Virtual Prime does not connect to CK
03-18-2022, 09:57 PM
Virtual Prime does not connect to CK
Hi experts,
on a Win10(64) machine HP_Prime_Connectivity_Kit_x64_20211001 and HP_Prime_Virtual_Calculator_x64_2021_10_01 are installed. mDns is enabled and firewall acess is allowed.
BUT: The virtual calc does not appear in the CK. A real calc via USB shows up and transfers work ok.
Any suggestions or pointers ? (the CK manual is rather sparse and I didn't find anything in the forum)
Thanks
Andreas
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2022, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2022 07:00 AM by Tschumi81.)
RE: Virtual Prime does not connect to CK
Hi Andreas

Is the bonjour service on Windows 10 still runing?
If not, turn it on and try again.

Regards,
Tschumi
03-19-2022, 08:28 AM
Hi Tschumi,
I'm not familiar with Win10. Using Linux for every day work, only forced to Win10 because Tim W.'s work on a Virtual Prime under Linux is not continued.
Tried to locate anything like "bonjour" or "mDns services" in Win10 settings and task manager. No luck :-(
So please be a bit more explicit with "turn it on and try again" ;-)
Thanks
Andreas

P.S. I have already reinstalled both HP Prime related programs.
03-19-2022, 10:05 AM
I'm not sitting in front of a computer now but:

Open Windows Taskbar and type services.msc. Look for Bonjour Service (from Apple). If there, you can read if running or not. When not, right click and start.

Regards,
Tschumi
03-19-2022, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2022 01:07 PM by BruceH.)
@DG7RBN

You don't actually need the network for communicating between the CK and a virtual prime on the same computer.

In the virtual Prime's preferences set 'Enable Network' to unticked. In CK preferences un-tick all the boxes except 'Local Pipe'. (I left the network name unchanged at 'HP_Classroom')

Stop and restart both programs if you made a change in either.

This works for me on a VMware hosted Windows 10: start both programs and after a second or two the CK recognises the presence of the Prime emulator. But, annoyingly, the CK becomes unresponsive and pauses for many seconds at a time, occasionally complaining about the lack of mDNS (I don't have Bonjour installed). So it looks like a bug: even though you've chosen not to use the network, it still wants bits of the network stack to be present.
03-19-2022, 06:24 PM
(03-19-2022 01:05 PM)BruceH Wrote:  @DG7RBN

You don't actually need the network for communicating between the CK and a virtual prime on the same computer.

In the virtual Prime's preferences set 'Enable Network' to unticked. In CK preferences un-tick all the boxes except 'Local Pipe'. (I left the network name unchanged at 'HP_Classroom')

Stop and restart both programs if you made a change in either.

This works for me on a VMware hosted Windows 10: start both programs and after a second or two the CK recognises the presence of the Prime emulator. But, annoyingly, the CK becomes unresponsive and pauses for many seconds at a time, occasionally complaining about the lack of mDNS (I don't have Bonjour installed). So it looks like a bug: even though you've chosen not to use the network, it still wants bits of the network stack to be present.

In my case the Program hangs about 10 seconds when the service ist not started. In my memories the "Bonjour Service" is going installed with the HP Virtual Calculator. What is, if you install the 32 bit version of the Virtual Calculator?

In my Preferences from the HP Connectivity Kit, I checked now the minimum of options, which has to be checked to get the Calculator listed. Check "Enable Nework" and "MultiBroadcast", the rest ist deactivated. Then I first run "HP Prime Virual Calculator (2021 10 1) and then "HP Connectivity Kit (2021 10 1) and it works fine form me.
03-20-2022, 08:27 AM
@BruceH
Thanks a lot, your hints solved the problem. Virtual Prime pops up a few seconds after starting CK. Good to know that both programs work together without all the network/bonjour "humpty dumpty".
I also experience sudden freeze of CK for 5...10 seconds from time to time. Also installing both programs on a PC not connected to the internet is very slow. Maybe the installer and the software feel a need to "call home" once in a while, an annoying "feature" of many programs nowadays.

@Tschumi81
"services.msc" does not show more information than the task manager's "Services" tab, most likely under the hood the same program. "Bonjour" & "mDns...something" are not installed in Win10 and apparrently not necessary as BruceH pointed out.

Thanks a lot for your help, guys. Next step would be to try VP & CK running under "Wine".
Andreas

...a bit of <RANT ON>
The HP Prime is an amazing hardware platform with a sometimes rather bumpy software topping, lacking lots of essential documentation (... did I say "Python"). Sad to hear that HP stepped out completely.
Cyrille, Tim and the others developers are doing a great job trying to polish out all the rough edges. But will it be only a "hobby project" for them from now on ? With bug fixes, software and documentation updates slowly dying out ?
<RANT OFF>
03-22-2022, 09:22 AM
(03-20-2022 08:27 AM)DG7RBN Wrote:  ...a bit of <RANT ON>
The HP Prime is an amazing hardware platform with a sometimes rather bumpy software topping, lacking lots of essential documentation (... did I say "Python"). Sad to hear that HP stepped out completely.
Cyrille, Tim and the others developers are doing a great job trying to polish out all the rough edges. But will it be only a "hobby project" for them from now on ? With bug fixes, software and documentation updates slowly dying out ?
<RANT OFF>

No, it's absolutely not a 'hobby-project'. The HP Prime is supported by a team of professional developers and supported on a high level. Former members of the team are still involved in some way or the other, and you will see more bug fixes and documentations in the near future.

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
03-25-2022, 03:10 PM
Thank you, Klaas, for the clarification. Looking forward to bugfixes and updates.
Just bought a second HP Prime. It is really powerful hardware. Hope that the software and ESPECIALLY the documentation will continue to improve.

What is a good place to report bugs and/or suggestions for improvement ?
The "Let's vote for suggestions and bugs" thread seems rather outdated and a bit "esoteric" ;-)
03-26-2022, 09:40 AM
(03-25-2022 03:10 PM)DG7RBN Wrote:  What is a good place to report bugs and/or suggestions for improvement ?
The "Let's vote for suggestions and bugs" thread seems rather outdated and a bit "esoteric" ;-)

I've asked that same question before as well.
Maybe Morovia could consider setting up a public ticket reporting system where registered users can submit new issues, discuss issues submitted earlier, read the feedback from the development team, see that the issue is resolved and in queue for the next release...
03-27-2022, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2022 07:41 AM by jte.)
(03-25-2022 03:10 PM)DG7RBN Wrote:  Thank you, Klaas, for the clarification. Looking forward to bugfixes and updates.
Just bought a second HP Prime. It is really powerful hardware. Hope that the software and ESPECIALLY the documentation will continue to improve.

What is a good place to report bugs and/or suggestions for improvement ?
The “Let’s vote for suggestions and bugs” thread seems rather outdated and a bit “esoteric” ;-)

One good place to report bugs is the bug tracker I have set up for the Prime project. Klaas and developers involved with the project do have accounts, as do some members of the forums here (I’ve put in some bug reports, as have Klaas, Wes, Jan, and others). If anyone would like an account, just send me a PM.

Before starting a thread here for the tracker, the last thing I’ve been wanting to improve in the tracker is support for Python in bug tickets. There’s just a bit of fine-tuning with Python support I’ve been working on wrapping up.

(Enhancement requests can be filed on the bug tracker I’ve set up too, but my first concern, with the tracker, was bug reports.)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)