42S won't self test or turn on after turn off (Problem Solved)
08-22-2014, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2014 01:04 PM by Bruce Larrabee.)
42S won't self test or turn on after turn off (Problem Solved)
I have a 42S that won't run any of the self tests. It also won't turn on after turning off (you have to remove the batteries to turn it back on). When ON all the keys work.
Functions I have tried function but won't run self test.

Any ideas.

Problem solved: calculator had two keys shorted. Repaired and now working.

Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2014, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 08:30 PM by aj04062.)
RE: 42S won't self test or turn on after turn off
My guess is the PCB to Keyboard contact is failing. If you press and hold in the middle of the calculator below the LCD does it behave normally?
Find all posts by this user
08-23-2014, 05:27 AM
I've already replaced the PCB to keypad interface. Please note in my original post, 'When ON all keys work." Get it?

08-23-2014, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2014 05:16 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
"When on, all keys work"

Got it, funny though, I had one that would turn on, function perfectly, but not turn off! It was the contact foam problem.

However, you have repaired the contact foam, and since the repair must be presumed to be perfect; it sounds like an IC problem.

Without, I assume, any electronic testing equipment available, I would re solder (quick melt of each connection) the IC's to rule out a cold solder. This might have ocurred when you disassembled the unit to repair the foam contact. Stressing the board could have caused the solder break quite easily.

Cheers
Find all posts by this user
08-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Well 'perfect' is a strong term for any repair, but thanks....

That is good advice. I'll try that. It has worked for me before .

I do have electronic test equipment, including stuff I build to diagnose specific calculator series. So if you have any tests you'd recommend let me know. Thanks

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)