Are PIL-Boxes still available?
05-15-2024, 12:11 AM
Are PIL-Boxes still available?
Is Jeff Garnier still making PIL-Boxes? I have sent several emails to the address listed on his HP-IL Resource Page over the past couple of weeks but I get no response.

My Collection: 55, 67T, 25PLP, 34C, 15C, 16C, 41CV, 41CX, 41-CL, DM41X, DM42, 42S, 48G, 71B, 75C, 95LX, HP-150, Portable+, HP-86, Integral PC.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2024, 02:00 AM
RE: Are PIL-Boxes still available?
(05-15-2024 12:11 AM)twoweims Wrote:  Is Jeff Garnier still making PIL-Boxes? I have sent several emails to the address listed on his HP-IL Resource Page over the past couple of weeks but I get no response.

No. He wrote back to me when I asked him and he said no more will be made. Of course he could change his mind at any time but don't hold your breath.

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
05-15-2024, 07:52 PM
I wonder if a bunch of boards could be made along with a bill of materials, and then we could build them as kits.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
05-15-2024, 08:59 PM
(05-15-2024 07:52 PM)HP67 Wrote:  I wonder if a bunch of boards could be made along with a bill of materials, and then we could build them as kits.

The PIL-Box kit has been available, along with a BOM, for years. The issue is does J-F want to continue programming microcontrollers and fabbing PCB's for the kits or just release the design files?
05-15-2024, 09:08 PM
(05-15-2024 07:52 PM)HP67 Wrote:  I wonder if a bunch of boards could be made along with a bill of materials, and then we could build them as kits.
Sure it is doable, but the IP is in the PIC firmware which is code read protected in the PIC chip.
I strongly suggest to speak with JFG before attempting to clone his project.

Sylvain Côté
05-16-2024, 01:24 AM
(05-15-2024 09:08 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
Sure it is doable, but the IP is in the PIC firmware which is code read protected in the PIC chip.
I strongly suggest to speak with JFG before attempting to clone his project.

JFG provides the firmware source code and hex file for an older firmware version, 1.4, on his HP-IL Resource Page. While version 1.4 has lower throughput than version 2.x, it does work. Scroll down to the "Support Documents and External Technical Resources" section (just before the "ILPer: HP-IL Peripheral emulator" section).
05-16-2024, 08:15 AM
I suggested to JF he could give the whole stuff to a small electronic company and ask them to pay a license fee (less work for him).
So far, I received few boxes recently: JF is still the production/selling source of Pilboxes.
Just contact JF when he can deliver a batch of boxes to you (took several months between requirement from me, production,delivery.. which was ok for me since that was not my first pilbox).

HP71 4TH/ASM & Multimod, HP41CV/X & Nov64d, PILBOX, HP-IL 821.62A & 64A & 66A, Deb11 64b-PC & PI2 3 4 w/ ILPER, VIDEO80, V41 & EMU71, DM41X, HP75D
05-16-2024, 03:23 PM
I am another person who would like to get my hands on a PIL-Box! I have also emailed J-F in the past months, with no response yet.

I am happy to buy a batch of kits, build them up and sell on most of them.

I was thinking that given the electronics world has moved on since 2009, would it be possible for someone to design a simple add-on for a Raspberry Pi, Arduino or similar, and do the grunt work in software?

(Disclaimer, I'm a programmer, not an electronics engineer!)

I was thinking of something like a Pi Hat board which does the translation of HP-IL signals to/from GPIO input/output pins, and handle the rest in software (I.e. the stuff I am happy on which to work!)

I don't want to derail this thread, and would love it if J-F could produce more PIL-boxes, so if anyone wants to discuss it, we could start a new topic.

-- Tim
05-16-2024, 08:05 PM
(05-16-2024 01:24 AM)brouhaha
JFG provides the firmware source code and hex file for an older firmware version, 1.4, on his [url=http://www.jeffcalc.hp41.eu/hpil/index.html' Wrote:  
HP-IL Resource Page[/url]. While version 1.4 has lower throughput than version 2.x, it does work. Scroll down to the "Support Documents and External Technical Resources" section (just before the "ILPer: HP-IL Peripheral emulator" section).

Be aware that 1.x firmware is for the PIC16F628A microcontroller while 2.x firmware is for the PIC16F1826.

The firmware on J-F's website is v1.6.
05-17-2024, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2024 11:23 AM by Karel.)
I think it is time to chime in.

PeterP and me are working on new PCB and printed box that will include connectors.
PCB will use SMD parts. The whole device will be more compact. It will also use pulse transformers modification. Also, an up to date USB C will be used, because we are not stuck with FTDI module, that uses USB micro.
When I wrote to JFG a while ago he told me the main problem was shortage of FTDI modules. We decided to use bare FTDI chip and discrete parts instead of the module.
Please, stay tuned.
05-17-2024, 11:13 PM
(05-17-2024 11:21 AM)Karel Wrote:  Please, stay tuned.

Rabbit Ears are Adjusted!

My Collection: 55, 67T, 25PLP, 34C, 15C, 16C, 41CV, 41CX, 41-CL, DM41X, DM42, 42S, 48G, 71B, 75C, 95LX, HP-150, Portable+, HP-86, Integral PC.
05-18-2024, 01:35 AM
I’m in. Can’t wait to hear more.
05-18-2024, 02:37 AM
(05-17-2024 11:21 AM)Karel Wrote:  I think it is time to chime in.

PeterP and me are working on new PCB and printed box that will include connectors.
PCB will use SMD parts. The whole device will be more compact. It will also use pulse transformers modification. Also, an up to date USB C will be used, because we are not stuck with FTDI module, that uses USB micro.
When I wrote to JFG a while ago he told me the main problem was shortage of FTDI modules. We decided to use bare FTDI chip and discrete parts instead of the module.
Please, stay tuned.

Best news I've heard in a while!
05-18-2024, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2024 03:29 PM by J-F Garnier.)
First, I have to apologize for not answering to the PIL-Box requests in the last weeks, due to personal events that kept me away from my usual occupations and from this forum.

The good news is that a new PIL-Box batch is now available. I informed all people who contacted me in the last months.
It may be the last batch from me for a while, and I'm happy that to see that other people may propose an alternate solution. I'm in touch with Peter on this subject.

I presented my "HP-IL/serial" converter at Allschwil in 2008 and the PIL-Box has been available now for 15 years. This activity gave me a lot of satisfaction with PIL-Boxes shipped as far as Japan or Paraguay. But it's also a lot of work to manage the parts and the assembly, handle the shipping/filling of custom documents, go to the post office every couple of weeks, and I feel now that I don't have the same energy and motivation.

In any case, it's not the end of the PIL-Box.
From the beginning I offered the possibility of DIY PIL-Box at different levels: full component kit, programmed MCU only, or complete DIY using the documentation on the site. A few courageous guys did it successfully (one such fully DIY PIL-Box was on eBay recently).
I will update my site soon with the latest, up-to-date information.

J-F
05-18-2024, 09:00 PM
Hello J-F.

Thank you for your very positive resonse!
I am glad you are in touch with Peter. I hope a lot of good comes from this cooperation.

Cheers,

Karel
06-14-2024, 09:38 PM
new here. Got my 41cv workin. Bought a PRIME. but playin more with 41. Want to communicate it with PC. Pil box, aye? Tell jeff I can CAD and 3d his new designs. either way... I want one. So you guys are sayin someone is workin on a better design?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)