Polynomial Wizard
04-28-2021, 08:25 PM
Polynomial Wizard
(04-26-2021 03:21 PM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Here is the change log.
Code:
polynomial wizard improvements

Say, that's much better. It's simple, clean, and efficient. The automatic solving in either direction is perfect. The graph visual is a nice touch.

There are a few easily fixed tweaks to look at, one mathematical and the rest are aesthetic.

For the displayed equation, any complex coefficients need to be surrounded by parentheses or else you get incorrect order of operations. For instance,
coefficients [2+3*i,4,5,6,0] displays:
2+3*i*X^4+...
but it needs to be
(2+3*i)*X^4+...

Also for polynomials with complex coefficients, the graph should probably just be left blank rather than trying to draw the axes without a graph to go with it.

When displaying the equation, using lower-case, superscripts, implied multiplication, and subtraction would make it much easier to read.
x⁶-2x⁵+3x⁴-4x³+5x²-6x+7
vs
X^6+-2*X^5+3*X^4+-4*X^3+5*X^2+-6*X+7

Finally, I don't know if it is possible, but is there a way that the 2d matrix editor could be limited to a single line? I can just picture a student expanding the entry into a matrix. When you do this and enter values, the Poly field produces an appropriate error message, but entering a matrix in the Roots field produces a meaningless polynomial.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2021, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021 10:57 AM by jonmoore.)
RE: Polynomial Wizard
I think this is an excellent new edition to the Prime. In many ways, it reminds me of the wizards on Casio calculators, and that's no bad thing.

I do have a couple of suggestions for improving the UX:

1.) It would be really useful if one of the softkeys enabled the user to copy the polynomial for use in the graphing apps (after apt transformation, if required).

2.) It would be better if the matrix brackets were implicit (self populated) that way the user would only need to enter the coefficient/root values separated by commas. The UX would be less prone to student error and cleaner.

BTW coefficient is currently spelt incorrectly.
04-29-2021, 04:22 PM
RE: Polynomial Wizard
(04-29-2021 10:56 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  1.) It would be really useful if one of the softkeys enabled the user to copy the polynomial for use in the graphing apps (after apt transformation, if required).

That's a great idea.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)