Calculator Security Base w/Lock
07-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Calculator Security Base w/Lock
Wrong Forum???

Years ago (20?) I bought an old black LED HP calculator at a community college auction.
It was locked into a metal case with a plastic wrapped steel cable.
Today (finally!) I took it to a locksmith and they were able to pick the lock and remove the calculator.
They were unable to find a replacement set of keys.
I'll pick up the calculator, its wall wart, and security base tomorrow.
Does anyone here know where I might be able to find replacement keys?
Was the security base an HP accessory?
( I didn't post the model of the calculator because the security base was blocking the number)

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2024, 02:40 AM
RE: Calculator Security Base w/Lock
HP sold these security cradles for the Classic series (35, 80, 45, 55, 65, 70, 67) and Woodtsock series models (21, 22, 25, 25C, 27, 29C); the classic models were mostly black/dark, while the Woodstocks were all beige and much smaller.

If the case had a small slot on the two long sides, then it's either a 65 or a 67, to allow the card reader to be used, but I suppose you'll know tomorrow. Since you say it was black, I'm going to guess HP-45.

These cradles indeed have a lock and a (very securely) attached steel cable, which was intended to be secured to a table or desk; the intention was to allow a group (engineers in a dept. or students in a classroom or library) to share a single calculator.

I have several of these, but as you would expect from HP at the time, they are not all keyed the same, so borrowing another's key is unlikely to be of much help, other than perhaps to have your locksmith re-create a key; good locksmiths can do that, but finding one today is not easy.

--Bob Prosperi
08-01-2024, 12:41 PM
Hello!

(08-01-2024 02:40 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  ...good locksmiths can do that, but finding one today is not easy.

They can only do it if there are still key blanks available for that lock. After almost 50 years it will be no easy task to find one. But these locks are quite simple and trying out various cabinet keys from around the house might result in success. Or otherwise spend an evening watching YouTube videos from the "Lock Picking Lawyer" who sells the necessary tools in his webshop "Covert Instruments" ...

Regards
Max
08-01-2024, 08:46 PM
Nah, good locksmiths can recreate any key, from blank brass stock. It's not cheap, but also not rocket science.

I suppose 3D printing in metal has brought new options to the table, but I've not heard of this use yet.

--Bob Prosperi
08-01-2024, 10:19 PM
Thank you for all the responses.
I just got back from the locksmith.
The calculator is HP-35 s/n 1306A 33680
It did not have a battery pack, and unfortunately I may have broke tabs off the battery cover removing it.
(not the sliding tabs on the feet.)
Battery wall wart is 82002A with 2 voltage settings.

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
08-02-2024, 01:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2024 01:45 AM by BobVA.)
You're fortunate there wasn't a battery pack in there! It certainly would have leaked by now, damaging the calculator.

The HP 35 is the first member of the "Classic" series. You can find more information about it here: https://www.hpmuseum.org/hp35.htm

Replacement battery packs are available on eBay and there are numerous approaches to making them yourself.

Depending on what happened to the battery door you may be able to repair it, and there are 3D printed replacements / CAD files available for both the door and the latches.

Nice find!
08-02-2024, 02:02 AM
(08-01-2024 10:19 PM)Ren Wrote:  The calculator is HP-35 s/n 1306A 33680

Dang I missed the right type... but I only missed by 10!

--Bob Prosperi
08-02-2024, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2024 08:08 PM by Ren.)
As I have another HP-35 (s/n 1143 25690) (neither have the red dot), they both are missing the Model Number on the the bottom front label, but the non-cradled one has the "dot" on the 5 key and has its s/n on the bottom cover not in the battery compartment. After reading the MoHPC page(s) on the 35 they could be the same Type (2?) and that HP made various changes through out the 35 series without regard to Type. (I don't think I wrote that as well as I meant it)

The HP Security Cradle Model number is 8208T (I think the second 8 is correct). Looking in the keyway, the first pin is a bit skewed, so maybe the locksmith damaged it and others when picking it.

edit: minor edit hopefully clarifying things

08-08-2024, 12:33 PM
Hi Ren:

I have the Classic cradle (82007A) and a Woodstock cradle (82029A). Don't have the 65/67 cradle (82015A). Interesting model# 8208T, seems unlikely to be a valid part number; who knows. However, it may be possible to locate a blank so a locksmith can cut a key for you.

Unlike the TI cradle (PC-100) the key and lock on the cradle both have the same number stamped on them. However, the key also has to alphabetic letters preceeding the number. Unfortunately, the number on the cradle is visible on the outside of the cradle. There are websites (or used to be) where you can buy pre-cut keys giving the key markings.

My HP cradle has a no-number key with no marking on the cradle lock. I opened it up and even removed the lock altogether and there is no marking. So no website to order pre-cut keys. Better for security anyways.

But the main information is the key idenfies the key manufacturer. Mine is an ABUS key; evidently a German manufacturer. From very close examination of their web-site:
https://www.abus.com/usa/Available-resources/Key-blanks
it appears my key is from the 23/60, 24IB/5 + 60, 41 blank series. Beside the drawings is an image of the "key hole" as you'd look at it when inserting the key.

Unfortunately, there are no dimensions. Was forced into very close examination of the key and images using relative scaling to guestimate the key. For example, a key similar to mine is the 24, 26, 28 series blank. However, the widths of the grooves and flat spots don't match.

There is an TAS seller who has blanks for both series of those ABUS key numbers. I have no association with the seller and have never ordered from them:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384693224682 -- appears to match my unit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363699971157

My Woodstock cradle uses a different brand of key and has a number on it. Can't figure out who the manufacturer is. The marking is a funky NI or NNI. Undoubtedly, identifies the key maker.

However, from the Internet, it appears HP did not consistently use the same key manufacturer. Its hard to see, but the following link shows a 65 cradle using the same key as my Woodstock cradle:
https://www.hewlettpackardhistory.com/it...postId=513

If anyone recognizes the NI or NNI marking and can identify the manufactuer, please post.

I know including pictures of my keys would be handy. But its difficult to hold my hands still or find a good place around the house to brace them take a picture.
08-17-2024, 09:28 AM
Guess this is here for Internet reference.

Threw my keys on a scanner. Since the one web page referenced above shows the profile of the keyhole, scanned the classic cradle. Would need to remove the lock to do the same for the woodstock, so didn't bother.

Hoping someone will recognize the NI/NNI key vendor name, so blanks can be found to make spares.

thanks

08-18-2024, 01:52 AM
In 1973, the meteorology department at Florida State University had 2 HP-35’s in locked cradles on 2 chairs with a little desk top. They were at the small library in the meteorology department. They seemed like little miracles!
08-28-2024, 12:37 AM
Just for thrills I ordered:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384693224682
which has a multi-application title: ABUS Key Blank 24IB - 26- 28 - 41 KBR 5 Pin

Evidently it fits multiple things:
"Fits ABUS padlock models 24IB 60 & 70, 26 series, 28/70 and 41 series KD padlocks"
And described as: ABUS key blank 24RK/26 KBR 5-pin right handed

Whatever that all means, I don't know. I have no association with the seller, no commissions here!

But, for whatever its worth. This key does fit my classic cradle. Have no idea if all classic cradles use the same key type.

Has anyone recognized the NI/NNI key type or manufacturer of the key blank used in my Woodstock cradle?

thanks
08-29-2024, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2024 07:06 PM by Ren.)
Thank you Duane Hess for all that research!
I'll order a couple of the keys you mentioned.
I'll have to double check the Model Number of the cradle I have, but it is a faint emboss.

[edit] It has been over 30 years, but the other HP-35 have may have also come with a Security Cradle (given to me by a then girlfriend) It may have been the start of my "collection". But, I didn't see the significance of the cradle (it likely came with a key) and I threw it out (Sigh!)

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)