HP 41 PPC ROM Production Run Total
10-05-2022, 09:41 PM
HP 41 PPC ROM Production Run Total
Does anyone know, after the initial run of 5000 PPC ROM units produced by HP, how many TOTAL units were produced? I can't find this information anywhere.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows :-)
Paul
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2022, 11:39 PM
RE: HP 41 PPC ROM Production Run Total
Did this module have sequential serial numbers so you could estimate from what people have?

(10-05-2022 09:41 PM)vervalin Wrote:  Does anyone know, after the initial run of 5000 PPC ROM units produced by HP, how many TOTAL units were produced? I can't find this information anywhere.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows :-)
Paul

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2022, 11:53 PM
No, just the part number. No serial numbers of any kind :-(
10-06-2022, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2022 09:22 PM by Joe Horn.)
(10-05-2022 11:53 PM)vervalin Wrote:  No, just the part number. No serial numbers of any kind :-(

I don't think that's correct. Immediately below the label on the back is a stamped number, which if I remember correctly is the serial number of the ROM. Also, if I remember correctly, there was only the original order of 5000 and that's all that were made. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

[ EDIT: As you can see in the replies below, I was wrong in two ways. (1) Yes, there was one subsequent order, and (2) the original 5000 had their serial numbers engraved in a very visible, large font on the TOP of the ROMS. The subsequent order only had the tiny standard date code on the back, like mine depicted below. ]

[Image: PPC-ROM2.jpg]

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
10-06-2022, 12:50 AM
There was definitely a second, and possibly even a third, order placed, but I don't recall the order sizes. Interestingly, this was just being discussed less than a month ago at HHC, spurred on by one of the Premium Prize table gifts I brought to HHC, donated by Jeremy Smith, and won by David Ramsey, who had a banner Prize Table year.

But I know how to find out, and will do so. Stay tuned...

--Bob Prosperi
10-06-2022, 12:59 AM
Wow!!! That number is almost totally invisible on mine but it is indeed there. Mine is 2220. So does that mean LESS than 10000? Or do we know if there are some that are 5 digits? And did the numbers begin at 0000? So many questions - lol
10-06-2022, 01:51 AM
Only the first 5000 units in the initial 1981 order had serial numbers.

They were labeled / engraved on the top, not underneath.

The engraving was from 1 - 2500 and since each member's original order received 2 for the price of 1, they were 1000A and 1000B for example.

The dates underneath are not from the original run. 99+% sure of that.

Here's the prior thread:

PPC ROM previously discussed
10-06-2022, 02:00 AM
I remember this presentation that Richard Nelson gave at HHC 2011. It was great to hear the story of how the PPC ROM came to be.

https://youtu.be/L-3SI5jRHv8
10-06-2022, 03:25 AM
Mine does not have the A or B but only 2220 so maybe it is from the second or possible third production run. This is great information. Thanks so much!!!
10-06-2022, 03:30 AM
What is this engraving on the top of this module P18 (see picture) ??

Any ideas?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-06-2022, 03:49 AM
Here's the answers, straight from Richard:

The initial order was placed (early 82?), planned for 2500 pieces. After the order was placed, the actual costs were finalized and based on the estimated price paid by PPC members, it became clear that PPC could actually provide 2 ROMs to each of the initial buyers, which is why the first 5000 pieces are marked 1-2500A and 1-2500B, each member received a matched pair of A & B ROMs.

In 1983 a subsequent order was placed for 250 more ROMs, as stock was low and this was the minimum order qty from HP at that time.

In late 1984, PPC considered placing a 3rd order, but this was never realized as the membership economics were changing.

Other PPC ROM notes:

The initial order units have the large ROM number followed with A or B, engraved on the top of the module case.

The small numbers engraved on the bottom of the module (as seen in Joe's photo above) are not serial numbers, these are the normal mfg. date codes; e.g. Joe's ROM was made in the 32nd week of 1983 (and so, is from the 2nd order). ROMs from order 1 were made roughly 2144-2148, while second run ROMs seem to be from the 2330's. I have no idea how there is one from 2220, that seems to be from the year in-between orders (can you double check that number, you said it was hard to make out?)

The labels are also different - most (maybe all?) of the "PPC ROM" labels of the first order units were in a bolder font, not the same as that used for HP's modules. ROMs from the 2nd order used labels that were either the same or at least much closer the lighter font used for HP ROM labels. The reason I say perhaps not all order 1 ROMs used the bold fonts is I have a set of the bold font labels, provided in a small labeled envelope to stick on, on top of either the other labels or perhaps onto just the ROM itself, I don't know and don't recall when/where I got these, but probably at PPC in 83-84.

@vervalin - why are you looking for this information? - merely curious

--Bob Prosperi
10-06-2022, 04:35 AM
I checked very closely and it is definitely 2220 - see attached photo.

10-06-2022, 04:39 AM
Here's my label for the 2220 PPC ROM

10-06-2022, 05:44 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2022 05:50 AM by dmh.)
Here are my 2 PPC ROM modules.

Manufactured: 2146 PPC Number: 1889A
Manufactured: 2332 PPC Number: n/a

So I have one from each batch :-)

See the following photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4m475mpkw1zo4...e.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/syx1yrt8x6vk4x...r.jpg?dl=0

Calculator Clique on YouTube
10-06-2022, 09:22 AM
I checked my PPC ROM that I bought 1990 directly from EduCALC. Can it be, that it is a very special one? According to the Number on top it seems to be the second one. I hope Richard Nelson can help. Thanks a lot.

10-06-2022, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2022 12:45 PM by aurelio.)
(10-06-2022 03:49 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Here's the answers, straight from Richard:

The initial order was placed (early 82?), planned for 2500 pieces. After the order was placed, the actual costs were finalized and based on the estimated price paid by PPC members, it became clear that PPC could actually provide 2 ROMs to each of the initial buyers, which is why the first 5000 pieces are marked 1-2500A and 1-2500B, each member received a matched pair of A & B ROMs.

In 1983 a subsequent order was placed for 250 more ROMs, as stock was low and this was the minimum order qty from HP at that time.

In late 1984, PPC considered placing a 3rd order, but this was never realized as the membership economics were changing.

Other PPC ROM notes:

The initial order units have the large ROM number followed with A or B, engraved on the top of the module case.

The small numbers engraved on the bottom of the module (as seen in Joe's photo above) are not serial numbers, these are the normal mfg. date codes; e.g. Joe's ROM was made in the 32nd week of 1983 (and so, is from the 2nd order). ROMs from order 1 were made roughly 2144-2148, while second run ROMs seem to be from the 2330's. I have no idea how there is one from 2220, that seems to be from the year in-between orders (can you double check that number, you said it was hard to make out?)

The labels are also different - most (maybe all?) of the "PPC ROM" labels of the first order units were in a bolder font, not the same as that used for HP's modules. ROMs from the 2nd order used labels that were either the same or at least much closer the lighter font used for HP ROM labels. The reason I say perhaps not all order 1 ROMs used the bold fonts is I have a set of the bold font labels, provided in a small labeled envelope to stick on, on top of either the other labels or perhaps onto just the ROM itself, I don't know and don't recall when/where I got these, but probably at PPC in 83-84.

@vervalin - why are you looking for this information? - merely curious
Hi Bob, I was going to post this picture of my PPC MODULE, before to have read you comments, to say "it' could be not the SN" ...then I realized, infact Smile

10-06-2022, 01:08 PM
I don't have one of these so if anybody in the EU has two and can part with one, please lemme know.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
10-06-2022, 01:12 PM
So, now we know of at least TWO that have a "date" stamp of 2220 (Late May, 1982) but we do not know "how" these happen to have this production date because it does not fit with the original production date of 1981 OR the later 250 unit production run of 1983.

The mystery deepens I guess???
10-06-2022, 02:19 PM
(10-06-2022 04:35 AM)vervalin Wrote:  I checked very closely and it is definitely 2220 - see attached photo.

I agree, that's code 2220, but I've no idea how this came to be. And I also see another one below, so it's not a simple fluke. I'll have to dig more... perhaps there was a 2nd order in 82 and a third in 83, and the issue is a memory fault...

--Bob Prosperi
10-06-2022, 02:25 PM
(10-06-2022 09:22 AM)ThomasM Wrote:  I checked my PPC ROM that I bought 1990 directly from EduCALC. Can it be, that it is a very special one? According to the Number on top it seems to be the second one. I hope Richard Nelson can help. Thanks a lot.

The PPC ROM manual (Appendix F) confirms, not surprisingly, that PPC ROM #1 (set of A&B) went to Richard, as he was member #1. Also, in 1990 Richard worked at EduCalc, so it's feasible one of his ROMs got mixed in with the ROMs they were selling. I'll have to follow-up and see if I can find more.

In the meanwhile however, I will gladly trade you one other PPC ROM, plus a Math/Stat ROM complete in the box with all accessories for that one... Smile

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)