Let's vote for suggestions and bugs
01-17-2020, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2020 04:45 PM by CyberAngel.)
RE: Let's vote for suggestions and bugs
(01-17-2020 06:36 PM)CyberAngel Wrote:  [Image: HP-Prime-A-Software-Version-2-1-14341-BETA.png]

FP doesn't work in CAS using HP Prime ver A Software Version 2.1.14341 BETA

Looks easy to fix

MS Windows Emulator works

MS Store Production version does not work

Android Free 2.1.14346 CAS 1.5.0 does not work

2020 01 16 UPDATE

WINDOWS 10

[Image: MS-Windows-10-v2-1-14425-2020-01-16-CAS-1-5-0.png]

__________________+++

CALCULATOR HARDWARE A

[Image: HP-Prime-A-v2-1-14341-BETA-2020-01-16-CAS-1-5-0.png]
__________________+++
VPN
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2020, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 12:44 AM by pschlie.)
Please consider adding optionally enabled support for inexact saturated over/underflows on HP Prime, which adheres to the following algebra (with N = some positive non-saturated value; and 0, -0, and their reciprocals are considered to represent the smallest or largest saturated representable values respectively (presumably +/-1e-500 & +/-1e+500), such that for multiplicative operations for example log(Inf)/Inf = 500/Inf = 5E-498, not Inf/Inf), and satisfying 1/0=Inf :: 1=0*Inf by default convention; and thereby entering <0><shift><X^-1> enables the entry of Inf):

0 = 0+0 = -0+0 = -N+N = N*0 = N/Inf = -N/-Inf = (or by default convention = 1/Inf)
-0 = -0-0 = 0-0 = N-N = -N*0 = -N/Inf = N/-Inf (or by default convention = -1/Inf)
Inf = 0+Inf = Inf-N = Inf+Inf = Inf-Inf = N/0 = -N/-0 (or by default convention = 1/0)
-Inf = 0-Inf = N-Inf = -Inf-Inf = -Inf+Inf = -N/0 = N/-0 (or by default convention = -1/0)
and thereby:
1 = 0/0 = -0/-0 = Inf/Inf = -Inf/-Inf = 0*Inf = -0*-Inf
-1 = -0/0 = 0/-0 = -Inf/Inf = Inf/-Inf = -0*Inf = 0*-Inf
satisfying X/Y=Z :: Y*Z=X, and further:
ln(0) = log(0) = -Inf
ln(-0) = log(-0) = (-Inf+pi*i)
0^0 = 0^-0 = -0^0 = -0^-0 = 1

(Where the general rule regarding adding a series multiple Inf's or 0's, is that the sign of the first or last such argument respectfully determines the sign of the result, and thereby equations may be structured to yield the under/overflow behavior desired; i.e. for x = Inf; x^3 - x^2 = Inf = 1E500, not 0 = 1e-500; and for x = 0, -0 as the second term is more negative than the first is positive by analogous convention.)

As this would eliminate many common sources of otherwise generally useless error messages needlessly interrupting the use of the calculator in practice, and thereby enable it to become more generally useful and forgiving of otherwise undefined values if 0 was considered to be an absolute-zero, which most often it's not in generalized computations.

---

And as a separate issue, I’d like to see a hybrid numeric format mode supported, where one can define the maximum number of characters which may be displayed, and the number is formatted to display its most precise rounded representation of the value as either a fractional decimal, or in engineering notation, both with digits grouped in powers of 10^3, while the full precision of the value is maintained internally. For example (assuming a fixed width font is used for numeric display, and optionally displaying positive signs to provide format consistency between negative and positive values):

(when a 10 character max is specified, and 123.4567e-12 is entered, the following is displayed when successively multiplied by 10)

+123.5e-12
+1.2346e-6
+12.346e-6
+123.46e-6
+1.2346e-3
+12.346e-3
+0.123_457
+1.234_567
+12.345_67
+123.456_7
+1_234.567
+12_345.67
+123_456.7
+1_234_567
+12.346e+6
+123.46e+6
+1.2346e+9
+12.346e+9
+123.46e+9
+1.235e+12

(when a 10 character max is specified, and SQRT(2) is entered, and then successively squared)

+2 SQRT
+1.414_214
+2
+4
+16
+32
+8_388_608
+16.777e+6
+33.554e+6
+67.109e+6
+134.22e+6
+268.44e+6
+536.87e+6
+1.0737e+9

---

Thanks for your consideration.
01-21-2020, 07:21 PM
+1 vote for user soft keys! Such a useful feature...and it seems like it has already been half implemented, then abandoned.
02-18-2020, 12:05 AM
The next Prime should have pogo pins and rails to attach a module
(and akeyboard overlay holders à la HP-41,71).

A student can buy a phone module and
use the calculator as
A] A superior and wonderful feature phone using a cheap module. This module is extremely affordable.
Basically it holds double antennas, dual SIMs and a μSD card plus a chip to handle calls.
B] Buy the more expensive module and get a very poor Android phone, but also Google play. Ask your operator for more details.
C] Custom modules pop up everywhere since the HP expansion port interfacing data is free.
D] Deluxe phone module available in the US from AT&T only. You get it for free when you buy a phone plan.
E] ...
-----------
Plan [B] put the dual antennas in the calculator frame
and lead the signal to the 3x3 pogo grid
Note: Doogee already sells phones that can get extension modules. S90 Pro is extremely versatile. It even offers a walkie-talkie module!
03-28-2020, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2020 09:21 AM by ramon_ea1gth.)
Suggestion to implement:
[LastMENU] softkey
[LastCMD] softkey

When touched, [LastMENU] would open the last sequence of menu windows used in the last operation. Then, repeatable operations would be extremely fast (and this applies also to unit conversion).

[LastCMD] would write in the entry line the last executed command in textbook/algebraic mode. In RPN, it would execute immediately the last command (again, thinking in unit conversion, but applies to many other operations).

These [LastMENU] and [LastCMD] softkeys would be located in the entry mode softmenu, as it is now the [Sto>] softkey, both in the CAS menu as in the Home menu, whether in textbook/algebraic mode or RPN mode.

Advantages:
- [LastMENU]: once all the menu windows used last time are opened, it’s easy to go back in the hierarchy with the [Esc] key or the rocker wheel.
- Combined with [LastCMD], repetitive operations are fast.
- The usability of both softkeys would be really close to the traditional HP50g-style persistent soft menu combined with a shortcut (e.g., [LeftShift][unit] for unit conversion in those machines).

I believe this would make a difference in the HP-Prime choose-menu style: I like it, but the main drawback is that all the windows get closed once the operation is selected and it is a problem for repetitive operations.

PS. After coming from an HP 50g, though I was unsure, I am enjoying the RPN entry mode of the Prime. And about the algebraic CAS mode: well, in the HP 50g I was using it writing algebraic expressions!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-16-2020, 12:41 AM
I suggest that the plot of the graphics can be configured for 2, 3 and 4 pixels wide.

Also that HP Prime can be configured so that it can be read in sunlight.

Carlos - Brazil
Time Zone: GMT -3
http://area48.com
02-27-2021, 07:43 PM
(02-27-2021 02:00 PM)essen Wrote:  [snip]
Because of all these bugs in it, this calculator has been a toy for students. Looking at threads one mainly see students using it for showing plots and integration problems. Unfortunately no other calculator have an advanced programming option like HP Prime - presupposed its programming were error free.

The Prime was designed and marketed exclusively for students, though as a side-effect it also has some useful capabilities for other Math and Engineering uses.

HP's Market Positioning has always addressed education as it's sole aim, as an extension of the earlier 38G/39G/40G, etc. series of machines.

If you have mistakenly assumed the Prime was intended for you to use for other, non-educational purposes, that doesn't mean it's non-well suited for those, it only means you have assumed wrong and you seem to be angry at the Prime and HP for your bad choice.

Also, though I personally don't believe all the commands that you mention "do not function anymore - after the upgrade", if you believe it's true, why don't you just go back to the prior version of f/w that seemed to make you happier.

(02-27-2021 02:00 PM)essen Wrote:  I' am convinced that the only remedy to all these errors are, to build in to the Prime a full HP48 (or HP50) to the Prime. So arranged that we can choose it.
We need the speed of the Prime. And we need the genial RPL programming language developed by William Vickes. His work was brilliant and unsurpassed.

There will never be a full RPL available for the Prime; HP has said so clearly and publicly, so wishing for it won't help to make it so, even if you are convinced. But I'll also add that I fully agree this would be a wonderful thing, even if I am now 6-7 years past wishing so here in these same pages.

--Bob Prosperi
03-03-2021, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2021 06:48 AM by essen.)
(02-27-2021 04:06 PM)Gene222 Wrote:  
(02-27-2021 02:00 PM)essen Wrote:  After upgrading my version from just before G" came out,many command functions doesn't work. I found it suspicious coincidence after upgrading to software version 2.1.14425 (2020 01 16) the many defective command functions. IFERR , IFTE, EQ() and type() / TYPE() which do not function anymore - after the upgrade. These functions together been invalidated, does it impossible doing any advanced programming.

I have the hardware A calculator. I upgraded the software to (2020 01 16), and my programs ran fine. IFERR and TYPE commands work fine on my calculator. The only thing I noticed was the upgrade seemed to do a better job of checking that program variables are properly defined, which is a good thing. Can you provide a short program that demonstrates the command functions IFERR, ... TYPE do not work on the early versions of the Prime calculator? Something that I can run on my calculator. I don't have the Prime G2. If there are commands that won't work on the earlier versions of the Prime, I would like to know which commands don't work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
08-29-2021, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2021 08:59 PM by jhallen.)
You can hit up arrow to step through history. You can then hit Enter to copy the selected history item into the edit buffer.

But there is a problem: when the cursor is in the denominator of a fraction (or some place like that), then when you hit up arrow it moves the cursor to a different part of the editor buffer before it starts stepping through history. The result of this is that when you hit Enter, the item you copied does not end up where you want it to go in the edit buffer (last place cursor was before starting to hit up arrow). [Incidentally, TI calculators have this form of copy and paste and have this exact same problem.]

But there is almost a good work-around. If you hit Shift-Up Arrow, it jumps directly to the first item of history without disturbing the cursor position within the edit buffer. If you then step forward to the item you want and hit enter, it is copied to the right place.

Anyway, I'm looking for a better work-around to this issue. Maybe Shift-Down Arrow should move to the last item of the history while leaving the cursor alone on the edit buffer. Normally Shift-Down jumps directly to the edit buffer, but if you are already there, then this alternative behavior would be a better convenient work-around to the above issue. Or maybe Shift-Up Arrow should escape the edit buffer (selecting last history line), and only a second Shift-Up Arrow jumps to the top. I think this is even more intuitive.
08-29-2021, 10:07 PM
(08-29-2021 08:57 PM)jhallen Wrote:  Anyway, I'm looking for a better work-around to this issue.

You can simply use the touch screen to pick the desired item from history without disturbing the cursor in the edit buffer: scroll the history as needed and double tap to copy the item.
08-29-2021, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2021 12:04 AM by jhallen.)
(08-29-2021 10:07 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(08-29-2021 08:57 PM)jhallen Wrote:  Anyway, I'm looking for a better work-around to this issue.

You can simply use the touch screen to pick the desired item from history without disturbing the cursor in the edit buffer: scroll the history as needed and double tap to copy the item.
e

True, but why not also improve keyboard operation?

Along the same lines: the Numworks calculator also lets you step back through history, but it works slightly differently.. maybe better? The history is divided into two columns, so up arrow steps through either results (right side) or your input (left side). You use left/right keys to switch between the two columns. Anyway, number of keystrokes is up to halved to get to a particular history item.
08-30-2021, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2021 02:25 PM by jhallen.)
Copy and paste needs work. Suppose I have an equation with many terms added together (result of partial fraction expansion for example). Now I want to select just one of these terms. You can do it with the copy and paste feature but it shows the problem:

When a part of the equation is selected, it is highlighted with inverse video, this is fine. But if the cursor is within the highlighted part, it's invisible, so there is no easy way to trim the selection. The cursor should blink inverse, not just blink the black bar. I think this is straight bug, should be easy to fix.

Touching somewhere in the current equation jumps the cursor to where you touched. But it would be nice if there was a more direct way to select a single term: if I touch an infix operator (such as division bar), it could select the operator and both sides, for example. But I want both of these touch features: maybe there should be a term selector option available in copy mode (after you hit Shift-Copy) which has this second feature. EDIT: actually when you hit begin in copy, it does automatically select a single term, whichever one the cursor is in (and this covers 90% of cases for sure). But this is maybe automatically selecting too much... if cursor is in the numerator of a term, it should select just the numerator, not the entire term. So now my request is that this automatic selection should be more granular.

One more: when you select an equation from history, it would be nice if Shift-Copy entered copy mode on the selected equation (and not just copy the entire thing). This way I could extract a part of an equation from history without disturbing the edit buffer.
10-22-2021, 05:20 PM
There is a bug that really needs to be fixed where the Python command graphic.draw_filled_polygon crashes the G2. Also, using hpprime.eval with the USB commands from PPL cause an unexpected crash. Another thing that crashes the calc is using the PYTHON command from an app program to run a script from a file, and then opening any app after the execution terminates. These bugs are the ones that really annoy me.
01-15-2023, 11:38 PM
(09-18-2018 10:15 PM)ammonteir Wrote:  I usually use the HOME view instead of CAS view because of the RPN. But I found a wrong answer in the HOME view for a 2x2 inverse matrix and couldn’t figure out why, maybe it’s a bug. The matrix is:

|-270510 510|
|510 -2710|

inverse matrix at HOME: (That’s a wrong answer)

|-3.69803308307E-6 0|
|0 -3.69134660258E-4|

inverse matrix at CAS: (That’s a correct answer)

|-3,69803308307E-6 -6.95939805301E-7|
|-6.95939805301E-7 -3.69134660258E-4|

This difference lead me to a wrong answer in a Electric Circuit analysis.

Thanks for posting. I’ve created a ticket for this in the bug tracker I’ve set up.
01-31-2023, 02:06 PM
Add keymap: ALPHA+ENTER should generate ":="
That could greatly simplify assignments.
05-08-2023, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2023 09:42 PM by RobbiOne.)
a small Prime bug (FW dated April 13, 2023):
in the character list "Chars" [Shift]+[Vars] for all ASCII characters from 'z' to '~' (7Ah to 7Eh) the hex value (in the bottom corner of the screen) appears as '7', without the second hexadecimal digit.

This bug there is not in the last version of the app for iPadOS and macOS (January 16, 2020), instead it is present in the recent Windows app dated April 13, 2023.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  prime.pdf (Size: 436.35 KB / Downloads: 3)
06-10-2023, 04:20 AM
When you open Python and press Symb followed by ESC, Gen 1(Rev A and C) resets itself; Gen 2 seems fine.

When using the micro usb to micro usb cable to connect 2 calculators, it plays funny games on your battery level, goes away after a soft reset.
06-10-2023, 07:30 AM
Fix this
in Home, or CAS i can input d1*cos(alpha) and do it differential by d1 etc. and get a correct answer.

But when I write a program using INPUT command, and setting the var type to (-1). It will accept the d1*cos(alpha)
a:=d1*cos(alpha);

And if i set my second input to be d1
b:=d1;

and write a command like c:=diff(a/b);
You get bad argument value
Keep i didnt manage to make it work with all variable types.

And you have some bug issues in latest updates, some chinese characters can appear from time to time.
08-29-2023, 05:02 PM
Please implement set angle degrees, radian, grad
Grad is missing, it's really important to us surveyors
08-30-2023, 01:32 AM
(08-29-2023 05:02 PM)Amer7 Wrote:  Please implement set angle degrees, radian, grad
Grad is missing, it's really important to us surveyors

It's already there. Click either Home Settings or CAS Settings, and tap CHOOSE (or press the + key to rotate through the three options).

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)