Advanced User's Reference - printed version
02-28-2014, 12:13 PM
RE: Advanced User's Reference - printed version
(02-28-2014 09:48 AM)HP67 Wrote:  
(02-27-2014 08:10 PM)dizzy Wrote:  I received the manuals today. They have come out very nicely indeed, although a bit thicker than I imagined (a single volume version would have been a beast, and not very practical). Anyway, I'm really happy with the results and I'm sure you'll all agree.

Have you posted pics anywhere? I'm thinking about getting a local print shop to spiral bind a bunch of old scans and I'd like to see what you came up with.

Here are some photos of Volume 1:

https://app.box.com/s/9ljki2jdmx1nl9zcrx8i
https://app.box.com/s/x0ayaor5mptq7edgl3lp
https://app.box.com/s/9t8duggsm47rt80izcp4

The only slight disappointment is with the lamination. I was expecting it to be a hard-wearing protective covering like you find on ID cards, but it's more of a thin glossy finish. It looks great though.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Looks cute so far Smile
02-28-2014, 01:30 PM
(02-28-2014 01:07 PM)walter b Wrote:  Looks cute so far Smile

+1
02-28-2014, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 01:39 PM by HP67.)
(02-28-2014 12:13 PM)dizzy Wrote:  The only slight disappointment is with the lamination. I was expecting it to be a hard-wearing protective covering like you find on ID cards, but it's more of a thin glossy finish. It looks great though.

Thanks, those look superb! The covers and pages look very professional. That's what I had in mind to have done locally.

As far as the lamination, I guess you mean the book covers? I remember in the 1980s I had found a supply of plastic sheet with glue on one side that was meant to be used to cover softbound books. It worked great, I wish I could find it again. It was thick and protected the whole outside of the book and was easy enough to apply and trim. I also remember I loaned a favorite book that I had covered with this stuff to a coworker who lent it to someone else without asking me and I've never seen the book since.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
02-28-2014, 02:00 PM
(02-28-2014 01:38 PM)HP67 Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 12:13 PM)dizzy Wrote:  The only slight disappointment is with the lamination. I was expecting it to be a hard-wearing protective covering like you find on ID cards, but it's more of a thin glossy finish. It looks great though.
... I remember in the 1980s I had found a supply of plastic sheet with glue on one side that was meant to be used to cover softbound books. It worked great, I wish I could find it again. It was thick and protected the whole outside of the book and was easy enough to apply and trim. I also remember I loaned a favorite book that I had covered with this stuff to a coworker who lent it to someone else without asking me and I've never seen the book since.

We covered that topic at least once before (http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=384&pid=2889) already.

d:-)
03-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Sorry for the delay folks. The postage materials got lost.

The manuals are now in transit. Unless you're from Norway. In which case, I'll post your set in the next day or two.

For some reason, I have an extra pair of Volume 1s. If anyone would like to buy one of these (£8 + postage), please PM me.

Shaun
03-11-2014, 05:24 PM
(03-11-2014 05:22 PM)dizzy Wrote:  Sorry for the delay folks. The postage materials got lost.

The manuals are now in transit. Unless you're from Norway. In which case, I'll post your set in the next day or two.

For some reason, I have an extra pair of Volume 1s. If anyone would like to buy one of these (£8 + postage), please PM me.

Shaun

Reminds me of those extra screws I end up with when putting together a toy for my son -- without ever reading the manuals. :-)

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
03-12-2014, 02:58 AM
(03-11-2014 05:22 PM)dizzy Wrote:  For some reason, I have an extra pair of Volume 1s. If anyone would like to buy one of these (£8 + postage), please PM me.

Shaun

Maybe you should hold them for a bit just in case, for some reason, someone receives a pair of Volume 2s. ;-)

--Bob Prosperi
03-12-2014, 12:19 PM
(03-12-2014 02:58 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 05:22 PM)dizzy Wrote:  For some reason, I have an extra pair of Volume 1s. If anyone would like to buy one of these (£8 + postage), please PM me.

Shaun

Maybe you should hold them for a bit just in case, for some reason, someone receives a pair of Volume 2s. ;-)

The thought crossed my mind. :-)

However, I weighed all the packages to check the Volume 2s were evenly distributed.
03-12-2014, 12:53 PM
These arrived this morning and caused considerable amusement at my workplace. They look great! Thanks for organising this. Wouldn't it be helpful if HP had a service like this already set up, for those people wanting printed manuals? Since they haven't, thanks again.

Nigel (UK)
03-12-2014, 01:29 PM
(03-12-2014 12:53 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Wouldn't it be helpful if HP had a service like this already set up, for those people wanting printed manuals?

Certainly it would be helpful if HP ...

Alas, HP prefers not to do it Sad
03-12-2014, 01:53 PM
(03-12-2014 12:53 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  These arrived this morning and caused considerable amusement at my workplace. They look great! Thanks for organising this. Wouldn't it be helpful if HP had a service like this already set up, for those people wanting printed manuals? Since they haven't, thanks again.

Nigel (UK)

Totally agree with the above. Looks good, lies flat on the table and already taken into use to find a print command for my new 82240b printer! Smile

Thanks again,

Cheers, Terje
03-12-2014, 06:54 PM
(03-11-2014 05:22 PM)dizzy Wrote:  The manuals are now in transit.
Arrived today and looking good! Thanks again for doing this,
Paul Onions
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-13-2014, 07:51 AM
Agreed, very nice job, thank you Shaun for your work making these available.

Seeing the size of them in print does emphasise just how much I still have to learn about RPL!
03-16-2014, 06:59 AM
Received yesterday in France. Wonderful manuals, professional print quality, thanks Shaun for managing this !!!
03-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Also received in Germany yesterday. Very good looking.

d:-)
03-16-2014, 04:17 PM
(03-16-2014 03:33 PM)walter b Wrote:  Also received in Germany yesterday. Very good looking.

Indeed, very well done! Thanks a lot, Shaun!

Martin
03-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Any chance of doing the same thing with the HP-50g User's Guide? I'd love to sit down on a golden beach with a copy of this and read it cover to cover!

Nigel (UK)
03-16-2014, 08:02 PM
(03-16-2014 07:50 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Any chance of doing the same thing with the HP-50g User's Guide? I'd love to sit down on a golden beach with a copy of this and read it cover to cover!

Nigel (UK)

Possibly, if there's enough interest. :-)

There's nothing like having a good old slab o' paper in your hands, right?
03-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Me too, me too!

Martin

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)