Are PIL-Boxes still available?
06-20-2024, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2024 11:57 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
RE: Are PIL-Boxes still available?
(06-20-2024 07:53 AM)PeterP Wrote:  Quick update - we have a working prototype as well as protoype box.
Nice!

(06-20-2024 07:53 AM)PeterP Wrote:  It is using USB-C, Pulse Transformers (those are the biggest parts, more expensive then the PIC!), etc.
Yep, I have bunch of those for when I have time to retrofit my PIL-Box and PIL-I/O units.

(06-20-2024 07:53 AM)PeterP Wrote:  We'll keep everyone updates as testing completes and production runs commence.
I will surely buy a couple of them.

How will be offered ?
  • PCB only with part list ?
  • As kit ?
  • Assembled ?

Sylvain Côté
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2024, 12:11 PM
Really nice update Peter, thanks for spearheading this effort and sharing updates.

I never expected the day would come when I retired my "old" Pil-Boxes for fresh young upstarts like this, but I can see the day is now getting close to reality. Smile

I'm hoping assembled units will be available. I'm willing to murder an HP-IL cable, or send one off to it's death if needed in trade.

--Bob Prosperi
06-20-2024, 03:09 PM
(06-20-2024 07:53 AM)PeterP Wrote:  Quick update - we have a working prototype as well as protoype box. It is using USB-C, Pulse Transformers (those are the biggest parts, more expensive then the PIC!), etc.

smdPILBox In action

smdPILBox Integrated Housing 1

smdPILBox Integrated Housing 2

smdPILBox Integrated Housing 3

The new board is much smaller, will allow in-circuit programming in case of upgrades etc, and will be integrated into a box with HP-IL connectors.

As with everything, its a collaboration with Jeff, Karel, and myself.

Once the design has gone through a few more tests, we can make a production run and have it pre-assembled. Users would only have to glue in the HP-IL pins (I have stocked up on those as well) or murder a perfectly fine HP-IL cable.

We'll keep everyone updates as testing completes and production runs commence.

Kudos! I'm in.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-20-2024, 04:36 PM
(06-20-2024 11:53 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  How will be offered ?
  • PCB only with part list ?
  • As kit ?
  • Assembled ?

Thank you all for the kind words, they go to Jeff, Karel at least as much.

The plan is to offer these as assembled units with the housing and integrated HP-Il Connector and pins. Which means some DIY for the HP-IL connectors will be required, or it can be replaced with HP-IL cables just as in the current design.

I'll be happy to make the PCB schematics etc opensource in continuation of Jeff's spirit, can't speak for Karel who designed the integrated housing.

Given that we plan on being able to order them pre-assembled, it will be easier to run production runs as the only manual task remaining will be the programming of the PIC which can be done in circuit with a pre-programmed PicIt5 ie needing virtually no set-up and then shipping.

Cheers,

PeterP
06-20-2024, 10:48 PM
Here are some newer iterations of the box.
Still in prototype stage. I will make final version when I have a board in my hand to be sure it fits.

I am certainly willing to make the box STLs open source.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-21-2024, 07:22 AM
(06-20-2024 07:53 AM)PeterP Wrote:  Quick update - we have a working prototype as well as protoype box. It is using USB-C, Pulse Transformers (those are the biggest parts, more expensive then the PIC!), etc.

The new board is much smaller, will allow in-circuit programming in case of upgrades etc, and will be integrated into a box with HP-IL connectors.

Once the design has gone through a few more tests, we can make a production run and have it pre-assembled. Users would only have to glue in the HP-IL pins (I have stocked up on those as well) or murder a perfectly fine HP-IL cable.

This is absolutely great stuff, count me in!

Regards, Meindert
06-21-2024, 10:19 AM
Interesting to hear that people are working on a PIL-Box alternative. The PIL-Box is the most useful device I have for my HP calculators.

I guess there is no official name for the new device yet? It would make it easier to discuss about it.

And, if I understand correctly, from the software side everything will work the same as before, i.e., the new device provides a serial interface and we can continue to use, for example, PyILPER?
06-21-2024, 11:08 AM
I propose smdPIL-Box given the choice of components, size, etc.

Yes, software will be the same for now.

Cheers,

PeterP
06-24-2024, 12:37 AM

smdPILBox In action

smdPILBox Integrated Housing 1

smdPILBox Integrated Housing 2

smdPILBox Integrated Housing 3

Great. How can I get one
06-24-2024, 02:53 PM
Great stuff indeed.
I personally prefer an elongated design instead of the transverse one. Perhaps this could also be done also. The box seems to be relatively high, so that the plugs could possibly be arranged one above the other. A bit unconventional, I admit it....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-26-2024, 09:32 AM
Great work guys !! I am definately interest in one or two of these when they become available. Will it also include the PILIO type capability ?

Thanks
John
06-26-2024, 06:56 PM
I'm interested as well. Looking forward to the release!

Try CC41!
06-26-2024, 06:58 PM
(06-26-2024 09:32 AM)Johnboy Wrote:  Great work guys !! I am definately interest in one or two of these when they become available. Will it also include the PILIO type capability ?

Thanks
John

John, thank you for the kind words. We will get the PIL Box functionality working first, followed by the PIL-IO Capability next, which should not be too difficult, but will have some other pins exposed / connected.

Cheers,

PeterP
Yesterday, 03:00 AM
Great news, and nice work guys!

I definitely want one. Keep us informed.

User(s) browsing this thread: 7 Guest(s)