Love the calculator, orange print a problem
12-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Love the calculator, orange print a problem
The Prime just arrived yesterday after an excrutiatingly long, two week trek across the U.S. I ordered from Amazon, who is using FedEx Smartpost these days for their free shipping. They load it on a truck, and the truck gets there when it gets there. I won't be using that mode anymore. I'll gladly pay shipping for something like this if I ever have to do it again.

I love the calculator except for one thing. My 67 year old eyes can't see the orange print on the buttons. For one, the orange symbols are too small, and two, the color contrast is such that I can't even make out the symbol. I'm going to have to print out a full sized or larger photo of the calculator from the manual and color in the symbols, keeping the photo nearby so I know what each orange symbol is. All I can say is, "What were the engineers thinking with the orange color?".

Now to learn some new math and graphs! I'm also a programmer from way back (like 1960s), and can't wait to try some programming too. Fun!! Have started watching the forum regularly. This is a great place.

Take care all.

Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2014, 02:42 PM
RE: Love the calculator, orange print a problem
I don't know if the color scheme was chosen on purpose with a physical prototype or only on screen, but the prime is targeted at students and younger persons might have no problems with the keys.
Especially under artificial light contitions I do, sadly, share your problems. My eyes are only 40 years old.
12-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Here's an enhanced image I made with better contrast for anyone who needs it. Having a copy nearby does the trick. Click for the larger version.

Bill

[Image: mU7ag.jpg]
12-11-2014, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 04:18 PM by Didier Lachieze.)
There is a workaround to improve the readability of the orange / light blue key legends, it has been presented previously in this forum : transparent stickers.

Thanks to DrDevinci, I've installed a set of stickers on my Prime and while it's not perfect, I can confirm that the improvement in visibility for the shift and alpha legends is spectacular: previously it was almost impossible for me to read the legends on the grey keys, it's no more the case.

However, it seems that the labels have to be adjusted for each calculator due to variations in the location of the orange and blue legends on the keys, which makes the process of creating them quite complex.

Here is a link to a picture of my Prime with the first set of stickers that were slightly off on some keys: keyboard picture with stickers, unfortunately I don't have any good picture with the second set installed (with adjustments made on the keys A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - L - M - N - O - P - W - # ).
12-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Wow, thanks for the tip, Didier! Having a look right now. That looks good.

Bill
12-11-2014, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 09:24 PM by Gilles.)
I like this calculator too but I also hate this awfull orange...
This choice is a nonsense. Really absurd color scheme.
12-13-2014, 07:38 PM
It is a good calculator.

Especially if you have a bright lamp to improve keyboard contrast, home-made stickers for the key labels, a computer close by to use the manual with, and you don't care for "traditional" RPN use.
12-15-2014, 03:08 PM
(12-13-2014 07:38 PM)Craig Thomas Wrote:  It is a good calculator.

Especially if you have a bright lamp to improve keyboard contrast, home-made stickers for the key labels, a computer close by to use the manual with, and you don't care for "traditional" RPN use.

Have you considered that, given your above description of usability, the calculator was in fact designed for an alien species, with at least the eyes responding to different wavelengths from those of humans?

Are they just dumping their over-production on this planet?
12-15-2014, 06:23 PM
(12-15-2014 03:08 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  
(12-13-2014 07:38 PM)Craig Thomas Wrote:  It is a good calculator.

Have you considered that, given your above description of usability, the calculator was in fact designed for an alien species, with at least the eyes responding to different wavelengths from those of humans?

Are they just dumping their over-production on this planet?

If you REALLY think I was endorsing it's usability, I wasn't clear enough.

I'm not.
12-15-2014, 10:55 PM
[Image: 5C1RO.gif]

All in good fun of course!

Bill

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)