HP 41 Keyboard Overlays available finally!
11-30-2014, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2020 11:51 PM by Michael Fehlhammer.)
HP 41 Keyboard Overlays available finally!
This post has been updated on October, 26th, 2020; changes were made in chapter "shipping" (please read!), and six new overlays have been added (see links to photos in chapter "pictures").

One of the outstanding features of the HP 41 certainly is its USER mode that provides total customizability of the keyboard. Many powerful modules – think of the CCD module, for example – came with a keyboard overlay to make use of that.
Today’s great enhancements for the 41 mainly originate in the monumental opus of Angel Martin, who created several modules with hundreds of functions each. These modules cry out for specific overlays, and consequently Angel designed them and produced and offered us overlay stickers.
The main drawbacks of these stickers are: You need original overlays as a carrier. And the procedure of affixing the sticker precisely isn’t that easy.

After several unsuccessful attempts we (that is the print studio involved, a student that is good at DTP programs and me) managed to cut and print HP 41 overlays.
A water jet cutting technique was used, laser cutting proved to be inadequate.
The print color is UV resistant and even gets better when exposed to sunlight.
Abrasion strength seems to be quite good, but we have no long-term experience, of course.

Known imperfections:
- The overlays are a little thicker than the originals; that unfortunately means that you hardly can install 2 overlays in a row. Apart from that the plastic material is of similar quality and flexibility as the originals.
- The precision of water jet cutting is worse than what is achieved with punch machines.
From front view that is hardly visible, especially when the overlay is installed onto the calculator, but you can see it when looking at the rear side.
- Some overlays feature a tremendous lot of symbols; the spacing between the keys runs short, to maintain legibility the size of the symbols can’t be further reduced. The print studio guy has the difficult task to position the blank overlay extremely accurate, otherwise parts of the labelling might vanish in the key cutout. Deviations of about one tenth of a millimeter are inevitable, however. That should not affect the perceptibility of letters, but it can result in a “damaged” color key rim which borders the key only on three sides. Angel’s overlay designs use key rims very often.

The overall quality of the overlays is said to be quite good.
At least I received positive feedback from my beta testers ( thank you! ) Angel Martin, Diego Diaz, Monte Dalrymple, Jean-Francois Garnier and Raymond del Tondo. So please ask them about their impressions.

About price, availability, shipping, payment:

When ordering a single overlay that already has been designed by us for printing, the price per overlay is US-$ 8.50; ( € 7.50 in Europe ), minimum order quantity is 3 overlays. From 10 on there is a small discount: $ 8.- ( € 7.- ) per piece.
In the first few production runs we printed 20 different flavors, see the list below and the photos. While supplies last – and I expect them not to last for long – I can ship almost immediately.

Then we have to keep a record of preorders. Minimum quantity for a new production run is 50 overlays, no less than 6 of a kind. I will try to keep you informed about the preorder state of affairs.
We are approaching Christmas holidays, so please don’t be disappointed if there is a delay now and your order might be processed only in early January.

Of course we can print any other HP 41 overlay, even your very individual overlay. You just have to provide a good quality image of it, and then we’ll create the template for the print studio from it. You’d have to pay $ 50.- for that once. Of course therefore it’s worthwhile to order a larger quantity of an all-new overlay; you may contact others who are interested as well and establish a collective order.

Shipping:
UPDATE October 2020:
Shipping internationally has become more difficult and expensive recently. Most countries do not longer allow any goods to be sent in a registered letter, which was the method of choice by far up to now.
Only "documents" are allowed in a letter.
Now these overlays are flat and lightweight, maybe we can consider them being documents? I could try to send them as a letter if the customer wishes, but successful deilvery is not guaranteed.
A package with tracking information is very expensive, from Germany to the USA for example about 35 EUR ! There is a way to send it as a parcel (normally not tracked) with tracking information as an additional option, that is about 15 EUR, but it takes over 30 days since it is sea mail instead of air mail!
I would be happy to receive your thoughts and tips about that.
A collective order would make sense.

Method of payment:
Paypal only.

Pictures:
( Hopefully popular! ) overlays built so far: ( Links to photos of the overlays ):

AECRom Program Generator
Zenrom_MCED
Zenrom_Alpha
Plotter Module
Ram Editor RAMED
Rom Editor HEXEDIT
CCD Module
Assembler ( modern version )
David Assembler ( classic version )
Hepax ( classic version )
HP 16C Emulator
HP 16C Emulator Martin-McClure
PowerCL Launcher
PowerCLExtreme Launcher
SandMath
SandMath 2
SandMatrix
HP 41Z Keys
Polynomial Calc
Polynomial Calc NewVersion
3dVectorCalc
Diagnostic Module for 41 CV, CX
Diagnostic Module for 41C
FormulaEval
AutoComplete XEQ+
WarpCore
PolynROM
PowerCL_Launcher_White
PowerCLExtreme_Launcher_White

Ordering procedure:
You may place your order by sending me a PM ( private message ) here.
If you have questions, better ask them publicly in this thread, because I assume that the answer might be of general interest.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2014, 11:49 PM
RE: HP 41 Keyboard Overlays available finally!
Michael,

Although I have no immediate need for an overlay, I have to say that this is the most impressive news I have seen on the forum site in quite some time. These overlays look very good indeed!

Jeff
12-01-2014, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2014 11:07 AM by Ángel Martin.)
Thanks to Michael this project is now a reality. These overlays feel and look great, a fantastic complement to those classic and next-gen modules. They make using even the more complex and elusive functions a breeze - I fully endorse them and recommend getting your favorite ones, you won't be disappointed!
12-01-2014, 12:11 PM
(11-30-2014 11:07 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  Ordering procedure:
You may place your order by sending me a PM ( private message ) here.
Great initiative! Thank you! You have a PM 8-)
12-01-2014, 08:09 PM
I have to echo what 'Angel said. These overlays are great, and make using the 41CL much more enjoyable.

Monte
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2014, 03:41 AM
Sure beats the 1,500 I cut by hand out of card stock in the 1980s :-)

Jake
12-11-2014, 06:43 AM
The overlays are wonderful!

I like the the "modern assembler" very much. It feels like a new HP41 with
a DAVID Assembler modul....

Thanks Michael.
12-11-2014, 07:38 AM
(12-11-2014 06:43 AM)charger73 Wrote:  The overlays are wonderful!
+1, I have received mine and also I can confirm they are very good (much better in reality than the poor picture below).

[Image: 1cyoe.jpg]

Thanks Michael for bringing back from the past these overlays which are a great help to use the related modules.
12-12-2014, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2014 02:41 PM by Ángel Martin.)
(12-11-2014 06:43 AM)charger73 Wrote:  I like the the "modern assembler" very much. It feels like a new HP41 with
a DAVID Assembler modul....

Since I did the layout for that one I appreciate your comments - it was a bit of a struggle to fit in all that many legends but I think the final result makes using the DAVIDAS a much easier thing. I use it for quick code checks, using the USER mode on...
12-28-2014, 02:44 PM
(12-28-2014 11:45 AM)Geir Isene Wrote:  The CL launcher overlay that I got - how does that work and for what version of the module? I have used the PowerCL version K - and it has one launcher (SigmaCL) that I have assigned to the Sigma key. It is rather self explanatory with its own deep menu structure...

Just like that, it is the SigmaCL launcher itself - for those who fancy having it all at a glance, not relying on the prompting menus.
01-11-2015, 10:15 AM
I've received mine, nice work!
01-20-2015, 10:05 PM
I've received my overlays today.

Superb work ; extremely satisfied ! The PowerCL will be put to immediate use :-)

Thanks Michael ! And thanks Angel for providing the ROMs behind the overlays !

Best

Etienne
01-21-2015, 06:27 AM
(01-20-2015 10:05 PM)Etienne Victoria Wrote:  I've received my overlays today.
Superb work ; extremely satisfied ! The PowerCL will be put to immediate use :-)
Thanks Michael ! And thanks Angel for providing the ROMs behind the overlays !

Best
Etienne

So there's now a pretty face over the code ;-)
I agree they make using the new modules a much easier experience, hey even I re-learned a few tricks I had completely forgotten about just by investigating the overlays...
01-21-2015, 02:05 PM
I ordered the PowerCL and Sandmath 1 and 2 overlays. These will be great helps.

What? You have a 41CL and are not using the PowerCL and Sandmath roms? (along with Library 4, etc) ?

You don't know what you are missing!

Thanks Michael for getting these together. Can't wait to get mine.
01-25-2015, 12:05 PM
I agree with you Gene.

However, to use Lib4, I think I will have to abandon my redeye module & 82240 printing, because my CL being permanently on HP-IL, I have to disable IL-printer which is not possible with Lib 4.

As for Sandmath....It would require me to do Maths :-)
03-11-2015, 02:01 AM
HP 71 Overlays
Hi Michael,

Any chance you could get 71B overlays made?

Dave
03-13-2015, 02:50 AM
Hi Dave,
I have thought about it, and about HP 75C/D overlays as well. Yes, it would be possible, of course, at least I can't see major obstacles.
But: The interest in HP 41 overlays has been rather modest so far, and for several reasons I'm sure that the interest in HP 71b overlays would be significantly lower. Since I'd have to pay a considerable amount for "R&D", several test runs, the creation of the DTP templates etc., and afterwards wouldn't probably sell more than 50 overlays, this project would become just too expensive. ( For comparison: I invested almost € 1000.- in preproduction costs for the HP 41 overlays, and I sold only slightly above 100 overlays so far.)
03-13-2015, 02:56 AM
What a nice cat, Dave! Is he or she yours? Or should I say: Do you have the honour of being his / her servant?
:-)
03-13-2015, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2015 04:20 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(03-13-2015 02:50 AM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  Hi Dave,
I have thought about it, and about HP 75C/D overlays as well. Yes, it would be possible, of course, at least I can't see major obstacles.
But: The interest in HP 41 overlays has been rather modest so far, and for several reasons I'm sure that the interest in HP 71b overlays would be significantly lower. Since I'd have to pay a considerable amount for "R&D", several test runs, the creation of the DTP templates etc., and afterwards wouldn't probably sell more than 50 overlays, this project would become just too expensive. ( For comparison: I invested almost € 1000.- in preproduction costs for the HP 41 overlays, and I sold only slightly above 100 overlays so far.)

After Bob's effort with the overlay scans it seemed like the next step. Thank you for the insight into some of what's behind a project like this.

(03-13-2015 02:56 AM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  What a nice cat, Dave! Is he or she yours? Or should I say: Do you have the honour of being his / her servant?
:-)

Yes, I'm my assistant's guardian. I've had him for 13 years.

Dave
03-22-2015, 09:26 PM
I just received my 41C overlays and wanted to compliment Michael on producing such excellent accessories! They are clear, easy to read, thin and light, yet strong enough for casual use. I easily keep 2 installed, ready to use with my most common ROMs.

The overlays are priced very reasonably, even cheaper than typically listed prices for used ones on TAS. Shipping was faster than expected too, taking only 11 days from Germany to NY.

In addition to the selection of overlays listed in the OP, a new overlay has been added for Angel's PowerCL-Extreme ROM. The current selections now cover most, if not all, of the most commonly used power-user 41C ROMs.

Thanks to Michael for the initiative to create these useful and economical overlays, making my 41 machines easier and more fun to explore and use.

If you're using any of these ROMs, contact Michael and check some of these out!

Recommended without hesitation.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)