Hardware Voyager Emulator
08-14-2021, 04:28 PM
RE: Hardware Voyager Emulator
I've tried a couple of methods for 3D printing key legends with mixed results. This one looks promising, however I haven't tried it yet.

https://www.instructables.com/Embedded-T...D-Printer/

Try CC41!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2021, 01:42 PM
(08-14-2021 04:28 PM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  I've tried a couple of methods for 3D printing key legends with mixed results. This one looks promising, however I haven't tried it yet.

Just print your labels on a sticky film and stick it to the keys:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-17017.html
Works fine in my case.
08-16-2021, 03:02 PM
(08-14-2021 04:28 PM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  I've tried a couple of methods for 3D printing key legends with mixed results. This one looks promising, however I haven't tried it yet.

I have tried 3d printing the text, but since the buttons are so small (~7mm) and the nozzle too big (0.4mm) it would not work.

This is what seems to work:
[Image: img_overlay.jpg]
Printing an overhead projector sheet.
08-16-2021, 03:04 PM
(08-16-2021 01:42 PM)apoluekt Wrote:  

Just print your labels on a sticky film and stick it to the keys:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-17017.html
Works fine in my case.

I just received the vinyl labels. I will try your method. Thanks.
08-19-2021, 11:37 AM
Very nice calculator Agarza!
I like the permanent screen information display and the fact that all parameters can be entered through a keyboard/display interface.

Very nicely done! This isn't available on other commercial plaforms...

Now, if you can find a way to hack the display and show the programming steps in alpha numerics instructions rather than OPCODES... YOU WILL HAVE A WINNER believe me!
it is said to be "impossible"...

Cordialement, Sincerely, 73
Boubker.

HP41C,CV/HP48SX/HP42s/HP32Sii/DM15L/DM41L/DM41X/DM42
08-19-2021, 05:43 PM
(08-19-2021 11:37 AM)Boub65 Wrote:  Very nice calculator Agarza!
I like the permanent screen information display and the fact that all parameters can be entered through a keyboard/display interface.

Very nicely done! This isn't available on other commercial plaforms...

Now, if you can find a way to hack the display and show the programming steps in alpha numerics instructions rather than OPCODES... YOU WILL HAVE A WINNER believe me!
it is said to be "impossible"...

I had been thinking on showing the names of the keys, as you are suggesting.
Not replacing them, but showing them on top.
08-19-2021, 11:21 PM
I'd totally be up for buying one, if you decide to kit it or whatever. Looks awesome!

Plus, anyone who has a Rotring 600 in their video gets my vote! Smile
08-20-2021, 04:26 AM
(08-19-2021 11:21 PM)bbergman Wrote:  I'd totally be up for buying one, if you decide to kit it or whatever. Looks awesome!

Plus, anyone who has a Rotring 600 in their video gets my vote! Smile

It is actually my old rapidomatic 5640. It has been been with me for at least 30 years!
08-20-2021, 05:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2021 05:13 AM by bbergman.)
(08-20-2021 04:26 AM)agarza Wrote:  It is actually my old rapidomatic 5640. It has been been with me for at least 30 years!

That was probably replaced with the Rotring 600. They are virtually identical. Metal barrel (flat black), ring selector for lead type, push button top, silver tip, pocket clip, even the red writing on the barrel, etc., all almost identical.

I still have a Pentel like this one that's probably 35 years old as well (since high school!). It's amazing how long these have lasted!
08-20-2021, 02:48 PM
(08-20-2021 05:06 AM)bbergman Wrote:  
(08-20-2021 04:26 AM)agarza Wrote:  It is actually my old rapidomatic 5640. It has been been with me for at least 30 years!

That was probably replaced with the Rotring 600. They are virtually identical. Metal barrel (flat black), ring selector for lead type, push button top, silver tip, pocket clip, even the red writing on the barrel, etc., all almost identical.

I still have a Pentel like this one that's probably 35 years old as well (since high school!). It's amazing how long these have lasted!

The Rapidomatic 5640 and the Rotring 600 are identical.
08-21-2021, 02:26 AM
It looks like is is up on Tindie.

https://www.tindie.com/products/hobbysto...-emulator/
08-21-2021, 04:52 PM
I see the Tindie version is the 15c. I've got enough 15c's laying around that I really don't need another one, as cool as this. I definitely want to support this project, though! Are you thinking of offering either the 11c or 16c variant?

I think Eddie also asked if it could contain the software for all the Voyager models, switchable via key sequence. Obviously there would some issues there with keyboard overlays, but that might be an acceptable compromise requiring opening the case to change modes/overlays. Is that an option that you think could fly? Or is it maxed out?

Thanks!
Bruce
08-21-2021, 07:57 PM
(08-21-2021 04:52 PM)bbergman Wrote:  I see the Tindie version is the 15c. I've got enough 15c's laying around that I really don't need another one, as cool as this. I definitely want to support this project, though! Are you thinking of offering either the 11c or 16c variant?

I think Eddie also asked if it could contain the software for all the Voyager models, switchable via key sequence. Obviously there would some issues there with keyboard overlays, but that might be an acceptable compromise requiring opening the case to change modes/overlays. Is that an option that you think could fly? Or is it maxed out?

Thanks!
Bruce

The emulator can run any of the voyager models on the same pcb. As soon as I receive pcbs with the hp16 legends I will let you know.

I can probably fit the hp11 and the hp16 and switch between them. The problem is having to switch the overlay for the buttons.

The hp15 rom is too big, to have another.

Right now I’m working on the keypad ‘decoder’ so that when you’re in programming mode you can see the key names along with the key coordinates.
08-21-2021, 08:29 PM
(08-21-2021 07:57 PM)agarza Wrote:  [snip]
Right now I’m working on the keypad ‘decoder’ so that when you’re in programming mode you can see the key names along with the key coordinates.

If that, or other features, come along after one has purchased one of these, what is needed to updated the f/w to a newer version?

a. What h/w is needed? USB cable? Special cable? etc.

b. What special s/w is needed?

c. What skills are needed, or it is just downloading a new image file?

--Bob Prosperi
08-22-2021, 12:33 AM
(08-21-2021 08:29 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(08-21-2021 07:57 PM)agarza Wrote:  [snip]

If that, or other features, come along after one has purchased one of these, what is needed to updated the f/w to a newer version?

a. What h/w is needed? USB cable? Special cable? etc.

b. What special s/w is needed?

c. What skills are needed, or it is just downloading a new image file?

a) The board has a one row, 6 pin female header to program it. It is a SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface).

You can use basically any Arduino programer (I personally use the usbasp, it is really cheap, fast and readily available. Even Amazon has them.)

b) You need the avrdude software to load the firmware. It runs on Mac OS, Linux and Windows. It's the software Arduino uses to upload it's sketches (firmware).

c) It's not really difficult. The idea is to have fun assembling the calculator. But I have included an option on tindie to ship it assembled.
08-22-2021, 04:09 AM
(08-22-2021 12:33 AM)agarza Wrote:  a) The board has a one row, 6 pin female header to program it. It is a SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface).

You can use basically any Arduino programer (I personally use the usbasp, it is really cheap, fast and readily available. Even Amazon has them.)

b) You need the avrdude software to load the firmware. It runs on Mac OS, Linux and Windows. It's the software Arduino uses to upload it's sketches (firmware).

c) It's not really difficult. The idea is to have fun assembling the calculator. But I have included an option on tindie to ship it assembled.

Thanks for the clear answers. I'm interested in the assembled kit, but I'll likely wait until it matures a bit; I'm interested in dabbling with it, but I've no interest or time to learn new skills and tools solely for updating.

Thank you for sharing this with the community!

--Bob Prosperi
08-22-2021, 11:33 AM
(08-21-2021 07:57 PM)agarza Wrote:  Right now I’m working on the keypad ‘decoder’ so that when you’re in programming mode you can see the key names along with the key coordinates.

Great news agarza, I am sure that we are many (long time SwissMicros customers) waiting for any news on this topic.

Is a display like the one we find on emulators/decoders :
001 LBL A | 42,21,11
Or
001 42,21,11 | LBL A
Possible?

Cordialement, Sincerely, 73
Boubker.

HP41C,CV/HP48SX/HP42s/HP32Sii/DM15L/DM41L/DM41X/DM42
08-22-2021, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2021 07:04 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
(08-22-2021 11:33 AM)Boub65 Wrote:  
(08-21-2021 07:57 PM)agarza Wrote:  Right now I’m working on the keypad ‘decoder’ so that when you’re in programming mode you can see the key names along with the key coordinates.

Great news agarza, I am sure that we are many (long time SwissMicros customers) waiting for any news on this topic.

001 LBL A | 42,21,11
Or
001 42,21,11 | LBL A
Possible?
Another possibility would be to use the top screen for the instruction decoding when in program mode, leaving the main part untouched.

In run mode:
Code:
Date, Hour & Bat
Calculation
Modes

In program mode or while single stepping (SST & BST):
Code:
Decoded Instruction & Bat
Line Key Codes
Modes
08-23-2021, 02:44 AM
(08-22-2021 07:03 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(08-22-2021 11:33 AM)Boub65 Wrote:  Great news agarza, I am sure that we are many (long time SwissMicros customers) waiting for any news on this topic.

001 LBL A | 42,21,11
Or
001 42,21,11 | LBL A
Possible?
Another possibility would be to use the top screen for the instruction decoding when in program mode, leaving the main part untouched.

In run mode:
Code:
Date, Hour & Bat
Calculation
Modes

Code:
Line Key Codes
Modes

Thanks for all your ideas.

I decided not to modify the original display format and instead display the "decoded" key on the header. The time is shifted left so that the key names could be shown.
Also, the date is removed and the low battery indicator was changed to a Battery icon.

08-23-2021, 05:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2021 09:31 PM by Stevetuc.)
(08-23-2021 02:44 AM)agarza Wrote:  
(08-22-2021 07:03 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Another possibility would be to use the top screen for the instruction decoding when in program mode, leaving the main part untouched.

In run mode:
Code:
Date, Hour & Bat
Calculation
Modes

Code:
Line Key Codes
Modes

Thanks for all your ideas.

I decided not to modify the original display format and instead display the "decoded" key on the header. The time is shifted left so that the key names could be shown.
Also, the date is removed and the low battery indicator was changed to a Battery icon.

Very nice. Another possibility could be to have a user toggle to switch the format displayed main/header

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)