Just bought a DM41X
08-14-2024, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2024 02:04 PM by CheshireChris.)
Just bought a DM41X
I've succumbed to temptation and bought a DM41X only a couple of days after getting my vintage HP-41CV. I realised that if I wanted to use all the modules that are out there, it's vastly easier (and ultimately cheaper) to do so with the DM41X than it is to try to find old modules on eBay. Lovely looking device - it feels really solid and professional and, unlike some of the photos I've seen, all the screen printing is spot-on with mine. It came with firmware v2.1, so I've updated it to the current v2.2, which was a very straightforward process.

I'm very impressed with Swiss Micros' ordering process. I ordered on Monday afternoon and it was delivered to me in the UK on Wednesday morning. No customs charges, which was a pleasant surprise.

Chris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2024, 03:21 PM
RE: Just bought a DM41X
(08-14-2024 12:15 PM)CheshireChris Wrote:  I've succumbed to temptation
No, you made a thoughtful and wise decision!
(08-14-2024 12:15 PM)CheshireChris Wrote:  No customs charges, which was a pleasant surprise.
Congrats to both the new calculator and to the sensible import rules of your country :-)
08-14-2024, 06:34 PM
(08-14-2024 03:21 PM)vaklaff Wrote:  Congrats to both the new calculator and to the sensible import rules of your country :-)

A few weeks ago I bought something on eBay from Germany for £200, and had to pay £72 in import taxes and other charges on it. That's why this was a pleasant surprise!

Chris
08-15-2024, 05:46 AM
(08-14-2024 06:34 PM)CheshireChris Wrote:  A few weeks ago I bought something on eBay from Germany for £200, and had to pay £72 in import taxes and other charges on it. That's why this was a pleasant surprise!

I just bought some goodies from the calculator store in Barcelona. UK Border Farce sat on the package for a week before deciding to raise customs charges. Royal Fail has my e-mail address because they notified me that they were expecting the package from Correos (Spanish postal service), so they could have e-mailed me to notifiy the charges and point me to a place to pay them on line, right? Nope. You wait until the package arrives at your local delivery office and they put a card through your letter box. Pay the charge and they'll deliver the package. Three days later... I don't have it yet.

Hats off to José for sending the package off so quickly while revamping his website and to Correos for getting it quickly to Heathrow. Things went downhill from there.

Getting something that quickly from Switzerland and with no import duty to pay must indeed be a pleasant surprise!

Current daily drivers: HP-41CL, HP-15C, HP-16C
08-15-2024, 08:27 AM
(08-14-2024 06:34 PM)CheshireChris Wrote:  
(08-14-2024 03:21 PM)vaklaff Wrote:  Congrats to both the new calculator and to the sensible import rules of your country :-)

A few weeks ago I bought something on eBay from Germany for £200, and had to pay £72 in import taxes and other charges on it. That's why this was a pleasant surprise!

Ouch. Here (CZ), calculators and computers have zero customs but we are charged extra VAT on the goods as well as on the shipping (this particularly blows my mind) so the total charges look to be in about the same ballpark as yours. Not to mention the administrative hassle. I mostly avoid buying from outside the EU. I do buy from SwissMicros but it always takes a year or so to collect courage for another run…

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)