Bad Display and New Packaging
12-17-2022, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2022 07:54 PM by akpoff.)
Bad Display and New Packaging
I recently bought an HP Prime on Amazon. It arrived without fanfare, but upon opening the package and turning the calculator on, it was obvious the display was bad. It was washed out, though still visible, and had a lot of flicker. The touchscreen worked, the character display and plotting functions all worked so I assumed a bad production unit and ordered a replacement.

The replacement arrived a few days ago. Before opening I noticed one immediate improvement: new packaging. Rather than the fused blister pack for retail display, it came in a simple brown box sealed only with a piece of tape. Tin snips not required!

I powered on the new calculator. The display was, as expected, perfect. To my eye, the vibrancy and color of the new unit is better than I feared based on comments I've seen from others about the polarizer.

You can see from the side-by-side photo how bad the first was.

Cheers,

--Aaron
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2022, 09:21 PM
RE: Bad Display and New Packaging
If you do happen to see the issue of screen flicker again with this new one, you could try adjusting the refresh rate. See:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-14...26956.html
12-17-2022, 10:35 PM
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the tip. That fixed the flicker problem. The screen is still incredibly washed out. Adjusting the backlighting has no effect.

Is there another adjustment that can fix the saturation?

Cheers,

--Aaron
12-25-2022, 04:56 PM
I doubt there's much you can do to repair it, as the washed-out screen is most likely caused by defective hardware.
Find all posts by this user
12-26-2022, 09:22 PM
Hello,
I've just bought a new HP PRIME G2 and had to return it because some keys did not work well, the round button to move on screen was very erratic and sometimes did not work. I've tried to reset the calculator to the factory setting and I could not. I was pressing C+F+O+ON and C+F+O+ pressing the reset at the back with no results. Very disappointing. I think the quality of the HP Prime is going south very fast. Does anybody know if HP is coming with a calculator superseding HP Prime G2?
Thanks.
John P
12-27-2022, 11:59 AM
(12-26-2022 09:22 PM)John P Wrote:  Hello,
Does anybody know if HP is coming with a calculator superseding HP Prime G2?
Thanks.
John P
Unfortunately no.
HP handed over their calculator business to Moravia and Royal.
Please do a search for their names here.
It's no more the business of HP, now Moravia and Royal are holding the (remaining) calculator business.
please have e.g. a look at this thread: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-18...ht=Moravia
Maybe sometimes (?) there will be new versions, updates and smaller new products from Moravia or Royal.
Ask Mr. Kuperus, maybe you get answers, maybe even usefull answers.
Good luck!
Thomas
12-27-2022, 12:18 PM
(12-17-2022 07:45 PM)akpoff Wrote:  ...
Before opening I noticed one immediate improvement: new packaging. Rather than the fused blister pack for retail display, it came in a simple brown box sealed only with a piece of tape. Tin snips not required!
--Aaron
Could you please have another detailed look at the new Packaging please?
Is there any indication on the packaging that Morvia is the seller, or is HP still listed as the seller?

Many thanks in advance!
Thomas
12-27-2022, 10:17 PM
I ordered a new HP Prime for a reasonable price to avoid rocketing prices of 200 € and it came in the new carton package which I support since it is much more evironmental friendly than the old plastics package.
But what I do not like at all: The printed documentation in my language /German) is 12 lines of text, two of them are headlines. So everything how to use the calculator you have to take from the web. OK, the links offered in the documentation works. But is there a guarantee for the future? It was this only year when I bought a HP 39gs. In the manual I was told that I can learn about this calculator on the website http://www.hp.com/calculators. The link worked, but not for the HP 39gs.
Furthermore the manual for the HP Prime seems to need a lot of improvements. There is only 5 pages of register whereas the much less complicated HP 42S had a register of 16 pages. Please do not underestimate the importance of documantion. For many user this is the key to use thes products adequately.
Concerning the question of Thomas: On the backside left down there are three boxes with information about four importers: Brasil, North&Latin America, Europa and Middle East, Africa & Asia and - OK! - UK!. No other hints for Monrovio etc. are given.
01-06-2023, 11:09 PM
(12-27-2022 12:18 PM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  
(12-17-2022 07:45 PM)akpoff Wrote:  ...
Before opening I noticed one immediate improvement: new packaging. Rather than the fused blister pack for retail display, it came in a simple brown box sealed only with a piece of tape. Tin snips not required!
--Aaron
Could you please have another detailed look at the new Packaging please?
Is there any indication on the packaging that Morvia is the seller, or is HP still listed as the seller?

Many thanks in advance!
Thomas
Hi Thomas,
I apologize for the late reply. I thought I was subscribed to the thread, but I wasn't.

In the first post I didn't see any point in uploading a picture of the back of the box, but now I see it does mention both Moravia and Royal and the areas of the world they support.

Cheers,

--Aaron

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)