Casio magnetic data cards for the Pro fx-1
04-14-2019, 01:56 PM
RE: Casio magnetic data cards for the Pro fx-1
(04-14-2019 01:43 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  On the original Casio magnetic card, the bottom part where the black stripes are located is transparent. So I suppose there is a LED on one side of the card tray and a photodiode on the other side so when you swipe the card the alternance of the black stripes with the transparent part of the card creates the clock signal.

Yes, that's exactly what's there. I've attached a photo of the sensor.

Andrew

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2019, 05:35 PM
(04-14-2019 01:43 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  On the original Casio magnetic card, the bottom part where the black stripes are located is transparent. So I suppose there is a LED on one side of the card tray and a photodiode on the other side so when you swipe the card the alternance of the black stripes with the transparent part of the card creates the clock signal.

There don't seem to be enough stripes for a bit clock unless the data capacity is really small (about 10 bytes?), which is why I thought they were more to do with speed measurement.

— Ian Abbott
04-20-2019, 05:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2019 07:47 AM by blackjetrock.)
If there's anyone out there with both a Casio PRO fx-1 and a magnetic card and has been able to record and read a card, would it be possible to write down the EXACT sequence of keystrokes and switch settings that result in a successful card record and read?
The reason for this is that I have a PRO fx-1 and a 'card', but I'm not able to get a program recorded and read back. The odd thing is that I write a program, record the card, check it and get no error light. I then read it and check it and again get no error light. When I look at or run the program, however, there's nothing there. I know about the AC followed by MAC that has to be done, but the manual doesn't say what switch settings you need to have set up when you do it. If I can get a known working sequence then I can see if my card or calculator is not working.

Andrew
04-20-2019, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2019 08:19 AM by Didier Lachieze.)
To write on the magnetic card:
  • Move the switch to the RECORD position
  • Press AC then MAC
  • Slide the card from left to right, regularly, not too fast, not too slow

To read a magnetic card:
  • Move the switch to the READ position
  • Press AC then MAC
  • Slide the card from left to right, as you did to write
  • Move the switch to the COMP position and press START to launch the program

You can see the reading of a card on this video .
04-20-2019, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the reply.
So on this page:
http://casio.ledudu.com/pockets.asp?lg=eng&type=264

it says at the bottom of the instructions to press AC and MAC before writing a program. Now, it uses 'write' to mean type in a program, rather than record on a card, so does it mean press those keys in WRITE mode or RECORD? If you press them in WRITE mode then the AC clears the program memory and the MAC gets recorded as a keystroke. If it means before you write a card then it is being inconsistent in naming RECORD as write.

Do you use the keystrokes you listed to successfully write a program to a card?
I'm pretty sure I have done those keystrokes and I don't get a successful read. No error LEDs light up, though, which has me confused.
04-20-2019, 01:08 PM
(04-20-2019 08:19 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  You can see the reading of a card on this video .

What the world needs now is google translate for youtube. No doubt someone inside google is working on it as I type this....

--Bob Prosperi
04-20-2019, 06:01 PM
(04-20-2019 01:08 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(04-20-2019 08:19 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  You can see the reading of a card on this video .

What the world needs now is google translate for youtube. No doubt someone inside google is working on it as I type this....

Actually, if you turn on subtitles, you can also have an automatic translation. ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-20-2019, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2019 01:30 PM by rprosperi.)
(04-20-2019 06:01 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(04-20-2019 01:08 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  What the world needs now is google translate for youtube. No doubt someone inside google is working on it as I type this....

Actually, if you turn on subtitles, you can also have an automatic translation. Wink

See what I mean! In fact I was wrong, they did this long before I wrote that.

Thanks Massimo, I will check it out, even if it is about Casio.

--Bob Prosperi
04-21-2019, 07:17 AM
Amazing ! How did you milled the 85 slots?
04-21-2019, 10:47 AM
Wouldn't it be simpler to use clear cards instead of white cards?

— Ian Abbott
04-23-2019, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2019 05:02 PM by blackjetrock.)
I've now made quite a few of these and they seem to work fine.

Once the CNC was set up cutting the slots is fairly straightforward. I run through twice, once to cut and once to clean up. I then need to tidy the cuts up with a scalpel as it's pretty untidy. I think I may be melting the plastic a bit.
I noticed that there was copper in the cards, which I thought a bit odd, until I found out that I'd accidentally bought RFID magnetic stripe cards. They must have been the cheapest I could find. So I was seeing the cutter rip into the aerial. I can't see it being a problem. Non RFID might be better though.

https://youtu.be/1NByD6thetA
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3571814
https://trochilidae.blogspot.com/2019/04...comes.html

Andrew
04-29-2019, 06:44 AM
I've now managed to make about 20 of these cards. They take about 30 minutes to mill and about 3 or 4 minutes to clean up and test. I've also found that you don't seem to need all of the slots. The original card had 85 slots, I've found that it works fine, or seems to, with just 54. i think there's a lot of card data capacity that isn't used.
I've also managed to reverse engineer the data on the card from scope traces and found the keycodes:

Top row (MAC, GOTO, ...) Cx
2nd row Bx
3rd row Ax

Numbers Fx
Ex keys (MR, M+, ...) Dx

Data written to card in reverse step order, i.e. step 127 first.
Bits within bytes written in reverse order.
So ironically the Ex keycodes could have been encoded as hex Ex, but weren't.

Anyone out there with a PRO fx-1 fancy testing some of these cards? I'm interested to see if they work in other machines and if a program recorded on my machine can be read in others.

Andrew
04-29-2019, 10:56 AM
(04-29-2019 06:44 AM)blackjetrock Wrote:  Anyone out there with a PRO fx-1 fancy testing some of these cards? I'm interested to see if they work in other machines and if a program recorded on my machine can be read in others.

I'm interested, I've sent you a PM.
08-13-2020, 04:17 PM
Finally I could get an CASIO FX-1 PRO wih some light scratchs, but in good working order.

I had adquired 10 lovely cards manufactured form our friend blackjetrock, that contain a test program.

10 out of 10 worked given the correct answer to the test program 5500000.

I have noticed that for a good reading of cards, a more important factor than the sliding speed, is that they should slided well perpendicular and felling that magnetic strip is brushing against the write/read head.

Great work Blackjetrock

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)