done.

We ask you to play around with it and really help find out what you like, dislike, is good, is broken, etc so we can try to get things stabilized and ready for release as soon as possible. This is in essence a much earlier snapshot then things that have been released publicly in the past. Maybe if things go well we can continue doing things like this.

Special thank you to Eric Rechlin at hpcalc.org for hosting the files for us.

http://www.hpcalc.org/prime/beta/

More complete release notes and some documentation can be found at:
https://www.hpcalc.org/prime/beta/betanotes.zip

Cyrille's first thread:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-16643.html

Have fun!

**Note that the revisions and dates may not be 100% correct. Some information in the notes may not be correct and changed later as we tweaked stuff. There were lots of changes made, but many a long time back and may be not fully baked yet... just go with it Smile

Lots of changes in program editor (apps or programs). (open MORE menu in program editor, UI not great, but functional)
  • Line numbers in program editor
  • Bookmarks in program editor
  • Multiple files in program editor
  • No need for pre-declaration of functions
  • Able to have multiple functions of same name with different number of arguments (no default arguments though)
  • Embed resource files (binary, jpg/png, python source, cas source)
  • Go to line number
  • Mark a program as read only source (Avoid accidental editing)
  • Encrypted program source (hide source, still be usable on systems)

Quote:HP Prime Public Beta – Release Notes
-------------------------

Beta Use

Please note that this is a beta version which is still undergoing development and testing before official release. The software and all content found within are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. HP Inc. does not give any warranties, whether express or implied, as to the suitability or usability of the software or any of its content.

PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT HP SUPPORT FOR ASSISTANCE. You will simply be asked to install the supported public release, or communicate with calcbeta@hp.com

HP Prime – Release Notes
-------------------------

Date Released: 2021/04/13

Internal Versions
-----------------
Firmware Version: 2.1.14542 (2021 04 13) BETA
Virtual Calculator Version: 2.1.14542 (2021 04 13) BETA
Connectivity Kit: 2.1.14542 (2021 04 13) BETA

Description
-----------
This BETA release of the Prime Calculator firmware and associated PC and Mobile software delivers fixes to outstanding issues. This document is not a complete list of all changes but highlights specific items. Only users willing to experiment with pre-release software and report issues to calcbeta@hp.com are invited to experiment with this release.

Please back up your calculator before the update. Any existing data on the device may be wiped during the update process. This beta is much less polished then any you had before.... you have been warned. "Here be dragons"

New Functionality and Changes (Calculator Software)

Probability wizard
NEW FEATURE: Add Torque units
NEW FEATURE: Make inteligent math AND a+b/c Cas test mode dependent to avoid sin(60) returning sqrt(3)/2
NEW FEATURE: in solve app, you can now enter equations that use undefined variables. It will ask you if and where you want to create them...
FIXED BUG: (2_s)^-1 gave a wrong result!
FIXED BUG: could not integrate between F1 and F2=dF1(X)/X=X
FIXED BUG: editmat, in readonly mode, did not display correctly the user selected title.
CAS: fix embedded assumptions bug
CAS: fix in normal
c:=((sqrt(y))^-1/2+(sqrt(-x^2+y))^-1/2)/(2*(sqrt(y)+sqrt(-x^2+y)));
d:=-c;
normal(c) and normal(d) were identical
CAS: patch for limit(((sin(x))^(2))+((cos(x))^(2)),x=inf)
CAS: improve factor(x^5-1) if sqrt is checked
CAS; avoid infinite loop for desolve(y'=((-((y)^(3)))+((51)*((y)^(2))))-(((5/100))*(y)))
CAS: fix potential overflow in ichinrem
CAS: fix for derivative evaluation and for solve
CAS: fix for solve(22044=6000+264*((x+1)^(60)-1)/(x)*(1)/((x+1)^(60))+7000*(1)/((x+1)^(60)))
CAS: some list processing for polar/rectangular_coordinates
CAS: fix for solve([x*y^3=10^11,x^2/y=10^8],[x,y])
CAS: fix bisection solver
GA:=plotfunc((1/2)^x);GB:=plotfunc(-x^2+3);GC:=inter(GA,GB);coordinates(GC)
CAS: revert change for bisection_solver if the equation does not contain TAN
texpand improvement for texpand(tan(pi/2-x))
CAS: increase default number of steps for bisection solver
CAS: add a warning for some simplifications like f:=sqrt(x^2-6*x*sqrt(x-2)+9*x-18); simplify(f)
CAS: improved precision for normald_cdf with negative arguments
optionnal arguments left, right, center, tail for normald_icdf (also for Student, Fisher and Chi Square), not much tested...
CAS: gbasis memory alloc fixes
CAS: implicit declaration as global variables of variable names in optional assignation of arguments
CAS: fix for solve(exp(x)=x+1)
CAS: improvement for integration of normald(x)*normald_cdf(x)
CAS: fix for usimplify, e.g. usimplify(1_W*1_s)
NEW FEATURE: add a lot pf Python documentation
NEW FEATURE: add full modules listing and help structure in the PYTHON app..
NEW FEATURE: add GUI for flicker change (G2)
FIXED BUG: a b/c key was not working with inteligent math. Also changed the form of the ->qpi to be a/b*sqrt(c) and not a*sqrt(b/c)
FIXED BUG: Windows font not loading in connkit
FIXED BUG: Crash in microPython when printing a multi line string as done in help()
FIXED BUG: entering a bad RPN command (like 1+2) in 2 var stat column caused a crash...
CAS: complex fraction addition: make denominator real
CAS: fix matrix reduction/inverse for approx matrices with mixed real/complex entries
CAS: fix parsing of %%
CHANGE FEATURE: rename POlarConvert into CoordinateConvert
NEW FEATURE: allow shift enter to work in home when exact math is turned on...
NEW FEATURE: Exact math in home
FIXED BUG: crash if trying to user assign ON+ combination
FIXED BUG: couple of geometry regressions
FIXED BUG: unused forwarded functions did not generate a correct error...
FIXED BUG: programming editor goto dialog now has the current line number in it when starting..
FIXED BUG: errros in CoordinateConvert if input is spherical and only 2 numbers are provided
FIXED BUG: programming CONST template was messed up...
CAS: fix for desolve((y''+y=sin(x)) and (y(0)=1) and (y'(0)=2),y)
CAS: univariate modular gcd fix a:=2*(-104706154936168832*s^7+2147347792946582592*s^6-15748668985606843648*s^5+52524777586977226272*s^4-88551736860922410656*s^3+76065467612342166944*s^2-30401338674452654144*s+4281815801826585216)/4189;
b:=s^8-22*s^7+181*s^6-726*s^5+1594*s^4-1988*s^3+1374*s^2-474*s+61;
gcd(a,b);
CAS: fix for int(k*abs(cos(x)),x,-pi/2,3*pi/2)
CAS: fix for desolve(cos(t)*(y'-exp(t))-sin(t)*y=0);
CAS: fix for rref on approx symbolic matrices
CAS: fix normal for expressions with mixed rootof and i
CAS: fix for irem(12345,0)
CAS: fix resize() for modgcd((x+1)^4-y^4,(x+1-y)^2)
CAS: remove size() diagnostics
NEW FEATURE: variable number of parameters on function calls..
NEW FEATURE: ROUND and TRUNC now works on units
NEW FEATURE: Terminal function
NEW FEATURE: python hpprime module with lots of functions!
NEW FEATURE: ability to control python stack size form PPL
NEW FEATURE: TEXTSIZE and PRINT2D function
NEW FEATURE: lots of new python modules (see help('modules')Wink
FIXED BUG: "<var>" being put into some help examples unintentionally.
FIXED BUG: some crashes in EQW
FIXED BUG: program encryption should now work.
FIXED BUG: a^(b/c) (b and c being integers) was only handled for some b/c variations... Now, it should detect them all
FIXED BUG: speed up terminal out of large lists in Python
FIXED BUG: graphing of int(2*X,X,0,X) did not work...
FIXED BUG: Doing something like ∫(2*X,X,0,X) in the plotter will now work properly.
NEW FEATURE: Units are accepted in TRUNC/ROUND.
NEW FEATURE: Handling fractional powers in plotting. This is to stop the "MY PLOT IS WRONG!!!!" type issues. This currently is bound to the "complex output" flag on page 1 of settings. Fractional powers can be of the size [1-9]/[1-9] and if matches the NTHROOT will be used internally.
Connkit program editor has similar options for adding files, different types, etc.
TEXTSIZE function, PRINT2D function (READLINE also for terminal input). TEXTOUT can now print 2D also
Apps and DelApps function

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2021, 07:18 AM
RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Firmware
I'll probably asking for the obvious, but i can't find it anywhere: How do upgrade my Prime with this HPPrime_OS.img file?
- I've installed the new Connectivity kit
- I've installed the new Virtual calculator

But how do I get this new OS image on my calculator?
04-14-2021, 07:32 AM
Hi all,

GREAT !

Gérard.
04-14-2021, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2021 07:46 AM by StephanP.)
(04-14-2021 07:18 AM)StephanP Wrote:  But how do I get this new OS image on my calculator?

I found it:
- Open the Connectivity Kit's working folder, which on Windows would be C:/Users/username/Documents/HP Connectivity Kit
- Navigate down to ./Firmware/PrimeG2/
- Remove the files present and replace these with HPPrime_OS.img and the version file from the zip. (The other files in the zip are not up to date and add to confusion)
- Restart the Connectivity Kit and connect your Prime
- The upgrade will be offered promptly
04-14-2021, 08:55 AM
Hi,

Encoutering some issues to install beta conkit and beta virtual Prime.
I've download files but these don't execute ?
How to do

Gérard.
04-14-2021, 09:23 AM
The 64-bit versions installed quite alright on my W10 laptop.
- maybe download again?
- maybe Run as administrator?
04-14-2021, 09:44 AM
I LOVE the new Probability wizard in the tool chest.
Thanks very much.
04-14-2021, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2021 05:38 PM by ggauny@live.fr.)
Well all run good now. some problem to install but a friend succes the install !

Thanks to HP Team for the great work !

Gérard.
04-14-2021, 12:56 PM
It is undoubtedly the most important update in recent years, many limitations have been broken and it seems that its use will be even more practical. Wonderful renewing decision.

Viga C | TD | FB
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-14-2021, 02:19 PM
One of the biggest area for testing is the new programming part. Basically, you can make a "project" now with multiple sources, binary data, constants, images, etc and they are all kept nicely together and packaged. Should help quite a bit...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
04-14-2021, 03:09 PM
On my g1 prime when i press Symb in python app it resets the calculator. In the emulator it pulls up the editor for python. Also it will crash/reboot when syncing to the pc connectivity kit. Seems i had this problem when it was mistenly released before
04-14-2021, 03:10 PM
Hello,
my first words about it: THANKS!!!!

i don't know how it was possible to work on separate projects and on this BETA; however from the relaease notes i can see that you were able to work on different things and some of them were user requests.

Good for Python; i don't have other excuses now not to study Python...

I smiled when i saw the USB commands...i think this come from the last experiences of Cyrille as he explained in a speech not so long time ago...

Thanks for the update; this will for sure revive the interest of a lot of people on this platform.

Giancarlo
04-15-2021, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2021 07:35 AM by toml_12953.)
(04-14-2021 07:44 AM)StephanP Wrote:  - The upgrade will be offered promptly

Mine wasn't. I had to choose Update Calculator from the CK Help menu.

Tom L
Cui bono?
04-15-2021, 12:59 AM
(04-14-2021 06:32 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Date Released: 2021/04/13

Internal Versions
-----------------

Hi Tim,

This version number is incremented 1 from what is posted at HPCalc. Is there a newer version coming with other significant updates? Some of your notes seem to address a couple quirks I've found.
04-15-2021, 01:08 AM
I’ll post in the beta comment area that TW referred to, but I am wondering if this was the case before the update. In CAS, I can get an answer for ~170!, but for >170!, the approximation brings up +inf. In home, I can get a result for every choice up through 253! Curious as to if this is unique to the beta update, and why there is a difference in behavior with this between home and CAS.
04-15-2021, 03:38 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2021 03:41 AM by StephanP.)
(04-15-2021 12:49 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 07:44 AM)StephanP Wrote:  - The upgrade will be offered promptly

Mine wasn't. I had to choose Update Calculator form the CK Help menu.

Thanks for correcting this.
My memory must have been playing up.
04-15-2021, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2021 12:40 PM by Dirk.nl.)
(04-15-2021 12:59 AM)john gustaf stebbins Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 06:32 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Date Released: 2021/04/13

Internal Versions
-----------------

Hi Tim,

This version number is incremented 1 from what is posted at HPCalc. Is there a newer version coming with other significant updates? Some of your notes seem to address a couple quirks I've found.

Hallo John Gustaf,

The same for me (HP Prime G2) version = 2.1.14541.
Updated this morning, Dutch time.

Edit
I think version 2.1.14542 is an HP internal update (with bugs and additions) that has not yet been published.
We'll have to wait and see when it becomes available on the Beta site.
Is that correct Cyrille and Tim?

— Dirk Hartland
04-15-2021, 12:49 PM
(04-14-2021 03:09 PM)Dougggg Wrote:  On my g1 prime when i press Symb in python app it resets the calculator.
Same here.
04-15-2021, 12:56 PM
(04-15-2021 12:49 PM)critor Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 03:09 PM)Dougggg Wrote:  On my g1 prime when i press Symb in python app it resets the calculator.
Same here.

Same here, G2 works perfectly fine, G1 crashes.
04-15-2021, 01:03 PM
With KhiCAS on the TI Nspire CX II offering the complete XCAS of desktop flavours of XCAS, I'm hoping Bernard will be free to port KhiCAS to the Prime now that it features a MicroPython interpreter.

Whatever else you can say about the TI Nspire, KhiCAS is a powerhouse that can be programmed in native XCAS scripting, interpreted Python commands or full-on MicroPython. I have a personal preference for native XCAS scripting as it's very 'C' like and fast.

It seems a tad ironic that the Nspire currently features a more powerful implementation of XCAS than that on an HP calculator; given Bernard's history with HP. As long as any HP KhiCAS implementation is clearly documented as providing different IO & programming functionality to the default Prime XCAS UX, I'm sure they could coexist quite happily, and more importantly, provide end-users with far greater flexibility. If it were to integrate with the Primes graphical routines all the better!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)