How to purhcase a fully working HP41CX on eBay?
04-05-2023, 08:48 PM
RE: How to purhcase a fully working HP41CX on eBay?
(04-05-2023 04:16 PM)Allen Wrote:  
(04-05-2023 03:33 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  28? not many.

I have 41 49Gs.

Why in the world would someone need 41 calculators? Smile

Well, I know why, and it comes in 2 parts:

#1 40 just wasn't enough

#2 41 is a magic number when it comes to HP calculators...

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2023, 09:55 PM
Psychology Today
04-06-2023, 01:33 AM
(04-05-2023 09:55 PM)John Garza (3665) Wrote:  Psychology Today

Not applicable. I read through most of the DSM-IIIR in high school (long story). That's when I decided I wasn't interested in psychology. It was fascinating, but when comparing the categorizations from version to version of the DSM, it became clear they were totally making up bologna for a large part of their profession. All the DSM did is stipulate what kind (and how much) of bologna most of them agreed on at any time- probably to aid in billing the insurance companies- nothing more.

Regarding my "addiction" not only is it NOT cluttered, I have every calculator item, every serial number carefully tested, cataloged, along with purchase date / price, notes, etc..

I have also bought and labeled special boxes for accessories for each series.
It's as precise as I can be given my other computing interests and time commitments. Smile

On a related note: It's very handy to have a Calculator collection when I travel. I detest small talk with strangers on the plane/train/bus, so if someone asks what I do, I say "I collect HP calculators and really enjoy writing mathematical algorith...."

Eye contact breaks, throats clear, and I not a single word is said to me the rest of the flight. Blissful, really.

17bii | 32s | 32sii | 41c | 41cv | 41cx | 42s | 48g | 48g+ | 48gx | 50g | 30b

04-06-2023, 09:53 AM
Not psychology but rather philosophy :-)

1+ 41 = 42 Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything

From The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

/41/48/
04-06-2023, 11:43 AM
(04-06-2023 09:53 AM)Hiwi Wrote:  Not psychology but rather philosophy :-)

1+ 41 = 42 Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything

From The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Sorry, here it's 1 [Enter] 41 [+], but otherwise yeah...

--Bob Prosperi
04-06-2023, 01:12 PM
Very true! I too am very neat and organized with my calculators. I think it's one of the differentiating factors between collectors and hoarders. And I am well aware of the DSM and it's changes through time for insurance and political reasons I agree that's all BS. - but that's not the topic I presented - it was the psychological roots and implications of all this. For me at least it's a passion for something I enjoy - there is no desire to collect 'all things HP'. And some motivation to preserve part of that niche of computing history. And it freaks out most people to tell them I'm using a calculator that's 50 years old!

-J
04-08-2023, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2023 09:24 PM by johnb.)
(04-05-2023 04:04 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  But then again, I'm not a collector (thank goodness !) and I don't own more than two instances of any model (one for occasional use, another for backup,) except for...

Hi, Valentin! I'm John, and I'm a Calc-a-holic.

We're here to stage an intervention for you...

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
04-08-2023, 09:47 PM
(04-08-2023 09:24 PM)johnb Wrote:  
(04-05-2023 04:04 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  But then again, I'm not a collector (thank goodness !) and I don't own more than two instances of any model (one for occasional use, another for backup,) except for...

Hi, Valentin! I'm John, and I'm a Calc-a-holic.

We're here to stage an intervention for you...

Meaning !? ... Should I worry ? ... Wink

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2023, 12:17 PM
(04-04-2023 06:31 PM)Dol Wrote:  I have bought two HP41CX on eBay recently.
One described as in great condition and the other in great working condition.

HP41CX halfnut: (Canada)
Two of the expansion ports refused to work despite no visible corrosion. When the other two ports on the right (from the back of the calculator) are used, the calc will frequelty reset, and loose its time.

HP41CX fullnut: (USA)
Binding posts cracked and beep ever time a key is pressed.
No visible corrosion.

I mean, what do you have to do to get a fully working one?
I then took a flight to Sweden to retrieve my HP41 CV stored in the attic for the past 15 years.. Oh no. Of course the batteries had leakead all inside.. I got it up and running after some care.. But I am still looking for a CX Smile
Any advice on how to get a a calculator which is fully working and according to the description? Does anyone have either a CX or a CL to sell?

Have you contacted the sellers, or raised a complaint with eBay ? You should be able to get your money back if they were falsely represented. Even if you have to pay for return postage it might be worth it.

Cheers,
John
04-12-2023, 01:18 PM
As far as the DSMX goes, what else can they do?

Mental disorders exist.
Each requires different treatment. (i.e., Bipolar Disorder requires different medications than straight depression or schizophrenia.)

There is no brain scan or PCR (generally) that can detect them.

So, you have to develop behavior based diagnosis methods.

Not to say that there is not a lot of fluff in the manuals, but the need for one is there.
04-14-2023, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2023 02:50 PM by albertofenini.)
it's obvious and it does apply to any model not just the HP41*

the first one is because you want one, without it you simply can't call it "a collection"
the second one is because you want to use it a little but don't want to risk with the first
the third one is because the second one turned out nice, too nice to be used and you keep it if the first should fail
the fourth is for spare, just in case
but .... you still miss the one for everyday use and so it goes ...

(04-05-2023 12:18 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(04-05-2023 11:15 AM)Hiwi Wrote:  For what reason do you need 3 full-nuts and one half-nut ? :-)

Ralf

Well, if you have to ask, it's more than likely you won't understand the reply... Addiction is never pretty.... Smile

Edoardo & Alberto
04-14-2023, 04:06 PM
Hi, all,

albertofenini Wrote:but .... you still miss the one for everyday use and so it goes ...

There's a simple solution, which is what I do:
    - get a pristine one for your collection, not meant to use it regularly, if at all.

- get a second pristine/very good one as a backup, again not meant to use it regularly, if at all

- if you'd still want to use that particular model regularly, get a 3rd one either for free (as part of some transaction: "I buy this expensive one but you include that faulty one for free") or for peanuts, which is fully working but with severe cosmetic flaws, so that you won't feel bad using it and risk damaging the cosmetics as they're already bad enough to begin with.

For instance, I own a couple of pristine SHARP PC-1211 pocket computers, not the slightest scratch or blemish on them so I won't risk using them, I wouldn't feel comfortable about it. But as I *do* want to use it a lot (namely to key in and run tons of my 40+ year-old programs for it in order to document and upload them to my site), I got for free this third one affected with bleeding LCD display which looks bad but is perfectly useable:

SHARP PC-1211 w/ bleeding LCD display

and that's it: perfect peace of mind on my side and a poor but still-useable classic machine saved from oblivion or destruction. Smile

V.

04-14-2023, 04:10 PM
(04-14-2023 04:06 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  I got for free this third one affected with bleeding LCD display which looks bad but is perfectly useable:

and that's it: perfect peace of mind on my side and a poor but still-useable classic machine saved from oblivion or destruction. Smile

And you can make it even more useable by replacing it's LCD by a brand new modern version. But then you would need a fourth one ...
04-14-2023, 04:12 PM
well ... that could be ... but it will certainly limit the size of the collection, which we don't want to do ...
it is however what we have done for most of our collection (at least the led models)
but when it comes to certain models it's impossible to retain from buying -> repairing -> adding to the collection ...

(04-14-2023 04:06 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  .
Hi, all,

albertofenini Wrote:but .... you still miss the one for everyday use and so it goes ...

There's a simple solution, which is what I do:
    - get a pristine one for your collection, not meant to use it regularly, if at all.

- get a second pristine/very good one as a backup, again not meant to use it regularly, if at all

- if you'd still want to use that particular model regularly, get a 3rd one either for free (as part of some transaction: "I buy this expensive one but you include that faulty one for free") or for peanuts, which is fully working but with severe cosmetic flaws, so that you won't feel bad using it and risk damaging the cosmetics as they're already bad enough to begin with.

For instance, I own a couple of pristine SHARP PC-1211 pocket computers, not the slightest scratch or blemish on them so I won't risk using them, I wouldn't feel comfortable about it. But as I *do* want to use it a lot (namely to key in and run tons of my 40+ year-old programs for it in order to document and upload them to my site), I got for free this third one affected with bleeding LCD display which looks bad but is perfectly useable:

V.

Edoardo & Alberto
04-14-2023, 04:19 PM
(04-14-2023 04:10 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(04-14-2023 04:06 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  I got for free this third one affected with bleeding LCD display which looks bad but is perfectly useable:

And you can make it even more useable by replacing it's LCD by a brand new modern version. But then you would need a fourth one ...

That would completely defeat the purpose, Didier, which is:

- to have a cosmetically severely-flawed one to actually use it without remorse

and

- so saving the poor thing from being destroyed or dumped to a landfill

and

- stop at the third one for good.

Your proposal accomplishes none of it.

Best regards.
V.

04-15-2023, 01:39 PM
(04-06-2023 01:33 AM)Allen Wrote:  
(04-05-2023 09:55 PM)John Garza (3665) Wrote:  Psychology Today

Not applicable. I read through most of the DSM-IIIR in high school (long story). That's when I decided I wasn't interested in psychology. It was fascinating, but when comparing the categorizations from version to version of the DSM, it became clear they were totally making up bologna for a large part of their profession. All the DSM did is stipulate what kind (and how much) of bologna most of them agreed on at any time- probably to aid in billing the insurance companies- nothing more.

Regarding my "addiction" not only is it NOT cluttered, I have every calculator item, every serial number carefully tested, cataloged, along with purchase date / price, notes, etc..

I have also bought and labeled special boxes for accessories for each series.
It's as precise as I can be given my other computing interests and time commitments. Smile

On a related note: It's very handy to have a Calculator collection when I travel. I detest small talk with strangers on the plane/train/bus, so if someone asks what I do, I say "I collect HP calculators and really enjoy writing mathematical algorith...."

Eye contact breaks, throats clear, and I not a single word is said to me the rest of the flight. Blissful, really.
Excuse me Allen, what does it mean "bologna"?
I've tried to translate it from english, but the only meaning I found is the name of a city in the northern part of my country... Smile

Then.. compliments for your 41's collection!!

many thanks
04-15-2023, 02:04 PM
(04-15-2023 01:39 PM)aurelio Wrote:  
(04-06-2023 01:33 AM)Allen Wrote:  Not applicable. I read through most of the DSM-IIIR in high school (long story). That's when I decided I wasn't interested in psychology. It was fascinating, but when comparing the categorizations from version to version of the DSM, it became clear they were totally making up bologna for a large part of their profession.
Excuse me Allen, what does it mean "bologna"?
I've tried to translate it from english, but the only meaning I found is the name of a city in the northern part of my country... Smile

In the USA, "baloney" has two meanings:
1. bologna sausage
2. nonsense

Apparently, the word "bologna" can also mean "nonsense" in the USA. Here in the UK, only "baloney" (or its variant spellings "boloney" or balonie") in its "nonsense" sense has been incorporated from US culture, but not "bologna".

— Ian Abbott
04-15-2023, 02:54 PM
Aurelio, here too Mortadella is often called Bologna.
And, as already explained, it can also mean nonsense in english

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
04-15-2023, 05:02 PM
(04-15-2023 02:04 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  In the USA, "baloney" has two meanings:
1. bologna sausage
2. nonsense

Yes, thank you, I didn't mean to cause confusion. I did mean "nonsense" or really in the context of the DSM "overwhelming subjective and temporal as to lose all scientific merit". I'm not a great speller anyway.

There is even some disagreement in the psychiatric community about the changing diagnosis levels from revision to revision:

Quote:...tens of millions people now considered "normal" suddenly converted into mentally ill by arbitrary DSM-5 fiat.

-from Two Fallacies Invalidate the DSM-5 Field Trials - Dr Allen Frances, Psyciatric times.com Jan 10, 2012, retrieved 4/15/2023

17bii | 32s | 32sii | 41c | 41cv | 41cx | 42s | 48g | 48g+ | 48gx | 50g | 30b

04-16-2023, 04:01 PM
Thank-you Ian, Massimo and Allen for the explanations.
Massimo actually I also know that Bologna is often used in place of "mortadella", but I excluded that Allen meant that Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)