DB48X: HP48-like RPL implementation for DM42
08-08-2024, 09:34 PM
RE: DB48X: HP48-like RPL implementation for DM42
(08-08-2024 06:59 PM)manolinpinguin Wrote:  ...When I try to use help I get a "Hel error: No help for ...". I also noticed that none of the .bmp images used for the Equation Library are being displayed. Any ideas?

I have gone through the process of going back to the Swissmicros firmware and reinstall the DB50x and nothing. I have copied the "help" folder with all the files and subfolder (I have tried with and without the DB48x.md).

I don't believe Christophe, the author has released any help files yet for DB48x or DB50x, so there simply isn't content to see yet. Also, the stock folder structure is intended for use by the DM32 f/w; actual usage by other client f/w may use different folders and/or content, or use the originals in the same way, or use none at all, that's completely up to the author of that f/w.

Christophe checks-in here regularly, and will have answers pretty quickly.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2024, 05:58 PM
(08-08-2024 09:34 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(08-08-2024 06:59 PM)manolinpinguin Wrote:  ...When I try to use help I get a "Hel error: No help for ...". I also noticed that none of the .bmp images used for the Equation Library are being displayed. Any ideas?

I have gone through the process of going back to the Swissmicros firmware and reinstall the DB50x and nothing. I have copied the "help" folder with all the files and subfolder (I have tried with and without the DB48x.md).

I don't believe Christophe, the author has released any help files yet for DB48x or DB50x, so there simply isn't content to see yet. Also, the stock folder structure is intended for use by the DM32 f/w; actual usage by other client f/w may use different folders and/or content, or use the originals in the same way, or use none at all, that's completely up to the author of that f/w.

There is a db48x.md file that needs to be added to HELP directory of the DM42. I am not sure if this is the same if you are running DB50X on DM32
08-14-2024, 12:14 AM
Yes. I have added the DB50x.md to the help folder.
Still get the error.
08-14-2024, 03:48 PM
(08-14-2024 12:14 AM)manolinpinguin Wrote:  Yes. I have added the DB50x.md to the help folder.
Still get the error.

Please do the following test:
Long press 1/X - you should get a message - Help error: No help for x^-1
long press LN - it should direct to the LN bookmark in Help

This is just to check if the help file is at least loading in your calculator
08-14-2024, 03:57 PM
When I long press 1/x, I get “Help error: No help for x^-1”. Then when I long press ln I get “Help error: No help for ln”.
08-18-2024, 06:47 AM
Release 0.7.13 "Murderers" - Solver improvements

There is no db48x.pgm and db48x_qspi.bin file in the Assets folder. Is this still coming or has it been forgotten?

Maurice
08-18-2024, 07:27 AM
M0R33z: Download the db48x-v0.7.13.tgz archive. It contains all files you need.
08-18-2024, 08:30 AM
OK thanks I overlooked the files :-)
08-18-2024, 10:34 AM
DB48X v0.7.14: Equation related bug fixes
Release 0.7.14 of DB48X is out for testing.

This release fixes a number of issues that were discovered primarily through the Columns and Beams equations.

Features

trigonometrics: Add conversion from non-standard angles, so that cos(1_turn) gives the correct result.

debug: Debug on error with DebugOnError and KillOnError settings. This makes it easier to debug an RPL program, by making it possible to single-step around the instruction that generated the error.

tests: Add three 30 second demo of DB48X features. These are to generate marketing videos for the iPhone version on the Apple store (to be done).

Bug fixes

ui: Keep a GC pointer in draw_object to avoid a memory crash

equations: Add missing units in some equations, e.g. I and A in second equation of Columns and Beams

equations: Add explicit radian unit in Eccentric Columns cos, which ensures we get the correct result from the HP50G manual even
when in Degrees mode.

units: Correctly factor out non-integral powers, so that we can compute 1/sqrt(epsilon_0*mu_0) and get the correct result.

catalog: Display commands that begin with selection first, so thatFORE shows Foreground before AlphaForeground.

stats: When computing a sum, evaluate the expression on all terms. The result for Variance with single variables was wrong because the first term was computed incorrectly due to a misguided optimization.

graphics: Error out in RGBPattern for negative input. The negative values were generating an error, but it was not reported, so the next
command was likely to report it.

help: Render shift keys correctly in the color version. The bitmap was interpreted as containing color data. Colorize it instead.

Improvements

ui: Select orange as background color during search. The previous setting of showing search using white foreground on a white background was probably pushing the notion of "blind search" a bit too far.
08-18-2024, 10:41 AM
(08-18-2024 06:47 AM)M0R33z Wrote:  Release 0.7.13 "Murderers" - Solver improvements

There is no db48x.pgm and db48x_qspi.bin file in the Assets folder. Is this still coming or has it been forgotten?

Maurice

It has not been forgotten, but with all the added files to the help subdirectory (notably the various bmp files), I thought it was "safer" to just distribute the .tgz file so that people know what the expected file structure is, and to clearly split what belongs to DB48X and DB50X.

So for DB48X, you should have:

db48x.pgm
db48x_qspi.bin
help/db48x.md
help/shifts.bmp
help/img/[a large number of].bmp
state/[a couple of demos].48s
config/{characters,constants,equations,library,units}.csv

You need to replicate that structure on the DM42 disk. Typically, you can use something like "cd /path/to/DM42; tar xvfz /path/to/db48x-v0.7.14.tgz" and it should put everything in the right spot.
08-18-2024, 10:43 AM
(08-14-2024 03:57 PM)manolinpinguin Wrote:  When I long press 1/x, I get “Help error: No help for x^-1”. Then when I long press ln I get “Help error: No help for ln”.

So I gather that your problem with the help is still not solved.

On the calculator, you should have a help/db48x.md file, as well as a help/img directory containing a few .bmp files.

Normally, you can achieve the correct layout for the files by extracting the db48x-v0.7.14.tgz directly in the calculator's FAT disk. It should put everything at the correct location.

Notice that there is still a DB50x.md in the DB48X distribution. This is a bug I will fix soonish rather than laterish.
08-18-2024, 04:28 PM
(08-18-2024 10:41 AM)c3d Wrote:  
(08-18-2024 06:47 AM)M0R33z Wrote:  Release 0.7.13 "Murderers" - Solver improvements

Maurice

It has not been forgotten, but with all the added files to the help subdirectory (notably the various bmp files), I thought it was "safer" to just distribute the .tgz file so that people know what the expected file structure is, and to clearly split what belongs to DB48X and DB50X.

So for DB48X, you should have:

db48x.pgm
db48x_qspi.bin
help/db48x.md
help/shifts.bmp
help/img/[a large number of].bmp
state/[a couple of demos].48s
config/{characters,constants,equations,library,units}.csv

You need to replicate that structure on the DM42 disk. Typically, you can use something like "cd /path/to/DM42; tar xvfz /path/to/db48x-v0.7.14.tgz" and it should put everything in the right spot.
Is there a reason that the shift.bmp file isn't with the rest of the images in the help/img/ folder?

WP31S/WP34S, WP43/C47, newRPL (various), and DB48X adhesive and tabbed overlays:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-20113.html
08-18-2024, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2024 09:31 PM by jeanwilson.)
Great, this very last version of the F/W of db48x v7.14 works perfectly in Win10 for me.

And another good news is that with the agreement and coordination of c3d, I am in the process of importing, adapting and considerably modernising the entire HP50g equation library. My goal is to adapt more than 400 equations and document them (in the help file with the associated figures) as well as their 500 variables and corresponding physical units. With the remarkable SOLVER function and automatic units conversion this will make the DB48X platform a real and powerful (first class) beast for numerical calculation applications. Stay tuned to watch the rollout in the coming months. Your suggestions (equations or entire new section, if needed) or corrections will always be welcome.

As a recall, besides the direct straightforward installation of the db48x F/W on the DM42 and DM32 physical calculators (SwissMicros see https://www.swissmicros.com/), the emulator can be installed for the Apple environment (see https://github.com/c3d/db48x), on the IOS (it's new: see https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/db48x/id66...35?l=en-GB) and:

INSTALLATION of the db48x EMULATOR to run in Windows (Win10 or 11) under WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux)

Since we don't have yet a Qt version built directly for Windows (if you know how to do so, please your HELP would be GREATLY APPRECIATED !!), here is an alternate solution based on a procedure from Rowdy (as suggested in the SwissMicros Forum) for building the db48x emulator on a Windows platform. Beforehand you installed Fedora to work in a "Fedora Remix for WSL" console:

INSTALL WSL:
- Open Powershell in Windows in administrator mode
- Type: wsl --install --no-distribution

INSTALL Fedora Remix:
- Download package here: https://github.com/WhitewaterFoundry/Fe ... L/releases
- Install from Windows
After installation a Fedora terminal window opens asking for a new user name and password.

The Linux filesystem for Fedora should be available in Windows file manager and automatically link as a network drive. If not, it can be found here:
\\wsl.localhost\fedoraremix

INSTALL project dependencies within Fedora window (see db48x build notes):

sudo dnf install arm-none-eabi-gcc arm-none-eabi-gcc-cs-c++ arm-none-eabi-newlib
sudo dnf install qt-devel qt6-qtbase-devel qt6-qtdeclarative-devel qt6-qtmultimedia-devel
sudo dnf install freetype-devel
sudo dnf install git

START the EMULATOR:
If you don't have a Github PERSONAL_ACCESS_TOKEN, open your GitHub account to create and copy a new one (you may use SSL instead). Then,

git clone --recursive https://USERNAME:PERSONAL_ACCESS_TOKEN@g.../c3d/db48x
cd db48x/recorder
make test
cd
cd db48x/tools/ttf2font
make test
cd
cd db48x
make sim
./sim/db48x

This last command starts the emulator and you resize its window to fit your screen. You can type VERSION to attest the F/W version and then explore freely all the functionalities already available (especially the true RPL programming environment). I wish you great discoveries concerning the seriousness and incessant progress of the formidable DB48X project.
08-19-2024, 07:11 PM
Hi guys, I got the iOS app today and noticed a couple of minor discrepancies. The EEX button mentioned in the manual does not exist in the app. We got 10x button instead.

Some menus in documentation are still in French even though the language I am using is English. I guess there are some untranslated strings.

In the computing units I see only the basic units bits bytes etc. how do we express the larger units like GBits, GBytes etc?

If we want to check previous calculations is there a way to do that? History will show us the stack but not the operations. In Plus42 I am using the virtual printer for this and in hp50g I have an option to turn trace on. Is there anything that will enable this in DB48X?

Thank you very much
08-19-2024, 10:02 PM
(08-08-2024 09:34 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I don't believe Christophe, the author has released any help files yet for DB48x or DB50x, so there simply isn't content to see yet. Also, the stock folder structure is intended for use by the DM32 f/w; actual usage by other client f/w may use different folders and/or content, or use the originals in the same way, or use none at all, that's completely up to the author of that f/w.

I just noticed I forgot to respond to this.

The help files have been released for a long time, and are updated with each release, if only to update the release notes. Unlike the DM32/DM42 help files, they use Markdown instead of HTML. They also support inline one-bit BMP images since I believe 0.7.12.

Adding images to the help file is the cause of the recent help-related trouble, since adding all the BMP files now used to illustrate equations or constants makes manual installation tedious, so I switched to tar-file installation.
08-19-2024, 10:21 PM
(08-19-2024 07:11 PM)nickapos Wrote:  Hi guys, I got the iOS app today and noticed a couple of minor discrepancies. The EEX button mentioned in the manual does not exist in the app. We got 10x button instead.

Thanks, good catch. Feel free to open individual issues in the GitHub project.

Quote:Some menus in documentation are still in French even though the language I am using is English. I guess there are some untranslated strings.

To my knowledge, only "DEDICACE" (in the Library) is in French. Sorry, it's a hat tip to the Maubert Electronique Mafia. Is there any other?

Quote:In the computing units I see only the basic units bits bytes etc. how do we express the larger units like GBits, GBytes etc?

There are several ways.
- You can type it manually in Alpha mode.
- You can use the prefixes in the "Convert" menu (right-shift 5)

For example, in order to show 1024 bytes in kilobytes or kibibytes, you could use (where LS is left shift and RS is right shift, i.e. two presses on shift):

LS-5 (UNIT)
RS-F5 (Computing)
F2 (byte)
RS-5 (CONV)
F6 (next menu page)
RS-F1 (Ki prefix)

At this point, the stack shows "1 Kibyte"

LS-F6 (previous menu page)
LS-F3 (kilo prefix)

At this point, the stack shows "1 3/125 kbyte"

I believe that your comment is that the Computing units menu should directly contain some of the common sizes, i.e. Kibyte should be there right away, like km for length? Or did I misunderstand you?

Quote:If we want to check previous calculations is there a way to do that? History will show us the stack but not the operations. In Plus42 I am using the virtual printer for this and in hp50g I have an option to turn trace on. Is there anything that will enable this in DB48X?

There is no trace feature yet, but there is a history feature for the command line, and last argument / last stack (undo) commands.

For the history, it's RS-Left (HIST). This automatically activates an editor menu, where RS-F2 and RS-F3 switch to previous/next history. Also note that if you hit the F2 key (Word left) while on the first character in the editor, or the F3 key (Word right) while on the last character in the editor, you will also jump back and forth in the history.
08-19-2024, 10:23 PM
(08-18-2024 04:28 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Is there a reason that the shift.bmp file isn't with the rest of the images in the help/img/ folder?

Yes: history ;-)
08-20-2024, 12:49 AM
(08-19-2024 10:02 PM)c3d Wrote:  
(08-08-2024 09:34 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I don't believe Christophe, the author has released any help files yet for DB48x or DB50x, so there simply isn't content to see yet. Also, the stock folder structure is intended for use by the DM32 f/w; actual usage by other client f/w may use different folders and/or content, or use the originals in the same way, or use none at all, that's completely up to the author of that f/w.

I just noticed I forgot to respond to this.

The help files have been released for a long time, and are updated with each release, if only to update the release notes. Unlike the DM32/DM42 help files, they use Markdown instead of HTML. They also support inline one-bit BMP images since I believe 0.7.12.

Adding images to the help file is the cause of the recent help-related trouble, since adding all the BMP files now used to illustrate equations or constants makes manual installation tedious, so I switched to tar-file installation.

Sorry for my bad info about the help files! It's been a while since I looked closely, so I should have checked a more recent release before commenting, sorry for misleading folks.

--Bob Prosperi
08-20-2024, 03:37 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2024 03:39 AM by nickapos.)
(08-19-2024 10:21 PM)c3d Wrote:  
(08-19-2024 07:11 PM)nickapos Wrote:  Hi guys, I got the iOS app today and noticed a couple of minor discrepancies. The EEX button mentioned in the manual does not exist in the app. We got 10x button instead.

Thanks, good catch. Feel free to open individual issues in the GitHub project.

Quote:Some menus in documentation are still in French even though the language I am using is English. I guess there are some untranslated strings.

To my knowledge, only "DEDICACE" (in the Library) is in French. Sorry, it's a hat tip to the Maubert Electronique Mafia. Is there any other?

Quote:In the computing units I see only the basic units bits bytes etc. how do we express the larger units like GBits, GBytes etc?

There are several ways.
- You can type it manually in Alpha mode.
- You can use the prefixes in the "Convert" menu (right-shift 5)

For example, in order to show 1024 bytes in kilobytes or kibibytes, you could use (where LS is left shift and RS is right shift, i.e. two presses on shift):

LS-5 (UNIT)
RS-F5 (Computing)
F2 (byte)
RS-5 (CONV)
F6 (next menu page)
RS-F1 (Ki prefix)

At this point, the stack shows "1 Kibyte"

LS-F6 (previous menu page)
LS-F3 (kilo prefix)

At this point, the stack shows "1 3/125 kbyte"

I believe that your comment is that the Computing units menu should directly contain some of the common sizes, i.e. Kibyte should be there right away, like km for length? Or did I misunderstand you?

Quote:If we want to check previous calculations is there a way to do that? History will show us the stack but not the operations. In Plus42 I am using the virtual printer for this and in hp50g I have an option to turn trace on. Is there anything that will enable this in DB48X?

There is no trace feature yet, but there is a history feature for the command line, and last argument / last stack (undo) commands.

For the history, it's RS-Left (HIST). This automatically activates an editor menu, where RS-F2 and RS-F3 switch to previous/next history. Also note that if you hit the F2 key (Word left) while on the first character in the editor, or the F3 key (Word right) while on the last character in the editor, you will also jump back and forth in the history.
Thanks for the reply Christophe, I will raise any issues I find in GitHub.
I have created custom units for Kbyte and GBytes in both plus42 and hp50g that is why I was asking what is the way to express them in DB48X. I was mostly asking what is the method to express them in DB42X.
If I remember correctly km exists as a default unit in both hp50g and plus42.
08-25-2024, 08:45 PM
DB48X v0.7.15
Just released.

It's mostly of interest for iOS users where it should fix a display refresh bug.

User(s) browsing this thread: c3d, 7 Guest(s)