New official firmware
09-04-2024, 02:35 PM
RE: New official firmware
I downloaded the firmware files using the Connectivity software but I forgot where it puts them. Anybody know?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2024, 02:37 PM
I updated my 2 G1 and my G2 without any issues. Initially the connectivity kit did not recognise the new version but it picked it up after a few minutes without me doing anything.
09-04-2024, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2024 04:12 PM by CheshireChris.)
(09-04-2024 02:35 PM)tgallo Wrote:  I downloaded the firmware files using the Connectivity software but I forgot where it puts them. Anybody know?

If you're using a PC it puts the files in the "My Documents/HP Connectivity Kit/Firmware" folder. You don't need to know where the files are to do the update, though.

Chris
09-04-2024, 05:14 PM
(09-04-2024 11:24 AM)nbenm Wrote:  @RobbiOne

You can find all binaries (MacOs are very limited), at the end of this post (in french).
But you'll can download the firmware.

Tnx for the link, I found it!
I know the TI-Planet website but I didn't find the link for downloading the new FW.
I link here the link for someone else:
https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=4194509

Unfortunately there is a problem in the updating procedure with MacOS because it's stuck at 1%, but I will try with Win11.
09-04-2024, 05:33 PM
(09-04-2024 05:14 PM)RobbiOne Wrote:  Unfortunately there is a problem in the updating procedure with MacOS because it's stuck at 1%, but I will try with Win11.

It was the same for me. CK for MacOS is very buggy.
I had to retry several times. At the end it has updated.
09-04-2024, 08:26 PM
(09-04-2024 04:11 PM)CheshireChris Wrote:  
(09-04-2024 02:35 PM)tgallo Wrote:  I downloaded the firmware files using the Connectivity software but I forgot where it puts them. Anybody know?

If you're using a PC it puts the files in the "My Documents/HP Connectivity Kit/Firmware" folder. You don't need to know where the files are to do the update, though.

And on a Mac: /Users/<username>/Documents/HP Connectivity Kit/Firmware/

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot/C47
Casio, Rockwell 18R
09-04-2024, 08:34 PM
(09-04-2024 08:26 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  And on a Mac: /Users/<username>/Documents/HP Connectivity Kit/Firmware/

Perhaps in UK.
Please note that this is language dependent.
In France, on my Mac, the path is:
/Users/<username>/Documents/HP\ Connectivity\ Kit/Micrologiciel/PrimeG1/
or
/Users/<username>/Documents/HP\ Connectivity\ Kit/Micrologiciel/PrimeG2/
depending on the device

"Micrologiciel" means "Firmware". But in terms of path, this is important.
09-05-2024, 12:20 AM
(09-04-2024 11:10 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  If you run into problems, please make sure you have the latest CK downloaded (found at hpcalcs.com/downloads) and then it should run smoothly!

I copied and pasted that url into my browser, and was met with a 403 access forbidden page.

- neek
09-05-2024, 12:56 AM
(09-05-2024 12:20 AM)ftneek Wrote:  
(09-04-2024 11:10 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  If you run into problems, please make sure you have the latest CK downloaded (found at hpcalcs.com/downloads) and then it should run smoothly!

I copied and pasted that url into my browser, and was met with a 403 access forbidden page.

It's download, not downloads

https://hpcalcs.com/download/

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-05-2024, 06:25 AM
(09-05-2024 12:56 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(09-05-2024 12:20 AM)ftneek Wrote:  I copied and pasted that url into my browser, and was met with a 403 access forbidden page.

It's download, not downloads

https://hpcalcs.com/download/

Thanks for that, I had the same problem and found the link independently from Klaas post.
09-05-2024, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2024 05:11 PM by jfelten.)
I just installed the firmware, and I quite like the new bug fixes, but there are still a few issues which I would like to be addressed, as well as several feature requests, particularly regarding Python:

1. The hpprime drawing commands won't accept anything larger than 0x7fffffff as a color parameter, which makes is impossible to draw anything above half transparency (technically hpprime.eval() is possible but it's really slow). Anything above that threshold for example `hpprime.pixon(0, 0, 0, 0xff000000)`, outputs "OverflowError: overflow converting long int to machine word".

2. The garbage collector doesn't seem to work on `hpprime.eval("ROTATE(...)")`, which can result in a crash due to memory overflow after repeated calls.

3. It would be really nice to have an equivalent to GETPIX in Python, as `hpprime.eval("GETPIX_P(...)")` is very slow.

4. Some other PPL commands I've love to see in Python are TRIANGLE (especially the 3D renderer) and TEXTSIZE, since again, calling them through eval() yields poor performance.

5. There are issues with semi-transparent pixels being coped with full opacity with the blit commands.

6. Would it be possible to add texture mapping to TRIANGLE()?

7. One issue I've faced in the past is my files getting randomly deleted, corrupted, or moved to other apps for no apparent reason. Not sure if it's been patched yet but if not then it should absolutely be looked at.

8. It would be really convenient to add f"{}" strings to Python.

9. I know other people have talked about this in the past but please add an option for monospaced font in the terminal.

10. While on the topic of fonts, I recall there being a beta firmware which enabled text styling options for TEXTOUT. Is that still being worked on? If so, when will it be released and can it be ported to Python as well?

11. I really wish it were possible to create custom GROBs in Python, kinda like the ICON command in PPL, rather then being limited to just the 10 built-in ones.

Also is there any official site for submitting firmware bug reports?
09-05-2024, 07:20 PM
(09-04-2024 08:34 PM)nbenm Wrote:  "Micrologiciel" means "Firmware". But in terms of path, this is important.

good point! thanks for clarifying.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot/C47
Casio, Rockwell 18R
09-05-2024, 08:08 PM
(09-05-2024 05:11 PM)jfelten Wrote:  I just installed the firmware, and I quite like the new bug fixes, but there are still a few issues which I would like to be addressed, as well as several feature requests, particularly regarding Python:

1. The hpprime drawing commands won't accept anything larger than 0x7fffffff as a color parameter, which makes is impossible to draw anything above half transparency (technically hpprime.eval() is possible but it's really slow). Anything above that threshold for example `hpprime.pixon(0, 0, 0, 0xff000000)`, outputs "OverflowError: overflow converting long int to machine word".

2. The garbage collector doesn't seem to work on `hpprime.eval("ROTATE(...)")`, which can result in a crash due to memory overflow after repeated calls.

3. It would be really nice to have an equivalent to GETPIX in Python, as `hpprime.eval("GETPIX_P(...)")` is very slow.

4. Some other PPL commands I've love to see in Python are TRIANGLE (especially the 3D renderer) and TEXTSIZE, since again, calling them through eval() yields poor performance.

5. There are issues with semi-transparent pixels being coped with full opacity with the blit commands.

6. Would it be possible to add texture mapping to TRIANGLE()?
[...]

When it comes to graphic commands, we still lack INVERT, optionally FILLPOLY (although it would be good to have some sort of flood fill) and definitely need to add font size to TEXTOUT.

Currently, executing the PPL command using hpprime.eval() operates slower than direct execution in PPL because each call to hpprime.eval() involves parsing and compilation (tokenization) before the PPL engine executes the code. It seems to me that, similar to the compile method in Python which allows saving a compiled piece of code to a variable for execution, a similar method could be implemented for PPL in the hpprime module. This way, the compilation could be performed once at the program’s start, allowing this compiled code to be executed multiple times without the need for reparsing and recompiling each time. This should significantly speed up the operation of any PPL functions called from Python.

Piotr Kowalewski
09-07-2024, 02:31 PM
Thank you very much for the firmware update!

An updated version for the Virtual HP Prime (latest 2.1.14730) would be very welcome.
Will this be provided later?
Thank you very much!
09-07-2024, 03:11 PM
Is there going to be an update for the emulator?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-2024, 02:54 PM
Updated my G2 2 days ago, tried some compound unit conversions today and some of the conversions were off.

Did a little digging and it looks like the bug referenced here: https://hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-20505.html is back

User(s) browsing this thread: 26 Guest(s)