POLL: What would you like to see in a new Function/Equation Library?
12-24-2014, 02:36 PM
POLL: What would you like to see in a new Function/Equation Library?
I wanted to take a poll of what people would find useful and practical to have in a menu driven function/equation library for the Prime, with an emphasis on solving ahead of equation display.

1) I think the HP50g library is a great baseline (for those who actually have used it on a 50g), but I would be curious to know what people actually use, or have created themselves because they needed something more specific or different than was available.

2) For those who have no idea about the equation library from the 50g, same question, what do/would you actually use, or you would create that would be helpful day to day.

3) Or less specific, what subject area of functions would be helpful? (ie Mechanical Engineering categories: statics, dynamics, heat transfers, fluid flow, etc.). Electrical Eng., Structural Eng., Physics, Machining, Basket weaving, you name it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2014, 04:11 PM
RE: POLL: What would you like to see in a new Function/Equation Library?
Hello,
I am interested in creating an eq library for the mechanical engineering domain and phisics.
I remember very well the 49g+ version and this is something i'd like to be implemented in the prime.

I didn't test your mechanical library but you did a tremendous amount of work!

I tried to build an eq library in the past as a program using the solve application. One of the missing point is to add a screenshot. For example a screenshot of each mechanical beam case would be very helpful.

Thanks

Giancarlo
01-03-2015, 12:47 PM
(12-24-2014 08:21 PM)compsystems Wrote:  I want a library of electrical and electronics engineering.

+1!
01-04-2015, 03:22 PM
(12-24-2014 02:36 PM)acmeanvil Wrote:  I wanted to take a poll of what people would find useful and practical to have in a menu driven function/equation library for the Prime, with an emphasis on solving ahead of equation display.

1) I think the HP50g library is a great baseline (for those who actually have used it on a 50g), but I would be curious to know what people actually use, or have created themselves because they needed something more specific or different than was available.

2) For those who have no idea about the equation library from the 50g, same question, what do/would you actually use, or you would create that would be helpful day to day.

3) Or less specific, what subject area of functions would be helpful? (ie Mechanical Engineering categories: statics, dynamics, heat transfers, fluid flow, etc.). Electrical Eng., Structural Eng., Physics, Machining, Basket weaving, you name it.

I agree - the equation library that the 50g has is great. My particular subjects of interest would be:
* General Physics
* Astronomy
* 3D Coordinate Conversion
* Machining
* Civil Engineering
* Finance
* Electronics
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2015, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 04:19 PM by DrD.)
The idea of a library could become quite complicated, for example, what would an 'Electronics' library include that would be worthy of the "library" namesake. There are so many formulae, memory would soon fill.

One thing, in particular, that I have been using (in Python) is the Smith Chart. Interactively on a Smith Chart graphic, it would be useful to be able to plot (and label) various parameters such as impedance, it's variants, reflection coefficient, VSWR, matching transforms, s-parameters; and so forth. Just programming the chart was quite an exercise!

Another ambitious but useful tool would be for NEC code compliance: motor-load calculations, number of wires in a conduit (percent fill), wire sizing, etc.

General DC and AC applications might be just as easily 'directly calculated' or handled as single programs. (Ohms, Kirchhoff laws etc.)

My resource books on the electronics subject are thick, and filled with formula-based theory. An electronics "library" somehow wouldn't seem up to the task, if it included just a few of the basics.
01-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Civil and structural engineering library, basically.
01-05-2015, 02:03 AM
Let's keep in mind that an exhaustive equation library may not be in the cards. A library of practical, concise functions which are accessible from both a menu driven front end and/or by simply calling the functions in a user created program; is perhaps a better start.

Basic functions for NEC compliance should not be that difficult, outside figuring out what functions would be most useful.....

I am right there with Giancarlo, graphics would definitely necessary. I will admit that I haven't put them in the library I put together (though I should..), but as an amateur....I will need to figure that out.

While we are at it I want to send out a thank you to Eddie Shore, as his tutorials are great, and they inspired me to move on from UserRPL and give HP PPL a shot.

To akmon, there are a few generic structural engineering functions here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-2699.html
I am working on a adding a set of general functions that give the option of using ASD or LRFD before spitting out the answer.

I guess in the end my question for the poll is how are we going to get a function library started? Ideally it would just appear, delivered magically by HP; however that may not happen, and if it did it may not reflect what "we" the users think is most important. What can we do....?
01-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Personally I do not like Functions/Equation Libraries, but this is my opinion. What I would like to see in HP Prime is that they first fixed all the bugs, inconsistencies between HOME and CAS etc. Fix HP Connectivity Kit so when I want to edit prgm. or something I can change the font size, do search and replace, context sensitive typing etc. In short to make the editor in HP Connectivity Kit true editor not some half baked chip and crippled sort of editor.
01-05-2015, 04:56 PM
I would like to see a Equation Library for Electrical Engineering. That would be nice.
01-06-2015, 05:29 PM
I would like:
• animated gif support for those diagrams that could benefit
• an expandable, customizable, well-documented design for the library, to be able to add custom entries easily.
01-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Hello,
i finally found the time to install the mechanical library and i can confirm that you did an incredible amount of work!

I would insert the INPUT command in order to describe the name of the variables to insert.

Then i tried to include an image. it worked but each image takes a lot of memory. I am thinking the best programming approach to store a lot of images. Does the icon definition need to be in the same file where it is used?

I also tried a different approach which is the best in my opinion, the usage of programmability of the solve application. Apart from the known possibilities (select equations, solve equations for each variable) I added an image. This solution imho represent the closest approach to the eq library we are looking for.

I continue to dig into different solutions,

thanks

Giancarlo
01-07-2015, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2015 05:29 PM by mpowell@rogershsa.com.)
Homemade Math Templates:
The ability to create a math template to add to the math template library.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-09-2015, 05:41 AM
To keep it short and not too wide spread:

All kinds of calculations on L-filer / pi-filter matched or unmatched, impedance matching, etc... Calculations on pcb tracks like impedance, signal delay, ...
01-09-2015, 09:22 PM
With the most recent firmware, it seems that an equation library is quite within reach. I plan to put together the skeleton of an equation library app that will rely on the fsolve() CAS command to solve systems of equations. What I would like to avoid, however, is the collection of equations, etc.

If anyone is interested in this project, feel free to follow along. I'll post a new thread that will serve as a "blog" of the process.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)