@ Moravia: urgent: Error with Prime G1 and Connectivity Kit - Please Repair
03-12-2022, 10:16 AM
Error:
Permanent restarts of Prime after unfolding the Calc. in left pane of Conn.Kit.
No possibilities to make a Backup, or exchange programs etc.
Prime Gen1 (HW C) unusable with Conn.Kit.
Urgency: high
See also this thread:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-18103.html
"The calculator restarts repeatedly after the connection kit is connected to the calcu"
Data:
- HP Connectivity Kit: Build: 2.1.14592 (2021 6 9)
No new updates available.
- HP Prime: (G1)
SW-Version: 2.1.14603 (2012 12 02)
Hardware Version: C
CAS Version: 1.5.0
Op.System: V0.050.640

HP-Prime, G2 (new hardware) works fine.

Thank you in advance for a quick answer and completion!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2022, 01:00 PM
RE: @ Moravia: urgent: Error with Prime G1 and Connectivity Kit - Please Repair
Hi Thomas, thanks for bringing this up. We will make sure to handle it!

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
03-17-2022, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2022 01:47 PM by Martin Hepperle.)
... see also my post #32 in this thread...

My "solution" was to downgrade to older versions of the firmware and Connectivity Kit,

While I understand that customers who still have G1's and do not yet want to throw them away are of no commercial interest, I don't think this is a a good attitude towards customers.
It is really a pity to have such a nice hardware platform with so such (seemingly) basic software troubles for many years now.

It is also interesting. that my critical post on the HP support site https://h30434.www3.hp.com/ obviously has been deleted...very encouraging.
03-17-2022, 02:38 PM
(03-17-2022 01:44 PM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  ... see also my post #32 in this thread...

My "solution" was to downgrade to older versions of the firmware and Connectivity Kit,

While I understand that customers who still have G1's and do not yet want to throw them away are of no commercial interest, I don't think this is a a good attitude towards customers.

You seem to be putting words into Moravia's mouth. Klaus said in the previous post to yours that "We will make sure to handle it". You might not like the speed at which fixes get issued but that's a long way away from telling customers to throw away their G1 Primes.

Quote:It is really a pity to have such a nice hardware platform with so such (seemingly) basic software troubles for many years now.

I was unaware that the connectivity kit suffered from "basic software troubles for many years". I use it to type in programs and send them over to the Prime to compile and run without any problems.

Quote:It is also interesting. that my critical post on the HP support site https://h30434.www3.hp.com/ obviously has been deleted...very encouraging.

HP != Moravia. HP no longer provide support so it is unsurprising that they will delete support requests for things they no longer support.
03-17-2022, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2022 04:25 PM by Thomas_Sch.)
Dear Bruce,

There is no reason to downplay the current state of affairs regarding HP Prime.
There is still no reason to deny the requirement to repair faulty software, whether in the calculator, or in the PC software.
Both parts worked well in the past.
Let us please let Moravia and the fantastic team around the Prime do their work.

Just my two cents.
03-18-2022, 04:56 PM
(03-12-2022 10:16 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  Data:

Hmh.
Hardware Versions A,C,D(G2) are working. Same CK-Versions, Releases, Builds. Update to Win 11.

HP 33C 34C 11C 41CX 12C 15C HP71B 35s 50g Prime Rev. A, C, D. DM 41X, 42. TI 58C, 59, 74, 92-II, Voyage 200, nspire CX II-T, Sanyo ICC 82D and more
03-18-2022, 07:16 PM
(03-18-2022 04:56 PM)Wolfgang Wrote:  
(03-12-2022 10:16 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  Data:

Hmh.
Hardware Versions A,C,D(G2) are working. Same CK-Versions, Releases, Builds. Update to Win 11.

I don't want to rule out that the problem is related to a specific program or app. But how can you check that if the Prime keeps restarting?

Last (previous) versions of Prime C and Connection kit didn't have this problem, as some users also stated in the other thread.
Hardware D(G2) is fine.
My PC is operating with Windows 10.
03-18-2022, 08:53 PM
(03-18-2022 07:16 PM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  I don't want to rule out that the problem is related to a specific program or app. But how can you check that if the Prime keeps restarting?

I am sure you tried this too:

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-18...#pid158076

This seems to have something to do with memory structures on the Prime HW. After clearing the memory using ON+APPS+Esc, the problem goes away. Restoring the Prime from an on-board backup and opening or refreshing the device in the connection kit will once again trigger a restart.

After creating a number of backup sets, I think I've narrowed it down to programs or customized Apps. I'll have to do some more testing to try to determine which.
03-18-2022, 09:24 PM
(03-18-2022 08:53 PM)Wolfgang Wrote:  
(03-18-2022 07:16 PM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  I don't want to rule out that the problem is related to a specific program or app. But how can you check that if the Prime keeps restarting?

I am sure you tried this too:

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-18...#pid158076

This seems to have something to do with memory structures on the Prime HW. After clearing the memory using ON+APPS+Esc, the problem goes away. Restoring the Prime from an on-board backup and opening or refreshing the device in the connection kit will once again trigger a restart.

After creating a number of backup sets, I think I've narrowed it down to programs or customized Apps. I'll have to do some more testing to try to determine which.
Thanks for the reminder!
Tried it again, and yes, with empty memory problem is gone. Last prime-based backup is a little outdated (2018..), but the problem is back again.
Deleting some apps did not help.

Presumably a longer search process will now follow.
If you find something, I would be grateful for a hint.
03-22-2022, 09:19 AM
(03-17-2022 02:38 PM)BruceH Wrote:  
(03-17-2022 01:44 PM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  ... see also my post #32 in this thread...

You seem to be putting words into Moravia's mouth. Klaus said in the previous post to yours that "We will make sure to handle it". You might not like the speed at which fixes get issued but that's a long way away from telling customers to throw away their G1 Primes.

Quote:It is really a pity to have such a nice hardware platform with so such (seemingly) basic software troubles for many years now.

I was unaware that the connectivity kit suffered from "basic software troubles for many years". I use it to type in programs and send them over to the Prime to compile and run without any problems.

Quote:It is also interesting. that my critical post on the HP support site https://h30434.www3.hp.com/ obviously has been deleted...very encouraging.

HP != Moravia. HP no longer provide support so it is unsurprising that they will delete support requests for things they no longer support.

hank you Bruce, you entered the answers I wanted to give. Smile

We have committed ourselves to continue supporting the G1 for the moment, even though its hardware has gone end of life for quite some time. FYI: it would have been no longer supported already in many other HW companies, so I hope you recognize the support we want to give the users.

That the support forum is no longer accessible is indeed due to the fact Moravia and Royal have taken over. The new support forum can be found at https://hpcalcs.com/support/forum/ But, as you know by now, we will find your reports here as well. Smile

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

03-22-2022, 02:08 PM
I don't think there will be many posts on the Moravia HPcalcs forum unless they actually let people login (no confirmation e-mail gets sent and the lost password page gives a 404 not found).

-Dream of Omnimaga
https://djomnimaga.music-2000.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-22-2022, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2022 02:15 PM by toml_12953.)
(03-22-2022 02:08 PM)Kevin Ouellet Wrote:  I don't think there will be many posts on the Moravia HPcalcs forum unless they actually let people login (no confirmation e-mail gets sent and the lost password page gives a 404 not found).

Try again. I just registered and was sent a working link to set my password in less than two minutes.

When I tried to download the manual for the Prime, however, I got the one for the AF2013 autofeed micro-cut paper shredder!

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-22-2022, 02:57 PM
I can't. It now says my username and e-mail are already in use and I cannot find any "resend validation e-mail" link anywhere.

-Dream of Omnimaga
https://djomnimaga.music-2000.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-22-2022, 06:12 PM
I had no trouble creating an account, but it's clearly quite new and they are probably getting the kinks worked out.

I sent in a request to include some kind inter-member communication, such as direct PM or email, hopefully that will come soon.

An odd thing I found (and reported) is when you try to edit your own profile, it redirects to the America's HP Licensee home page.

--Bob Prosperi
03-22-2022, 08:36 PM
(03-22-2022 09:19 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  
(03-17-2022 02:38 PM)BruceH Wrote:  ...

hank you Bruce, you entered the answers I wanted to give. Smile

We have committed ourselves to continue supporting the G1 for the moment, even though its hardware has gone end of life for quite some time. FYI: it would have been no longer supported already in many other HW companies, so I hope you recognize the support we want to give the users.

That the support forum is no longer accessible is indeed due to the fact Moravia and Royal have taken over. The new support forum can be found at https://hpcalcs.com/support/forum/ But, as you know by now, we will find your reports here as well. Smile

Hello Mr. Kuperus,
please help, I am irritated because of this answer.

first: As far as I can remember, I didn't ask for extended support, but only for the repair of a functionality (or clues to find out the specific reason why the function is no longer given) that was fine some time ago, and now, after the report of some users is just no longer given.

second, would it help to additionally report the above error message (and the one from the other thread) in the Moravia forum?

Many thanks in advance.
@all, please stay on topic, thanks.
03-23-2022, 06:34 AM
(03-18-2022 08:53 PM)Wolfgang Wrote:  
(03-18-2022 07:16 PM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  I don’t want to rule out that the problem is related to a specific program or app. But how can you check that if the Prime keeps restarting?

After creating a number of backup sets, I think I’ve narrowed it down to programs or customized Apps. I’ll have to do some more testing to try to determine which.

This is a very useful observation. Thank you for sharing it. A crash-on-boot bug was recently fixed (ticket #45 in the bug tracker). That bug only occurred if certain calls were in user programs.

I’ve been meaning to take a closer look at the calculator I mentioned in https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-18...#pid157832, but haven’t yet. I should soon.
03-23-2022, 10:00 AM
(03-22-2022 08:36 PM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  second, would it help to additionally report the above error message (and the one from the other thread) in the Moravia forum?

No, that is not needed. We read everything and take your remarks and suggestions seriously. Rest assured we are working on it.

03-24-2022, 08:45 AM
(03-23-2022 10:00 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  
(03-22-2022 08:36 PM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  second, would it help to additionally report the above error message (and the one from the other thread) in the Moravia forum?

No, that is not needed. We read everything and take your remarks and suggestions seriously. Rest assured we are working on it.
Many thanks, and good luck!

fyi: previous attempts to identify apps or programs as the cause were unfortunately not successful.
04-20-2022, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2022 05:14 PM by LarsF.)
Hi
I have the same problem with my G1 version and my Mac, is it possible to download and install and old version of HP connectivity kit?
/Lars

/edit
found an older version from 2018 at hp.de site but it crashed too, I also download firmware from 2018, and before I try, is it possible to downgrade?
04-20-2022, 08:59 PM
(04-20-2022 04:58 PM)LarsF Wrote:  .. I also download firmware from 2018, and before I try, is it possible to downgrade?

Yes, it's possible to downgrade.
Jaco Wall posted instructions in this posting:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-18...#pid157896

Firmware from beginning of 2020 will also work. (fw_2.1.14425)
Please have a look at https://www.sgss.ca/hpprime.html

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)