CSAIO fx-9860GII
07-20-2014, 07:43 PM
CSAIO fx-9860GII
The CASIOGII is quite a nice calculator. Better fit for shirt pocket than HP 39gii, TI 84SE. Graphing also easiest of the three as the analysis of the graph can be accomplished easily on screen with soft key selections. In addition to roots, local max/mins, and area under the curve, an "x" value can be entered to obtain f(x), and a "y" value can be entered to obtain the x value that corresponds to it. The up/dow/left/right control pad can be used to immediately jump to next root, or next local min, or next local max of the graph. Not documented as far as I could see, but excellent is that full accuracy area under the curve from say, one root to the next, or from one local min to the next can be accomplished. The "x" coordinate of say, a root, cannot be saved in the graphing environment, but if you obtain a root of interest in the graphing environment, then go to home screen (F1 on menu), press "x". this will have the "x" coordinate of your point of interest. Store it to a variable of choice such as "A". Go back to graph and find your next point of interest. Go back to home and press "x" and store it to , say, "B". Go back to graph. Now choose area under curve selection, enter "A" as your lower limit, "B" as your upper limit, and execute.

Integrals can be entered into graphing as well, and analysis can be done.

Nice selection of distributions including geometric and hypergeometric, and inveres for all of the distributions.

Regression choices include a sin regression.

Much more to explore.

$80 vs $125 for the TI 84SE, similar for HP 39gii
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2014, 08:17 PM
RE: CASIO fx-9860GII
What he's talking about:

[Image: 640px-Casio_9860GII.jpg]

Free forumer's picture service.

d:-/
07-21-2014, 05:38 AM
RE: CSAIO fx-9860GII
A very reliable calculator with an excellent statistics package - even better is the Casio fx-9860GII SD, which is the same model plus an SD slot.
07-22-2014, 10:23 AM
The display is also worth a comment - not high resolution but very high contrast, even without the backlight on. The Casio Prizm is in essence a colour version of this machine - nice as well, but significantly more expensive. These machines have been out for quite a few years now but Casio are still releasing occasional firmware updates. At my school here in the UK the Casio graphing machines provide a natural progression from the Casio scientifics that everyone uses.

Casio basic is a little frustrating, but C programming is possible!

Nigel (UK)
07-22-2014, 12:11 PM
(07-22-2014 10:23 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Casio basic is a little frustrating, but C programming is possible!

Do you mean C programming on a PC using their SDK by writing your own "app", or something else?

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-22-2014, 02:16 PM
(07-22-2014 12:11 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  
(07-22-2014 10:23 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Casio basic is a little frustrating, but C programming is possible!

Do you mean C programming on a PC using their SDK by writing your own "app", or something else?

C programming on a PC; I don't know of any add-on language "apps" for the machine.

Nigel (UK)
07-24-2014, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2014 08:04 PM by cutterjohn.)
(07-22-2014 02:16 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  
(07-22-2014 12:11 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  Do you mean C programming on a PC using their SDK by writing your own "app", or something else?

C programming on a PC; I don't know of any add-on language "apps" for the machine.

Nigel (UK)
I'm pretty sure that there's at least a lua interpreter as there is one for the Prizm. Cemetech has a fair amount of casio(and some prime) stuff in it's forums although it is mostly about the old z80 TIs. (I own an US version of the Prizm.)

IIRC the 9860 SDK was an actual release by Casio while the Prizm SDK was kind of hacked together as Casio never(or hasn't yet) released an official SDK for it. (Seem to be a fair amount of user applications created for the 9860, but nothing like the TIs or RPL HPs(48/49/50 which is even less than the TIs)...)

9860GII SD: that's odd. While theoretically being the same model w/an SD slot they removed basic functionality? (Maybe to have room to add SD support? Although Casio seem to provide a fair amount of flash on these lesser models even though they're stingy with the RAM(same on the classpads as well unfortunately).)
07-25-2014, 06:24 AM
(07-24-2014 08:03 PM)cutterjohn Wrote:  9860GII SD: that's odd. While theoretically being the same model w/an SD slot they removed basic functionality? (Maybe to have room to add SD support? Although Casio seem to provide a fair amount of flash on these lesser models even though they're stingy with the RAM(same on the classpads as well unfortunately).)

IIRC, the operating system is the same for the models with or without SD card slot.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
07-26-2014, 01:58 AM
(07-25-2014 06:24 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 08:03 PM)cutterjohn Wrote:  9860GII SD: that's odd. While theoretically being the same model w/an SD slot they removed basic functionality? (Maybe to have room to add SD support? Although Casio seem to provide a fair amount of flash on these lesser models even though they're stingy with the RAM(same on the classpads as well unfortunately).)

IIRC, the operating system is the same for the models with or without SD card slot.
Ah, but I think that I JUST remembered another item, Casio changed processors at some point in this time from SH3s to SH4s IIRC, so IIRC some 9860s have the old SH3 and are compatible with all the user software while it's a tossup for the the ones with the SH4. It was also part of the reason that the Prizm was problematic more so beyond it's color display and "OS" changes to support that... same goes for the newer classpad IIs.

It's been a while since I dug into that so that may not be entirely correct but I'm vaguely remembering this...

I'm surprised that anything still uses those SH procs as they're even less common than MIPS now, but I remember back in the day when they were all in contention in consumer electronics and embedded systems: MIPS, ARM, SHx, and powerpc but SHx always seemed to be the loser OTOH MIPS looked tops for several years outbattling ARM at every turn while powerpc was quietly dominating the embedded systems market.
07-26-2014, 03:59 AM
(07-26-2014 01:58 AM)cutterjohn Wrote:  I'm surprised that anything still uses those SH procs as they're even less common than MIPS now, but I remember back in the day when they were all in contention in consumer electronics and embedded systems: MIPS, ARM, SHx, and powerpc but SHx always seemed to be the loser OTOH MIPS looked tops for several years outbattling ARM at every turn while powerpc was quietly dominating the embedded systems market.

An SH3 is what's inside my HP Jornada 620LX and 680...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
07-30-2014, 07:20 AM
BASIC on the 9860GII is slow compared to a 84+ overclocked at the 9860GII speed, but it's still fast enough to give you enough freedom and make your programs not annoying on the user end. Of course C can be handy for more advanced softwares, though.

As for the PRIZM, I wouldn't recommend it if you plan to only use BASIC, though. It takes 0.3 seconds to draw one pixel (I'm serious. This must be a glitch) >.<

-Dream of Omnimaga
https://djomnimaga.music-2000.com
09-19-2016, 09:33 AM
(07-22-2014 02:16 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  
(07-22-2014 12:11 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  Do you mean C programming on a PC using their SDK by writing your own "app", or something else?

Nigel (UK)

For anyone interested in this old thread, there is an on-calc C compiler for the Casio 9860 series. It's at:

http://www.casiopeia.net/forum/downloads...l&df_id=24

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-20-2016, 12:24 PM
(09-19-2016 09:33 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  For anyone interested in this old thread, there is an on-calc C compiler for the Casio 9860 series. It's at:

http://www.casiopeia.net/forum/downloads...l&df_id=24

Thanks for the link, this looks pretty interesting. It's been a long time since I tried anything new on my 9860, now I've got a reason to......

-katie

09-20-2016, 03:34 PM
(07-30-2014 07:20 AM)Kevin Ouellet Wrote:  BASIC on the 9860GII is slow compared to a 84+ overclocked at the 9860GII speed, but it's still fast enough to give you enough freedom and make your programs not annoying on the user end. Of course C can be handy for more advanced softwares, though.

As for the PRIZM, I wouldn't recommend it if you plan to only use BASIC, though. It takes 0.3 seconds to draw one pixel (I'm serious. This must be a glitch) >.<

The PRIZM is a fantastic calculator...you can program in C and LUA....I even have installed a CAS, so it's a very capable calculator and extremely easy to use. The only drawback are the keys, very soft, like all Casio, although I have never miss a stroke with it. The color display is very good, crisp.
09-20-2016, 07:04 PM
I never imagined an on-calculator C compiler would be possible on a Casio.

Whenever I checked out Casio calculators, their Basic language always seemed very limiting - one character variable names, no recursive calls and suchlike.

If a C compiler is possible on a Casio, perhaps one day we might see one on the Prime.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
09-21-2016, 01:42 AM
I bought this calculator about two years ago. Was very happy with it. Unfortunately, after a few months, the display died. Too bad.

Francois

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)