Systems Analyst
48G+/58C/85B/PC1500A
TH-78A/DooGee S9
Focal & All Basic´s
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2015, 01:36 AM
RE: New Power Casio
Should these new ClassWiz scientifics come with power-off memory protection, they could give the TI-36X Pro a run for its money.
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2015, 09:52 AM
It looks interesting. Seems like it is able to interact with some smarphone app (I can not speak japanese, just guessing from the pictures).

I have been thinking about buying a TI 36X pro, but TexasInstruments products availability is poor here in Spain, even compared to HP´s.

I suppose this wiz is available only in Japan so far, but it will probably hit the shelves around here sometime.

Another Casio product that catched my attention is the new surveying orientated machine:

http://casio.jp/dentaku/products/survey/fxfd10pro/
03-09-2015, 12:20 PM
From Google translate ...... The description references the fx-995ex as the "previous" model and says that this one has a nicer look and feel with twice the memory. The only connection to a smart phone that it seems to have is that it can generate QR codes on the display that you then scan with your phone to link to websites.

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2015, 05:48 PM
The Calcuso store in Germany is selling it for 30 Euro eachunder the designation of Casio FX 991 DE X.
They say it features 696 functions, well above the 991ES Plus series.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

03-11-2015, 02:48 AM
Hope the new CASIO can solve 0=d/dx(f(x)lx=x for some f(x) in table, and for an f(x)=integral of some function equaling some given area under the curve evaluated from say, 1 to x. Also, hope it can accomplish this from point a to b for max of function 1,function 2.

I ask this, because the TI 36X Pro can accomplish this!
03-11-2015, 03:16 AM
(03-11-2015 02:48 AM)lrdheat Wrote:  Hope the new CASIO can solve 0=d/dx(f(x)lx=x for some f(x) in table, and for an f(x)=integral of some function equaling some given area under the curve evaluated from say, 1 to x. Also, hope it can accomplish this from point a to b for max of function 1,function 2.

I ask this, because the TI 36X Pro can accomplish this!

I was thrilled to learn of this feature from you on the TI-36X Pro(visional) and will be happy to try it out. In the meantime, per my above sentiments, I was using the poly-solv feature to solve a quadratic that returned imaginary roots, was interrupted, went to the kitchen to make a snack, and returned to find my TI auto-turned off.

I simply hit the On button and found everything exactly as I left it! Were Casio to wise up and provide power-off memory protection on any of their non-graphing scientifics they could leap ahead with potential buyers like me.

/Silicon Valley Regards
03-11-2015, 04:03 AM
The TI 36X Pro can solve these equations in num-solve if you use classic entry mode (max of 80 characters), and enter your function of interest into table app under choice 2. Then go to num-solve. Enter your equation in terms of f(x)...example: 0=d/dx(f(x)lx=x) by entering num-solve, make left side "0"(delete anything that was on left side), right side, press d/dx press table, press choice 1, complete the()'s, enter. This will take you to the solve environment. Enter a guess for x, solve, and it will produce the nearest max or min point for your f(x). If you want to know what f(x) is at that x value, press num-solve, delete "0", press variable key twice to cycle to "y", go to right hand term, put curser over the d of the d/dx, press delete. This will leave you with y=f(x). press enter to return to solve environment. Leave your "x" value alone, solve for y, and this gives your f(x) value for your max or min point!

Solving for a specified area under the curve can be done by entering into table, choice 2, say, fint(sin(x)*x^2,x,0,x), pressing num solve, entering , say, 2=f(x) again, f(x entered by pressing table, choice 1, completing()'s. Press enter, and enter a guess for x and solve.

In all cases, making a quick table for your function of interest will facilitate making a reasonable guess to enter into the solve environment.

Have fun!
03-11-2015, 04:15 AM
Here and here for more info.
03-11-2015, 05:12 AM
Tantalizing, but stll doesn't tell us if d/dx and integral of f(x) can be used in solve. So far, we only know that d/dx can be determined for a specific value of x of some function f(x). Similarly for integral of some function.
03-11-2015, 05:48 AM
(03-11-2015 04:15 AM)Nate Wrote:  Here and here for more info.

Interesting, yes. In the grand scheme of things, I would trade, say, the high resolution FSTN Casio display with a simple memory safeguard that has always been found in the heritage of all TI scientific calcs.

I could even overlook the heavily modal features of the Casios if the Casios would not 'destroy' all of my hard work inputs after timing out.

/Silicon Valley Regards
03-11-2015, 06:14 AM
(03-11-2015 05:12 AM)lrdheat Wrote:  Tantalizing, but stll doesn't tell us if d/dx and integral of f(x) can be used in solve.
From the german manual:

Die folgenden Funktionen sind in einer Gleichung nicht zulässig [the following functions are not allowed in solve -Ra]:
∫,d/dx,Σ, [product -Ra], Pol, Rec, ÷R

hth
03-11-2015, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2015 11:23 AM by david sanz.)
Ok, so TI 36X Pro flies in circles around the Casio 991.

But if you go to the WallMart-like store to find on the shelf the usual Casio suspects, plus (incredibly) HP 300s, and even Canon X MARK I Pro!!!! and TI machines are nowhere to be found, I am afraid that your sale figures will suffer heavily inspite of mighty technical capabilities.

I know many people buy on-line nowdays, but even more people just don´t bother.

Two silly questions/coments:

http://www.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/en/ne.../fx-991EX/
quote: "Casio to Release World’s First Standard Scientific Calculator Equipped with a Spreadsheet Function"
Is this true?

And, why should a solar-cell powered machine time out? Do they? Really, I do not know and if they do I wonder why.[/align]

Edit:

sorry, just another silly question. The new Casio is able to solve simultaneous equations with four unknowns. Can TI 36X Pro do that, or is it limited to three?
I searched the TI website, but I was asked to register in order to be able to download the "guidebook" and it is not clear in the specifications.
I ask this because I have seen several times young students asking in forums for non-programmable calculators able to solve for more than three variables. Maybe this is what really matters for them when taking a decision over what model to buy.
03-11-2015, 07:45 AM
All TI, Casio, Sharp, and Canon dual-power (solar/battery) scientific calculators time-out after 10 minutes of non-use.

Only TI's (and some Sharps and some Canons) preserve calculation history. Casios do not.

The reason is probably to preserve the battery should you be working in poor or low-light conditions.

/Silicon Valley Regards
03-11-2015, 03:18 PM
From the german manual:

Die folgenden Funktionen sind in einer Gleichung nicht zulässig [the following functions are not allowed in solve -Ra]:
∫,d/dx,Σ, [product -Ra], Pol, Rec, ÷R

hth

That's a shame...the non CAS CASIO 9860gii accepts d/dx, integral in solve, was hoping they would make that available in the upcoming much more pocketable Classwiz. Surprisingly, the CASIO 9860 gii cannot handle max(function 1,function 2) in solve, integration, or d/dx...it can only give the max or min of 2 specified points. Amazed that the TI 36X Pro can do this!
03-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Edit:

sorry, just another silly question. The new Casio is able to solve simultaneous equations with four unknowns. Can TI 36X Pro do that, or is it limited to three?
I searched the TI website, but I was asked to register in order to be able to download the "guidebook" and it is not clear in the specifications.
I ask this because I have seen several times young students asking in forums for non-programmable calculators able to solve for more than three variables. Maybe this is what really matters for them when taking a decision over what model to buy.

The TI-36X Pro solves only up to three unknowns. . . . The TI guidebook is free; just type in TI-36x Pro guidebook into your Gaggle search bar, and the second hit will give you TI's free [PDF].

/Silicon Valley Regards
03-14-2015, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2015 10:00 PM by jebem.)
This state lost on power off issue on low end modern Casios is indeed a real drawback. I have one fx-991DE Plus and it also suffer from this issue.
However, all the memory contents and setup is preserved on power cycle.
What is lost after a power off is the existing entries and results shown in the display.

Did anyone actually bought one of these Classwiz machines and check for this issue?

Edit to add a small advert in English.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

03-14-2015, 11:44 PM
(03-14-2015 07:50 PM)jebem Wrote:  This state lost on power off issue on low end modern Casios is indeed a real drawback. I have one fx-991DE Plus and it also suffer from this issue.
However, all the memory contents and setup is preserved on power cycle.
What is lost after a power off is the existing entries and results in display.

Did anyone actually bought one of these Classwiz machines and check for this issue?

It's paradoxical that Casio would not save the important calculation history; many different kinds of calculations are not done in a vacuum, that is in a stand-alone fashion unrelated to a previous calculation. . . . Or, in the simplest scenario, I may have to think about the problem for several minutes; the Casio times-out; my precious equation is gone! --what good is saved memory contents in the memory registers if the equation is gone?

TIs and Casios are both permitted on testing in the U.S., yet the TI conserves calculation history and it's legal, but Casio throws away the calculation history.

/For shame.
03-15-2015, 10:40 PM
This is all very nice (spreadsheet etc.) -- but you would think, in this day and age, that at least one calculator company would include the TVM functions as part of a standard package. Students (and non-students alike!) are for the most part going to encounter interest, loan, mortgage calculations etc. sooner or later, and that these will have long term use beyond the myriad of probability functions and statistical distributions. (No, I'm not saying get rid of them! Just add more useful stuff!)
03-16-2015, 12:09 AM
(03-15-2015 10:40 PM)JimP Wrote:  This is all very nice (spreadsheet etc.) -- but you would think, in this day and age, that at least one calculator company would include the TVM functions as part of a standard package. Students (and non-students alike!) are for the most part going to encounter interest, loan, mortgage calculations etc. sooner or later, and that these will have long term use beyond the myriad of probability functions and statistical distributions. (No, I'm not saying get rid of them! Just add more useful stuff!)

TVM is available in the 12C, 12C Platinum, 17BII+, 50g and Prime, all current models in HP's line. Did you mean another calculator company?

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)