Royal Consumer Info Products
10-23-2021, 12:22 AM
RE: Royal Consumer Info Products
(10-22-2021 06:22 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  The technical lead is at Moravia and I'm told he owns every HP calculator made, so at the very least, we know he is a man of excellent taste!

Yes, but he needs to move off the 48GX as a web development environment :^)

Overall, your news does sound promising. Having a group actually interested in calculators working on the calculators could bring good things. (Hoping for an HP Prime Pro, true successor to the 50G.)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2021, 04:01 AM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021 04:03 AM by Dave Hicks.)
More info:

The Transition goes live sometime on November 1st. So hopefully many web things will be fixed by then.

Currently they are in the process of moving a very large number of pages from the HP website to the licensees. It is expected that there will still be some bugs and dead links. I've created a thread for posting bugs here. Since they didn't expect you folks to notice this stuff so soon, they'd love to get input from such observant people on their final web pages. Please use that thread starting Nov 2.

Based on input so far, a printing calculator that can suck the printout back in and shred it, is being discussed – Thank you Douggg. You can't say HP never listens to us! (But remember what I said about these things just being possibilities.)

Likewise, the price of the Prime and other items mentioned above should be fixed by then
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-23-2021, 01:17 PM
Ooh, maybe we can finally get a 27SII... Smile
10-23-2021, 08:34 PM
(10-23-2021 01:17 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Ooh, maybe we can finally get a 27SII... Smile

Or a HP-42SII Smile

— Ian Abbott
10-24-2021, 02:11 AM
(10-23-2021 04:01 AM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  More info:
[...]
Based on input so far, a printing calculator that can suck the printout back in and shred it, is being discussed – Thank you Douggg. You can't say HP never listens to us! (But remember what I said about these things just being possibilities.)

Banksy Edition?

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
10-24-2021, 08:02 AM
That version should prove popular in spy movies.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
10-24-2021, 04:07 PM
Moravia (or a subsidiary - the website is pretty vague) manufactures calculators sold under the Fiamo and Rebell brands, primarily in Europe, seemingly with dominant sales in Germany.

Is anyone familiar with any of these models and could comment on their quality, feel, etc. They appear to all be 4-bangers, low-end scientific machines, desktop printing machines, etc. but there are also some business machines that appear to be not so bad. Most appear to be (style, colors, etc.) common, Chinese made, low-end stuff. Hopefully that summary is not correct...

Here are the websites, though both are quite dated:

http://www.fiamo.com/en

http://www.rebell4you.com/

--Bob Prosperi
10-25-2021, 07:09 PM
R.I.P. HP calculator division (what was left of it!).

— Ian Abbott
10-26-2021, 01:42 AM
Woot! Woot! All aboard the hype train!

Honestly though, this is promising for the future of HP calculators. I personally would rather see a company at least trying to keep a product line alive than letting it fester and sit abandoned, years out of date. I would love to see Royal/Moravia dedicate resources into developing new machines and pushing them into either the educational or professional markets.

That said, what happens to Tim and Cyrille and the rest of the calculator team? If nothing else, I hope the team keeps developing for the Prime.
10-26-2021, 03:00 AM
(10-26-2021 01:42 AM)Liam Hays Wrote:  Woot! Woot! All aboard the hype train!

Honestly though, this is promising for the future of HP calculators. I personally would rather see a company at least trying to keep a product line alive than letting it fester and sit abandoned, years out of date. I would love to see Royal/Moravia dedicate resources into developing new machines and pushing them into either the educational or professional markets.

That said, what happens to Tim and Cyrille and the rest of the calculator team? If nothing else, I hope the team keeps developing for the Prime.

Agreed, this news is probably the best realistic outcome that us HP calculator fans could have hoped for. Cautiously optimistic for the future of HP (licensed) calculators.

Also hoping Tim and Cyrille stay involved.
10-26-2021, 06:28 AM
(10-24-2021 04:07 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Moravia (or a subsidiary - the website is pretty vague) manufactures calculators sold under the Fiamo and Rebell brands, primarily in Europe, seemingly with dominant sales in Germany.

Is anyone familiar with any of these models and could comment on their quality, feel, etc. They appear to all be 4-bangers, low-end scientific machines, desktop printing machines, etc. but there are also some business machines that appear to be not so bad. Most appear to be (style, colors, etc.) common, Chinese made, low-end stuff. Hopefully that summary is not correct...

Here are the websites, though both are quite dated:

http://www.fiamo.com/en

http://www.rebell4you.com/

I'm from Germany, I have never seen these brands you mentioned.

Moravia was visible (shortly) by setting up a local forum about the HP Prime and their local website about the prime (http://www.hp-prime.de/), in my perception with little success.
(The forum was partially moderated by "HP Calculator Project Manager, Klaas Kuperus op hp@moravia-europe.eu")

A typical example for the topicality of this site are the local manuals, they are from 2013, see http://www.hp-prime.de/de/category/6-downloads.
Firmware available is "HP_Prime_Calculator_Firmware_20180706.zip"
10-26-2021, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2021 06:38 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
(10-25-2021 07:09 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  R.I.P. HP calculator division (what was left of it!).
This is also my assessment, supported by Moravia's activities with respect to the HP Prime. I never saw any development activities regarding HP calculators.
But hope dies last :-)
10-26-2021, 06:42 AM
My €1E-2:
+ it seems there will be some (sort of) HP calcs for some years to come.
- now we may be entering 'outlet mode'.

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
10-26-2021, 11:42 AM
(10-22-2021 05:59 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  HP is partnering with Royal in the US and Moravia in Europe to develop, sell and support calculators. This is being done under HP management and the Calculators will still be "HP Calculators" (Though "Hewlett Packard" labeling will be phased out since HP Inc. and Hewlett Packard have been different companies for a while.)

This sounds like the Kinpo hardware outsourcing arrangement, not the sale of a division to another company. I might add, "Hewlett-Packard" is an anachronism, ever since Carly bought Compaq and renamed the company HP Inc (ticker symbol HPQ). And of course after Ned took the wheel and drove off with the original divisions as Agilent Technologies before that Smile

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
11-03-2021, 07:53 PM
Dear user-group,

I am the technical and educational lead for calculators at Moravia Consulting. I’d like to share some additional background on the recent changes. Starting November 1, 2021, Moravia Consulting (https://hpcalcs.com/), along with Royal Consumer Information Products (https://hpofficesupply.com/) are the official licensees for HP calculators. Royal will focus on markets in the Americas and Moravia will focus on all other markets. As Official Licensees, both companies are collaborating in the production, distribution, marketing, and support of HP branded calculators. We are collaborating closely with HP to assure that all HP branded products meet HP’s quality, reliability, safety, social and environmental requirements. Both Royal and Moravia have a long history in the calculator and office markets and have been HP partners for more than 30 years.

Our mutual goal is to bring HP calculators back to where they belong, at the top. We are currently in a transition period, where it can happen that websites will show outdated or incorrect information. We apologize for any inconvenience and if this is the case, we do appreciate your input very much. Feel free to respond to this post, send me a DM or use e-mail at info@hpcalcs.com (for Moravia) or info@hpofficesupply.com (for Royal). We are taking your input very seriously.

On the topic of (re-)launching new models: yes, we are looking into this. This could involve completely new lines or previous models. It will also be improvements of current models. This we will inform you about as soon as there is final information to share.

Looking forward, rest assured that there is a full team of dedicated experts and HP-enthusiasts such as myself available to make sure the transition and the introduction of new models will be a success.

Again, any questions, comments, concerns or compliments (these we like most) are more than welcome! We will be reading along on this forum, but suggestions like the ones in this topic are preferred to be sent by email.

Thank you for all your ongoing support,

Klaas Kuperus

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
11-04-2021, 04:22 AM
(11-03-2021 07:53 PM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  Dear user-group,

I am the technical and educational lead for calculators at Moravia Consulting. I’d like to share some additional background on the recent changes. Starting November 1, 2021, Moravia Consulting (https://hpcalcs.com/), along with Royal Consumer Information Products (https://hpofficesupply.com/) are the official licensees for HP calculators. Royal will focus on markets in the Americas and Moravia will focus on all other markets. As Official Licensees, both companies are collaborating in the production, distribution, marketing, and support of HP branded calculators. We are collaborating closely with HP to assure that all HP branded products meet HP’s quality, reliability, safety, social and environmental requirements. Both Royal and Moravia have a long history in the calculator and office markets and have been HP partners for more than 30 years.

Our mutual goal is to bring HP calculators back to where they belong, at the top. We are currently in a transition period, where it can happen that websites will show outdated or incorrect information. We apologize for any inconvenience and if this is the case, we do appreciate your input very much. Feel free to respond to this post, send me a DM or use e-mail at info@hpcalcs.com (for Moravia) or info@hpofficesupply.com (for Royal). We are taking your input very seriously.

On the topic of (re-)launching new models: yes, we are looking into this. This could involve completely new lines or previous models. It will also be improvements of current models. This we will inform you about as soon as there is final information to share.

Looking forward, rest assured that there is a full team of dedicated experts and HP-enthusiasts such as myself available to make sure the transition and the introduction of new models will be a success.

Again, any questions, comments, concerns or compliments (these we like most) are more than welcome! We will be reading along on this forum, but suggestions like the ones in this topic are preferred to be sent by email.

Thank you for all your ongoing support,

Klaas Kuperus

Thank you, Mr. Kuperus.
11-04-2021, 04:55 PM
Thanks, Mr. Kuperas.

Such good news. HP was originally the gold standard for college science students, and working scientists and engineers (I still have my dad’s pristine condition HP-35, still remember the coveted HP-35’s that some of the meteorology professors had at Florida State University in the early ‘70’s). While the education market at the pre college level has become the main focus in the decades since, I strongly believe that there is still a market for pocketable calculators that would be a welcome tool to the the scientific and engineering community. Remember, the professional community was more than willing to pay for a premium tool, even while the more modestly priced basic calculators took over the educational market. I believe the same would still be true today, and the price differential would not be as pronounced.
11-21-2021, 11:07 AM

I am the technical and educational lead for calculators at Moravia Consulting. I’d like to share some additional background on the recent changes. …

Klaas Kuperus

Sir,
I follow the news about this HP Prime with great attention ... I am a teacher, and for me, clearly no calculator on the market could compete with this HP Prime. Today, if I have to recommend a purchase to students, I am very bored…
I would like to believe in the future of this wonderful little machine developed by a superb team of people who are necessarily very passionate and determined, who have obviously not been supported by the HP group ...
You say you listen carefully to everything that is said here. Personally, I would like to read you more:
We had regular visits from members of the development team here and even though they were hampered by confidentiality clauses, it was pleasant and reassuring ...
What will your communication policy be in the future? Will we be entitled to a “road map”? Any idea how often to update?
We do not know anything about the competence or the size of the development teams put at the service of this project ... I am a little worried, and I admit that I would need to be reassured other than by speeches of good intentions ...
11-21-2021, 03:22 PM
You're not alone in being worried.
11-22-2021, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2021 08:28 PM by KlaasKuperus.)
(11-21-2021 11:07 AM)dg1969 Wrote:  

I am the technical and educational lead for calculators at Moravia Consulting. I’d like to share some additional background on the recent changes. …

Klaas Kuperus

Sir,
I follow the news about this HP Prime with great attention ... I am a teacher, and for me, clearly no calculator on the market could compete with this HP Prime. Today, if I have to recommend a purchase to students, I am very bored…
I would like to believe in the future of this wonderful little machine developed by a superb team of people who are necessarily very passionate and determined, who have obviously not been supported by the HP group ...
You say you listen carefully to everything that is said here. Personally, I would like to read you more:
We had regular visits from members of the development team here and even though they were hampered by confidentiality clauses, it was pleasant and reassuring ...
What will your communication policy be in the future? Will we be entitled to a “road map”? Any idea how often to update?
We do not know anything about the competence or the size of the development teams put at the service of this project ... I am a little worried, and I admit that I would need to be reassured other than by speeches of good intentions ...

Good question! I can assure you: we're reading along. Wink It's not just me, it's a team of over 30 people involved in the calculator business. We are still working with the known HP people and have hired very competent people to take a place in the development team for Prime, but also for other models that we're looking at currently. Plus, we are less 'hampered by confidentiality clauses' maybe.

On top, we've launched a bug-tracker tool for HP Prime, that we are currently expanding to inviting users outside our team, including some users from this forum. When you have bugs to report, or enhancements to make and feel you want a role here; feel free to let me know by PM!

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)