OH-HP 30S overhead projector calculator
09-17-2024, 02:48 PM
OH-HP 30S overhead projector calculator
I was recently the sole bidder on what is labeled "The Educator, OH-HP 30S Scientific Calculator" in NIB condition. See attached picture. It's a product of Stokes Publishing Company, Sunnyvale, CA (California, not Canada!) Both the display and keyboard are transparent, with the center of the calculator body holding a battery and calculator electronics (the unit is labeled "Emulates Hewlett Packard HP 30S" so perhaps there's a micro in there?). The unit only shows a few digit pixels and an annunciator when turned on, so it is not functional.

I was aware other calculator companies produced overhead versions of their calculators for classroom use, in fact I picked up one for the Casio fx-7000 a few years ago. That's a fairly capable scientific calculator.

Does anyone know of other HP calculator overhead models, or similar scientific calculators for overhead projectors from other manufacturers? These appear occasionally on TAS, but at prices that suggest very little interest from buyers.

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2024, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2024 03:14 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
RE: OH-HP 30S overhead projector calculator
Hello!

(09-17-2024 02:48 PM)mfleming Wrote:  Does anyone know of other HP calculator overhead models, or similar scientific calculators for overhead projectors from other manufacturers?

The only one I have is a Ti-30X II, bought on eBay in 2007. It is also made by the company "The Educator" and looks very similar to your HP 30S. Mine works, at least it worked when I put it in a box together with other uninteresting calcualtors ca. 15 years ago. Haven't seen it since. I also have not seen an overhead projector in 20 years.

Regards
Max

[Image: Ti-30X_II_OverheadCalculator.jpg]
09-17-2024, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 07:13 AM by Martin Hepperle.)
There seem to be plenty of Casio, TI and Sharp calculator models in overhead projector versions. These are probably more or less phased out now as overhead projectors have become a thing of the past.

Some of them are connected to special enlarged display units which are then put on the projector.
Others are simply built from transparent parts (using their standard LCD display without reflecting back and transparent keys) and have to be placed directly on the projector.

Examples (see https://www.dynatech.de/catalogsearch/re...q=overhead in German):
Casio OH-82 Super
Casio OH-300 ES PLUS
Casio OH-300 ES (FX-82 ES/ FX-350 ES/FX-85 ES/FX-115 ES, FX-991)
Casio OH-9860 (overhead display for FX-9860G/FX- 9860G SD)
Casio VI-9850 G Plus TV/Video (has an analog composite video output for connecting a color monitor - rather poor output quality)

TI-OHD 30 X II
TI-OHD 30 X MultiView
TI-OHD 30 X
TI-OHD 106
TI-OHD 34 MultiView
TI-OHD Math Explorer
TI-Nspire VSH ViewScreen (overhead-display with USB-Schnittstelle for Nspire)

Sharp OH-531 W (EL-531 WH / EL-531)
Sharp OH-W531 (EL-W531G / EL-W531H)
Sharp OH-520 VA (EL-520 VA)
Sharp OH-509 RT (EL-531 RH)
Sharp OH-520 W/WG (EL-520 WG)
Casio OH-82 (FX-82 SX)
Sharp OH-531 V (EL-531 VH/ EL-531 V BK)

Martin
09-17-2024, 06:55 PM
Hi,

Some time ago I found a classroom version of the HP 19BII. It is not a original HP product but uses
a modified HP 19BII to drive a transparent LCD screen.
See https://www.keesvandersanden.nl/calculat...ii_crd.php

Best regards,

Kees
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-17-2024, 07:29 PM
Hello,

(09-17-2024 06:55 PM)Kees van der Sanden Wrote:  ... to drive a transparent LCD screen.

Similar screen-only devices also exist for some graphing calculators from TI as can be seen here: http://www.datamath.org/Graphing/TI-VSP92.htm

They are still being sold for the Ti-nspire so it looks as if some schools still use overhead projectors!

Regards
Max

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)