HP 15c CE - New firmware update officially available!
07-25-2024, 08:18 AM
HP 15c CE - New firmware update officially available!
Hello all!

I am happy to inform you, that the new firmware update for HP 15c CE and a new Windows Program for backup and restore created by Cyrille is now officially available on the MORAVIA Consulting website - hpcalcs.com.

This firmware update not only solve some minor issues, such as improving key-press issues (by increasing the key debouncing time to 120ms) or bringing new features like memory backup and restore, but more importantly, is a big milestone as it is a first official update for Voyager calculator since MORAVIA overtook the development of HP calculators in 2021.

It is very important to mention, that this all wouldn't be possible without a new programming cable created by Jose, who did a great job and was able to bring the cable back, which is now for the very first time available directly from HP Licensees.

You can get your cables on hpcalcs.com (Europe), hpofficesupply.com (USA, Canada - available in August) or http://www.thecalculatorstore.com.

I want also to thank to all HP 15c CE development team members, who did a really great job on the project which is also illustrated by this update.

Have fun!

Radim Frydrych, Project Manager at MORAVIA Consulting spol. s r.o.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2024, 11:13 AM
RE: HP 15c CE - New firmware update officially available!
Just out of curiosity, was the minor fix to the Decimal display mode of the HP-16C Mode included?

I know that's an Easter Egg and not officially supported, but wishful thinking on my part.
07-25-2024, 01:03 PM
Thank you very much for official update!

I've been testing the new firmware for several hours now and so far no key bouncing. So maybe the 120 ms will be enough to solve the problems with the keyboard (100 ms in the unofficial firmware was much better than the original one, but not enough).

By the way, what kind of keyboard is it that even 100 ms is not enough for debouncing? My experience with buttons from various manufacturers is that the wobble lasts up to 5 ms max (measured with an oscilloscope) and in my projects I have debouncing set to 10 ms and in years of use no key bouncing.

Prime G2, 15C CE
07-25-2024, 01:49 PM
(07-25-2024 11:13 AM)ctrclckws Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, was the minor fix to the Decimal display mode of the HP-16C Mode included?

I know that's an Easter Egg and not officially supported, but wishful thinking on my part.

Yes, it was fixed.
07-25-2024, 02:22 PM
(07-25-2024 01:03 PM)chromos Wrote:  Thank you very much for official update!

I've been testing the new firmware for several hours now and so far no key bouncing. So maybe the 120 ms will be enough to solve the problems with the keyboard (100 ms in the unofficial firmware was much better than the original one, but not enough).

By the way, what kind of keyboard is it that even 100 ms is not enough for debouncing? My experience with buttons from various manufacturers is that the wobble lasts up to 5 ms max (measured with an oscilloscope) and in my projects I have debouncing set to 10 ms and in years of use no key bouncing.
The 15c uses the same keyboard as the 12c, and we haven't noticed any major keyboard problems with it over the past few years.

We have received a few complaints about keyboard issues, but have not been able to collect enough samples to send to the factory to verify that this is indeed a HW issue.

I have also personally tested some of the returned calculators, and most have passed the keyboard test. I have 1-2 calculators on hand that have real keyboard problems, but unfortunately that is not enough to start the process with the factory. Also, we are not getting any major complaints from our resellers on this issue.

Radim
07-25-2024, 02:58 PM
Thank You very much!
Just installed 2024-06-03 firmware, checksum 0A0Ah.
Tried VoyageSave Application. Great!
07-25-2024, 03:46 PM
(07-25-2024 01:49 PM)Divasson Wrote:  
(07-25-2024 11:13 AM)ctrclckws Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, was the minor fix to the Decimal display mode of the HP-16C Mode included?

Yes, it was fixed.

Thank you for the information. Now I'll consider updating!
07-25-2024, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the reply, Radim. And I'm very glad that you took over the HP calculator division, and I believe that in addition to the great retro replicas, you'll also be busy improving the current HP Prime model (as the new beta firmwares suggest).

I wish you good luck in your work!

Prime G2, 15C CE
07-25-2024, 03:58 PM
Thanks very much indeed.

What's the story for those of us with Mac, and/or Linux systems, but no Windows?

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot/C47
Casio, Rockwell 18R
07-25-2024, 04:32 PM
Cool, I'll grab one of the cables once they're available from the US store. It's nice to see the product getting continued support.

If Moravia does a 42SII, or a 27SII, I'll be sure to get one of those too, hint hint. Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-25-2024, 05:59 PM
(07-25-2024 03:58 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  What's the story for those of us with Mac, and/or Linux systems, but no Windows?

It's not a satisfying answer, but this will run in Parallels and other high fidelity Windows emulator/runtime systems. To my knowledge it has not been tested under Wine yet, but I assume it will work fine, it's a very minimalist command line program and should have no issues.

--Bob Prosperi
07-25-2024, 07:40 PM
(07-25-2024 05:59 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-25-2024 03:58 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  What's the story for those of us with Mac, and/or Linux systems, but no Windows?

It's not a satisfying answer, but this will run in Parallels and other high fidelity Windows emulator/runtime systems. To my knowledge it has not been tested under Wine yet, but I assume it will work fine, it's a very minimalist command line program and should have no issues.

For Wine, there will need to be some messing around to make the USB serial device (assuming the host has a driver for it) appear as a COM port in Wine.

— Ian Abbott
07-26-2024, 01:30 AM
thanks Bob & Ian.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot/C47
Casio, Rockwell 18R
07-26-2024, 05:56 AM
(07-25-2024 08:18 AM)Radim Frydrych Wrote:  You can get your cables on hpcalcs.com (Europe)

It's a pity that hpcalcs.com doesn't deliver to the United Kingdom. We *are* in Europe here. We may no longer be part of the European Union but we most definitely are in Europe.

Current daily drivers: HP-41CL, HP-15C, HP-16C
07-26-2024, 06:29 AM
Hello,

I am in China. But I can not find a way to buy.

The calculator store has no choose for china.

HP35 HP45 HP55 HP65 HP67 HP21 HP25 HP29C HP19C HP97 HP10C HP11C HP12C HP15C HP16C HP31E HP32E HP33E HP33C HP34C HP37E HP38E HP38C HP41
07-26-2024, 06:49 AM
(07-26-2024 06:29 AM)tangdfx Wrote:  Hello,

I am in China. But I can not find a way to buy.

The calculator store has no choose for china.

Hi,

Now you can!
07-26-2024, 10:25 AM
(07-26-2024 05:56 AM)RPNerd Wrote:  
(07-25-2024 08:18 AM)Radim Frydrych Wrote:  You can get your cables on hpcalcs.com (Europe)

It's a pity that hpcalcs.com doesn't deliver to the United Kingdom. We *are* in Europe here. We may no longer be part of the European Union but we most definitely are in Europe.

The Calculator Store sells to the UK
07-26-2024, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2024 11:34 AM by Johnh.)
Hi @Divasson, Thanks for the link to your store in the post above. I just ordered a cable to my home in Australia. I thought the transaction was very clear and well organised, with email confirmation too.

Once ive set it up, to be able to save to pc will give me confidence to expand on the range and complexity of programs I can put in, without risk of losing it all or messing up. And firmware upgrades are a great step up too. I'm not too concerned by the other modes, but the debounce fix will be much appreciated. My hp15c-CE isn't too bad in this regard, but it does catch me out occasionally.
07-26-2024, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2024 07:42 AM by Divasson.)
Just a comment in reply to many questions received:
  • New calculators still come with the old firmware (here and everywhere else!). These are still available. They do not come with cable unless expressly stated (as below)
  • We also offer the "Enhanced version" that comes with the new firmware installed + cable + HP16c overlay. We also check the keyboard for malfunctioning keys. It takes out the hassle of installing it oneself.
  • Cable can be bought separately. There are lower prices for HP15c customers from The Calculator Store. For American customers, it can also be found at commerce.hpcalc.org
  • there is a bundle with cable + hp16 overlay too
  • The new firmware fixes also the DEC bug. We just do not comment unsupported features...;-)
  • Backup or restore does not reset the machine and does not require pushing the cable buttons. However, restore alters the memory contents. NOTE: restoring a file made in a different mode (15, 15.2, 16) may (will?) result in errors, and that may require a reset.
  • If the HID connection does not seem to work, please try another USB port - some work and some don't!
07-26-2024, 12:05 PM
(07-26-2024 10:25 AM)Divasson Wrote:  The Calculator Store sells to the UK

Thanks. Order placed, even if it's going to be an expensive cable with €17 for shipping plus VAT and customs duty my end (mumble mumble damn Brexit mumble...)

Current daily drivers: HP-41CL, HP-15C, HP-16C

User(s) browsing this thread: jpride@1956, 2 Guest(s)