I'm a noob
12-02-2021, 09:20 AM
I'm a noob
Hello everyone!

So as the title says, I just got a HP Prime calculator and after getting beyond angry with the unsupportive HP Support (how ironic), I decided to sign up here and see if I could get some advice. My main problem is that I can not get my hands on an official link to the HP connectivity kit. So I downloaded the one posted on hpcalc.org but I can't get it to update, It's always giving errors. I have re installed it about 7-8 times now with no luck. I do not know whether or not this is normal.

Also I am having trouble with apps and programs that I try to install on my Prime. I downloaded the virtual calculator and made sure that both are running the same version, 2.1.14596. Using the virtual calculator as a test bench, I noticed that while all the apps and programs I tried on it work, when imported to my Prime, none work. Programs give back syntax errors and apps crash and take me to the home screen. I don't know if I'm installing them properly, dragging the folder and dropping it in applications in both cases, or if maybe I have something not set up properly on the Prime, but It's making me rather upset because this things cost a pretty penny and HP clearly does not care about customers who buy them (at least this is the case for me).

If anyone has any solutions or suggestions please help me out.

Thank you all beforehand!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2021, 05:02 PM
RE: I'm a noob
(12-02-2021 09:20 AM)JPV99 Wrote:  Also I am having trouble with apps and programs that I try to install on my Prime. I downloaded the virtual calculator and made sure that both are running the same version, 2.1.14596. Using the virtual calculator as a test bench, I noticed that while all the apps and programs I tried on it work, when imported to my Prime, none work. Programs give back syntax errors and apps crash and take me to the home screen. I don't know if I'm installing them properly, dragging the folder and dropping it in applications in both cases, or if maybe I have something not set up properly on the Prime, but It's making me rather upset because this things cost a pretty penny and HP clearly does not care about customers who buy them (at least this is the case for me).

Though in any case, HP Support clearly should be improved, most often, when one is having different results between the virtual and actual Primes when using the same programs, it is due to either running the program in Home in one case and CAS in the other, OR different settings between the two platforms. Go through ALL 4 pages of settings with the platforms side-by-side and ensure they are identical. Often, even unrelated sounding settings can be the cause.

Once settings are verified identical and both are being being run the same (both HOME or CAS) and all variables that are used have been cleared, if there is still a problem, it should be reported here with exact details, such as specific error messages, erroneous results, crashing, etc.

Good luck and please report back the new results.

--Bob Prosperi
12-02-2021, 06:40 PM
Thank you very much for your reply Bob!

I did as you suggested, and all the settings were exactly the same on both. As of today I haven't made any programs myself since I lack the knowledge to do so. As testing software I'm using EEC Solver app and the Air Hockey program, both can be found at hpcalc.org

EEC Solver app works absolutely fine on the pc calculator, on my prime however it crashes whenever you try to add a component. Air hockey program can be launched with no issues in CAS mode, hitting the toolbox button and then the program sofbutton on the virtual prime calculator. On my prime, following the same steps, the program softbutton won't appear and after I go looking for it, the program, in SHIFT Mem, I get a syntax error in line 11.

So I do not know what can I do to get this working...
12-03-2021, 01:19 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2021 01:20 AM by Jacob Wall.)
The last two versions of the CK posted on hpcalc.org are MSI files only, they are not the complete EXE installer packages, and this is problematic for a lot of people because some of the pre-requisites or dependencies may not exist on the end user's PC and thus can result in the program either not running at all or being buggy. I've seen some cases where the program will run but trying to update firmware simply stalls at ~20% or something like that. If you install the last available EXE, and then install the latest MSI then you will most likely be ok to run the latest version.

You can create an account on hpcalc.org to download previous versions of programs. I have also made the 2020-01-16 version available on my site at https://sgss.ca/files/prime/HP_Prime_Con...200116.exe as I was seeing a lot of frustrated and confused emails from my customers trying to install my app on their HP Prime.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2021, 08:51 AM
(12-03-2021 01:19 AM)Jacob Wall Wrote:  The last two versions of the CK posted on hpcalc.org are MSI files only, they are not the complete EXE installer packages, and this is problematic for a lot of people because some of the pre-requisites or dependencies may not exist on the end user's PC and thus can result in the program either not running at all or being buggy. I've seen some cases where the program will run but trying to update firmware simply stalls at ~20% or something like that. If you install the last available EXE, and then install the latest MSI then you will most likely be ok to run the latest version.

You can create an account on hpcalc.org to download previous versions of programs. I have also made the 2020-01-16 version available on my site at https://sgss.ca/files/prime/HP_Prime_Con...200116.exe as I was seeing a lot of frustrated and confused emails from my customers trying to install my app on their HP Prime.

Thanks Jacob!

I have now managed to not get any errors on CK, However It now won't update properly my calculator, let me explain. After Plugging it in, I got a firmware update notification so I went ahead and installed it. After the installation another notification popped up, so I updated it again and yet again after the installation it popped up again. I noticed that my calculator was in version 2.1.14596 (2021 11 25) and the update notification said It would update to 2.1.14596 (2021 11 26) but it never does, it always stays in ver (2021 11 25).
I decided to downgrade it to (2021 10 01) and tried again, this time taking screenshots.

And this is the second pop up

As you can see, although it clearly states it's going to update to ver (2021 11 26), It somehow stays on (2021 11 25) even though I do not have those version files on my PC, at least not in the Documents/HP Connectivity Kit/firmware/Prime G2 folder.

I'm completely lost and don't understand a thing
12-03-2021, 10:41 AM
(12-03-2021 08:51 AM)JPV99 Wrote:  Thanks Jacob!

I have now managed to not get any errors on CK, However It now won't update properly my calculator, let me explain. After Plugging it in, I got a firmware update notification so I went ahead and installed it. After the installation another notification popped up, so I updated it again and yet again after the installation it popped up again. I noticed that my calculator was in version 2.1.14596 (2021 11 25) and the update notification said It would update to 2.1.14596 (2021 11 26) but it never does, it always stays in ver (2021 11 25).
I decided to downgrade it to (2021 10 01) and tried again, this time taking screenshots.

And this is the second pop up

As you can see, although it clearly states it's going to update to ver (2021 11 26), It somehow stays on (2021 11 25) even though I do not have those version files on my PC, at least not in the Documents/HP Connectivity Kit/firmware/Prime G2 folder.

I'm completely lost and don't understand a thing

That's a bug that's happening to everyone who installed 2021 11 25. You're not doing anything wrong and your copy isn't corrupted. We'll have to wait for a more official release since 2021 11 25 wasn't supposed to make it to the public it seems.

Tom L
Cui bono?
12-03-2021, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2021 10:47 AM by JPV99.)
Thanks Tom!

That truly makes me feel less frustrated, let's hope they can find a fix as soon as possible!
I now still have to fix all the issues I have with my Prime not running apps and programs properly when everything is doing just fine on the emulator.
12-03-2021, 01:38 PM
(12-03-2021 10:46 AM)JPV99 Wrote:  I now still have to fix all the issues I have with my Prime not running apps and programs properly when everything is doing just fine on the emulator.

Sounds like this is probably due to the WAIT(-1) bug. The workaround is to install an older firmware version, see https://sgss.ca/files/prime/downgradefirmware.pdf
12-03-2021, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2021 03:29 PM by JPV99.)
(12-03-2021 01:38 PM)Jacob Wall Wrote:  Sounds like this is probably due to the WAIT(-1) bug. The workaround is to install an older firmware version, see https://sgss.ca/files/prime/downgradefirmware.pdf

I have tried downloading the 2018 firmware found on hpcalc.org and no luck... However It works just fine on 2.1.14596 (2020 10 01) with the virtual calculator
12-03-2021, 10:50 PM
(12-03-2021 03:28 PM)JPV99 Wrote:  I have tried downloading the 2018 firmware found on hpcalc.org and no luck... However It works just fine on 2.1.14596 (2020 10 01) with the virtual calculator

Ok, so you have a G1 with which firmware version installed? And which app are you not able to run? Just want to try and replicate it to make sure it is something specific to your situation.
12-06-2021, 10:54 AM
(12-03-2021 10:50 PM)Jacob Wall Wrote:  Ok, so you have a G1 with which firmware version installed? And which app are you not able to run? Just want to try and replicate it to make sure it is something specific to your situation.

Thank you very much for trying this hard to help out Jacob!

I have a G2 with version 2.1.14597 (2021 11 25). And the App I want to run would be EEC Solver I found a thread on this forum: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-11...EEC+Solver
It's not necessary for me to be able to run it but It just bugs me that I can run It on an emulator that's meant to work the same way the real one does, and I can not do it on the real thing.
12-07-2021, 02:51 AM
(12-06-2021 10:54 AM)JPV99 Wrote:  I have a G2 with version 2.1.14597 (2021 11 25). And the App I want to run would be EEC Solver I found a thread on this forum: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-11...EEC+Solver
It's not necessary for me to be able to run it but It just bugs me that I can run It on an emulator that's meant to work the same way the real one does, and I can not do it on the real thing.

I was able to install it on a G2 with the same firmware and it appeared to run as expected. I did not go beyond a few test operations to create a new circuit, as this subject is not something I am familiar with.

Maybe try a factory reset? I find it is a necessary thing to do sometimes as for whatever reason the calculator can start 'acting up'.
12-16-2021, 02:52 PM
(12-07-2021 02:51 AM)Jacob Wall Wrote:  I was able to install it on a G2 with the same firmware and it appeared to run as expected. I did not go beyond a few test operations to create a new circuit, as this subject is not something I am familiar with.

Maybe try a factory reset? I find it is a necessary thing to do sometimes as for whatever reason the calculator can start 'acting up'.

I'm back now, sorry for taking this long to reply but I have been very busy...

After attempting a factory reset and not changing any settings, the program worked just fine. I then found out that it was all related to how we use commas and dots here in Spain. Here we use the following structure: 123.456,123 whereas mostly everywhere else use the following: 123,456.123

So in the end that's the reason as to why it wouldn't work. I am proud to say that after changing that setting everything works as expected!

Thank you to everyone who tried to help out! And specially thank you Jacob for even trying to run the programs in order to find a solution!
12-16-2021, 04:27 PM
(12-16-2021 02:52 PM)JPV99 Wrote:  After attempting a factory reset and not changing any settings, the program worked just fine. I then found out that it was all related to how we use commas and dots here in Spain. Here we use the following structure: 123.456,123 whereas mostly everywhere else use the following: 123,456.123

So in the end that's the reason as to why it wouldn't work. I am proud to say that after changing that setting everything works as expected!

That's why people generally use the PRAGMA statement at the beginning of their program. It takes care of things like this. If you've never used it before, look it up in Help to see the exact parameters it takes.

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)